Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Interested in this game, have an important question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
After purchasing Arkham Horror recently and playing it, I am wondering how difficult Twilight Imperium is compared to the former.

AH was my first real board game (not counting Monopoly and such).

The theme of TI speaks to me greatly, I love star wars, star trek, dune etc - basically anything Sci-fi. I have to admit, I've watched in awe at my local gaming store whenever I saw the box.

So, would this be a solid purchase for a novice although enthousiastic board gamer? And how difficult is it compared to a game such as Arkham Horror? (seeing that both are FFG games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's a bit more complex. In Arkham at least you're playing cooperatively, TI if you forget a rule someone might not catch it.

But if you tackled AH and if you're such a fan of sci-fi I'd say to go for it. Just remember the first 1 or 2 plays you'll be getting used to the rules (some people just use the first games to get the rules and quit halfway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Ruleswise I'd say that both games are on similar levels. TI is a bit more complex than Arkham, but OTOH the rulebook is better organised, which makes things a bit easier.
Three things you should keep in mind about TI in comparison to Arkham:
- The game is loooong. Yes, even longer than Arkham Horror.
- The game is huge. Yes, it needs even more space than Arkham Horror.
- The game doesn't scale so well. While Arkham practicaly works with one to six players, TI is best with four or six players. Some people even say, that it's only best with six.

So, if any of these points might be a problem for you, think twice about buying it: It is a marvelous piece of a game and it's sheer bliss just unpacking it, punching out the counters and marverling at the beautiful production. But it's rather expensive if you will not get much play out of it and take up an awful lot of space in your cabinet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you love sci-fi and think the game looks interesting, pick it up. There are a fair number of rules but I find most of them to be very intuitive; after a round or two things will flow smoothly. You'll find some great player aides here along with reviews that do a great job of explaining how the game works.

If you can handle Arkham Horror you can handle Twilight Imperium 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a fair number of games of AH and a few games of TI. I feel that the complexity of TI is a bit higher. The game length is a good bit different. I've not played in a game of TI that came even CLOSE to an actual end. Turns are LONG and the game goes a long while. Any game I've played in has been called by mutual consent, usually after 5 - 6 hours.

Our AH games go awhile as well, but they DO end...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to plan for 1 1/2 hours per player. That's usually enough time for us to get through. Yeah, 5 or 6 player games are going to take a long time but 3 and 4 player games are fairly reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
I've played a fair number of games of AH and a few games of TI. I feel that the complexity of TI is a bit higher. The game length is a good bit different. I've not played in a game of TI that came even CLOSE to an actual end. Turns are LONG and the game goes a long while. Any game I've played in has been called by mutual consent, usually after 5 - 6 hours.

Our AH games go awhile as well, but they DO end...!

I've played 6 player games that didn't exceed 4 hours. It's all about people thinking what they're gonna do before their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I would do.

First thing... suck it up and get the expansion. It makes the game better and while the initial effort of learning the game may be a bit more it is certainly easier than learning the base game and then re-learning the expansion. Also the base game itself without the rules changes and the new objectives is really only an average experience. Without the expansion you run the risk of the people thinking that they invested a lot of time in a so-so game. Shattered Empires makes this game a heck of a lot better.

Next plan on the 1st game being a 3 or 4 player game. These games work as well as a 6 player game but you will be able to get it done in a reasonable amount of time while still learning all the base rules.

The difficulty level of this game is no greater than that of Arkham Horror. In fact I find it a lot less fiddly than AH.

If you have a group of gamers willing to try this on out I say it is the perfect purchase for the enthusiastic novice gamer. You will have the energy to put into the game and you will not be distracted by piles of lesser, simpler games to play like most established groups run into.

Lastly. After you get the game, make sue you play it 3 times before you pass any real judgment on it. It will take that many plays for everything to gel to the point where you are actually playing the game.

If you want to try out a game head over to www.ti3wiki.org and get into an online game. It is a great way to learn the rules.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Roberts
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what you say, this game is a must buy. It's the best game I've ever played.

Don't fret if you only have 3 players, that's my regular group now and even though we were disappointed at first, 3 player games are actually a wonderful dynamic. You get quicker games and therefore are more likely to try risky strategies.

And no one can hold onto the lead for long with 2 other players biting at their heels. And as soon as another person takes the lead, allegiances change. Superb game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful. I'll look into buying it after I've played some more Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Murphy
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add a coda to this discussion, I taught the game one afternoon to three friends who had previously never played anything more complicated than Risk. After a couple rounds of confusion and questions, it sunk in and suddenly everyone's formulating their devious plans of conquest. Anyone interested can learn the rules and enjoy this amazing game.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Buy both the base and expansion. Read the directions and ask alot of questions at FF and BBG, they always get answered within an hour. Download the FAQ (Very Important) Once you get the GIST of how the game is played it is actually pretty easy and absolutely the best 'engine' I have played so far. I wish FF would put out another like it, maybe a WW2 game (would that be COOL or what) or an ancient empire game. There are so many options you basicly get 100+ games in one and will not have to buy any other games for a while. In fact every game I have bought after this one has been a bit of a dissapointment.

To reiterate buy BOTH boxes, ask questions, you will love it.

Oh yes and tell everyone where you live, I love showing people how to play, and I bet many others do, so there is always a chance to get an experienced player to show you the ropes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a version of TI that introduces tactical battles on a separate map

Anyway, I agree, buy the expansion as well, or at the very least print out the newer strategy 8 card that is available online, it massively improves the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
I'd love to see a version of TI that introduces tactical battles on a separate map

There have been fan-made variants along these lines, but they usually don't get very far because people realize it just adds length to an already-very-lengthy game.

However, I think a tactical-style combat "side-game" could be fun. I've thought about making one that uses the TI3 figures to represent major battles, perhaps even in the TI3 "history" (such as the battle at the Quann wormhole that sparked the original Twilight Wars).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got the cash to buy both the basic game and the expansion at the same time? !!!

Is it really a total re-learn when you get bthe expansion? SDurely not?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
I haven't got the cash to buy both the basic game and the expansion at the same time? !!!

Is it really a total re-learn when you get bthe expansion? SDurely not?!

Nope, the expansion expands on the basic principles, adding some and changing for instance mainly the Strategic cards.

So I would say first buy TI3, play it a few times and when you have more money (and see that the game hits the table quite regularly), go for the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, much of the expansions new stuff is kind of "buffet style" - IE, many of the new components added you can choose to add or leave out independent of each other, so when you get the expansion, you can introduce a few new things at a time and still be OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on which parts of the expansion you use. The new objectives are for more attack oriented than those in the base game. And if you replace Imperial with Bureaucracy, getting those objectives become even more important. And so if your main way of playing the base game was to turtle, you'd have to learn new ways of playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.