Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules questions: bake bread, mansion/half-timbered house, reed hut rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Carew
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you use the "Bake Bread" action, can you bake bread with several bread-baking instruments at the same time (provided you own them)?

Also, if you have the minor improvements "Mansion" (K deck) and "Half-Timbered House" (E deck), does each stone room count for five points? The Mansion says that you add 2 bonus points for each stone room, and in parenthesis "in total you receive 4 points per room instead of the usual 2 points. I assume the two minor improvements stack, but I'm not sure of it.

Also, the Reed Hut from the K deck:
Place one family member token that you have not yet brought into the game onto this card, where it will live for the rest of the game. It can be used to take actions (starting from the round when you play this card) and must be fed, but it is not worth any points while living in the Reed Hut. (You can move this person into your home later, using a "Family growth" action.)
Do you feed the person one food on the first harvest after playing this card, or one food on the first harvest after moving the person from the Reed Hut to your home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
denalin wrote:
If you use the "Bake Bread" action, can you bake bread with several bread-baking instruments at the same time (provided you own them)?

You can bake with as many improvements as you have. Assuming you can bake with them and assuming you have enough grain!

denalin wrote:
Also, if you have the minor improvements "Mansion" (K deck) and "Half-Timbered House" (E deck), does each stone room count for five points? The Mansion says that you add 2 bonus points for each stone room, and in parenthesis "in total you receive 4 points per room instead of the usual 2 points. I assume the two minor improvements stack, but I'm not sure of it.

I'm not sure about this one. I also assumed that they stacked, but I could be wrong!

denalin wrote:
Place one family member token that you have not yet brought into the game onto this card, where it will live for the rest of the game. It can be used to take actions (starting from the round when you play this card) and must be fed, but it is not worth any points while living in the Reed Hut. (You can move this person into your home later, using a "Family growth" action.)
Do you feed the person one food on the first harvest after playing this card, or one food on the first harvest after moving the person from the Reed Hut to your home.

You feed him two food every harvest. If you bring him into your house with a family growth action then treat him like any other newborn. If it is a harvest round, then he only gets one food. If not, then two food from the first harvest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
denalin wrote:

The rules on the Half-timbered House card and rulebook appendix explicitly say that the Half-timbered House does not stack with the Mansion. However, either Minor Improvement stacks with the Occupation Chief, which would cause Stone Rooms to be effectively worth 4 or 5 points each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
denalin wrote:

Yes, exactly as Jeff qualifies it.

Quote:

No, they do not. Take another look at the Half-Timbered House, which specifically states this.

Quote:
Place one family member token that you have not yet brought into the game onto this card, where it will live for the rest of the game. It can be used to take actions (starting from the round when you play this card) and must be fed, but it is not worth any points while living in the Reed Hut. (You can move this person into your home later, using a "Family growth" action.) Do you feed the person one food on the first harvest after playing this card, or one food on the first harvest after moving the person from the Reed Hut to your home.

The Unofficial Compendium 2.1 opines, "if you use 'Family Growth' to move this person into your home, it counts as a newborn in that Round, and may not take an action." Now, I do not believe this is entirely correct; in fact, it confuses things. Here's my take:

So long as your Reed Hut person stays in the Reed Hut, it is not a member of your family, as per the card. You must feed it 2 food at each harvest. The REAL question is can you use your RH person to take an action and then use Family Growth to bring your RH person into your family, moving it from whatever action it just took over to the Family Growth space you just took. Personally, I think, yes, you can. It's sneaky, but I see nothing wrong with it. Others may disagree, and I haven't checked the latest Compendium to see if this has been clarified. Beyond that, the only way this "new" person could be considered a newborn is if you bring it over to your family during a Round that ends in a harvest, as per the normal mechanics of the game. Personally, I think it shouldn't be treated as a newborn AT ALL, particularly if it has already taken an action prior to being brought over, which 99 times out of a hundred it will have. Your mileage may vary, and I do recommend double-checking the latest edition of the Compendium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Cassidy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
denalin wrote:

Besides what other people have already said, I spotted something that may need clarification: A newborn only costs one food if they were added to the family on a turn IMMEDIATELY preceding a harvest (i.e., if they haven't yet had an opportunity to take an action). If you add a family member on turn 12, they still cost two food at the harvest after turn 13.

I wasn't sure if you knew this already or not, but your wording above leads me to believe you may not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carew
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Balfa wrote:
denalin wrote:

Besides what other people have already said, I spotted something that may need clarification: A newborn only costs one food if they were added to the family on a turn IMMEDIATELY preceding a harvest (i.e., if they haven't yet had an opportunity to take an action). If you add a family member on turn 12, they still cost two food at the harvest after turn 13.

I wasn't sure if you knew this already or not, but your wording above leads me to believe you may not.

Thanks for pointing that out! We had been playing on a per-stage, not per-round basis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
The REAL question is can you use your RH person to take an action and then use Family Growth to bring your RH person into your family, moving it from whatever action it just took over to the Family Growth space you just took. Personally, I think, yes, you can.

This has been clarified by Susanne Rosenberg on the Lookout forums: the person in the reed hut always is plaed last, and so cannot take an action before being brought into the house with Family Growth.

But note that I'm on holiday 10,000 km from the nearest copy of the compendium at the moment, so this is all from memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom 2
msg tools
No there is a guest that is able to play after the Reed Hut occupant, see Keg Z314. That guest can possibly remove a played Reed Hut occupant from the board.

And of little issue is what happens when the Keg guest plays Reed Hut? Supposedly, the occupant can play this round. However, how does the occupant then play before Keg Z314 since that guest has already played?

More importantly is what happens if the last peep in round 14 plays Reed Hut, then according to the compendium, the player cannot place the occupant on FG to move the occupant into the home. This action is possibly the last action of the game. The card and the compendium both state that after playing the Reed Hut, the occupant can be moved into the house by using FG. However, the compendium says that later the player cannot do that.

At least the compendium attempts to say so. It actually says "another family member" must use family growth to bring the occupant into the home. But the occupant is not a family member. So what family member is it that cannot use family growth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.