Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: New player asking for help with a rules/strategy question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Ostrander
Vietnam
Washington
flag msg tools
I plan on playing my first game of Descent with two friends and having them each control two players (4 total). I will be the Overlord. I’ve read the rules and two points, listed below, lead me to a strategy:

1) The rules specifically state that attacks are made against individual squares, NOT figures. This is to permit creative blast attacks.

2) The Overlord gains 1 threat when an attack produces two surge points.

Strategy:

In the first room I’m thinking that I’ll move all creatures in a pack to the back and have them attack blank squares next to them hoping they’ll achieve two surge points to produce threat tokens. When the heroes move close I’ll try two things, depending on figure placement: first, I’ll try to swarm the nearest hero to get an early kill, and second I’ll try to run past the heros into the starting area where I can close the door and possibly spawn some pain. IF they heroes ignore the passed creatures, they’ll continue to make attacks and generate more threat for me.

Questions:

1. Anything amiss with the strategy above, rules-wise?

2. If an attack misses but two surge points appear, does the Overlord still get his point of threat?

3. If a ranged attack fails due to lack of range but two surge points appear, does the Overlord get his point of threat?

The players are gamers and will adapt quickly to Descent. I think the trick above can be generally applied and used to pump up threat. I haven’t read through all the FAQs since this is a very specific question, and hope you’ll forgive me if I’ve missed a critical rule. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The surges-for-threat rule was errata'd to prevent exactly that sort of thing. FAQ page 5:

Q: Under what circumstances can the overlord receive threat for rolling surges on an attack roll?
A: The overlord may spend two surges on each attack roll to gain one threat. He may do this on any attack that hits a hero. This represents a change from previous FAQ rulings on this subject.

However, having the monsters retreat in order to do this probably isn't very effective in most cases anyway. Monsters have a strong tendency to die in one hit in Descent (at least once the heroes learn how to properly outfit themselves), so if a monster is in a position where they could attack a hero, you should pretty much always take the shot. Even if that requires charging into absurd danger. Because even if you don't, the monster will probably die next turn anyway.

You should be aware that the first quest is designed to be fairly easy on the heroes. You should also be aware that the scaling rules for different numbers of heroes don't really work, so playing with 4 heroes is easiest (for them) and winning with only 2 heroes is extremely difficult in most quests. Most people seem to feel that the base game quests are most balanced with 3 or 4 heroes and that the expansion quests should always be played with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
if you miss (get an X) you do not get a threat if you get 2 surges.

I know it's legal for a magic attack to target a space, I don't know if it is for melee or range. Just having beastmen beat on the floor seems kind of cheesey. Unless you are using a monster like the dark priests that get a lot of power dice to use, you would probably do much more damage to the players by actually attacking them every chance you get rather than just hoping for double surges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
artmark wrote:
I know it's legal for a magic attack to target a space, I don't know if it is for melee or range.

All attacks work the same way in this respect. It just usually only matters for magic attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.