Moto Grand Prix» Forums » Rules

Subject: Redlining and Losing Grip? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Valentine
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
If you roll 6,6 do you red line and lose grip?
Or do you lose grip for 1-5 doubles only?

Second question, when rolling 6,1 or 1,1 and flipping to 6,6 is it still redlining or only when you roll 6,6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you roll 6,6, and you choose not to flip them, then you both redline and lose grip. If you roll 6,6 but flip down to 6,1, then you would neither redline nor lose grip.

Here's the losing grip sentence from the rulebook: "When a player rolls and uses, without flipping them, two dice with the same result (doubles) the bike loses grip."

The redlining question is a little less clear in the rules. If you read just the redlining section, it sounds like you would redline whenever you use double 6 regardless of whether you rolled them or flipped to them: "If a player uses a double 6, an Engine check is required."

But, the effects of movement paragraph that introduces these effects states that "these situations happen when the player rolls and uses a double".

We've always played that flipping to a 6,6 causes a redline, but now that I look closer at this and take that intro paragraph into account, I'm not sure that's right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Valentine
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Here is the official reading of the rules...

On page 11,

"In the game, these situations happen when the player rolls and uses a double - that is, rolls the same number on both dice. Further effects of movement are discussed in the Expert rules. REDLINING If the player uses a double "6", an Engine characteristic test is required."

In reading both paragraphs together it looks like you only redline when you roll double 6's, not if you flip to them.

Therefore, any double loses grip and double 6's also redline.

This is not so great news, because as we've played a few games now, it appears that the only thing that gives people a chance to catch the lead bike (when it's a runaway) is when that lead bike is low on engine points and continues to roll 6,6 6,1 and 1,1 because it slows him down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everything you said, and here are some more thoughts:

I ran this question past my co-worker who also plays the game. He made the point that sometimes introductory paragraphs are meant to be introductory paragraphs and not hard rules, and also that these paragraphs are much less scrutinized than the rules that follow.

The redline section itself consistently says "uses" double 6; so I don't think this interpretation is too out of line.

Regardless of the rule interpretation, we agree with your opinion that flipping to double sixes = redline makes for a better game and that's the way we'll continue to play it. If all else fails: house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure of the official rule as it is a little unclear, but we play that if you use double 6s, regardless if whether you roll or flip the dice, then you redline. I agree with the above posters that it makes for a more fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is an old discussion thread, but I just got the game and have been looking up things.

I think the BEST interpretation for this ruling is in the Game Summary on pages 22 & 23.

The way I read Redlining is that if you USE double 6's you check for redline.

Look at page 22 (Standard rules) AND 23 (Expert rules) #5 you can see it says "USES" a double '6'. NOT rolled a double 6.

Then, as for doing a Wheelie OR a Sideslip it says on page 23 Expert rules summary; "If the player rolls and uses any double dice score..." So I believe that "IF" you roll a 6 and a 1 and flip the 1 to a 6, then you would do an Engine Redline Check, but you are NOT required to do a Wheelie OR a Sideslip.

I think that the reasoning for not doing a wheelie for a "Flipped" 12 is that you are controlling the 6 + 1 to a 12 as if you were accelerating. Same as if you rolled 2 #5's, you have the choice of reducing your speed to a 7 OR take the sideslip/wheelie penalty and use the 10.

Just my thoughts on this.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.