Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a board gaming community, I assume there are a fair number of users here who like Strategy (or Tactics) RPGs such as Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, Vandal Hearts, Fire Emblem, and other such games. As such, I'd like to direct you to a poll that I made to mostly satiate my curiosity as well as what might be construed as "market research" for the little voice in my head that comes about every few years that tells me I should try to program (or at least design) my dream video game.

The poll can be found at http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/443714
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm currently playing through FFTA2 (about 50 hours in). I like SRPG's a lot, but I think that one of the neatest innovations would be a good multiplayer mode. If you can pull off a good multiplayer SRPG, or, ideally, a good MMO SRPG, it would be great. I've been toying with the idea myself for the past decade or so. I prefer the Ogre Battle style of SRPG a little more though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most recent SRPG I've really enjoyed is Jeanne D'Arc for the PSP. It had a great balance of gameplay and storyline. The narrative allowed me to feel invested in all the battles and the battle system was easy to pick up but developed complexity as the game progressed. It's definitely worth a look if you haven't already played it.

Good luck with your endeavors. The more SRPGs out there the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NishaDS wrote:
The most recent SRPG I've really enjoyed is Jeanne D'Arc for the PSP.

Yeah, that game looks really neat, but I'm not compelled enough to buy a PSP (nor do I know anyone who owns one).

NishaDS wrote:
Good luck with your endeavors. The more SRPGs out there the better.

Just a pipe dream. Things always peter out at the implementation stage. I have good programming theory, but I can't stand coding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play alot of SRPGs but I like them. I now have (I would like to say "play" but I don't play it too often beacuse I so suck at it) Battle for Wesnoth. It's freeware but it's very good for a freeware. It has nice graphics, lots of units and lots of community made missions and campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scivias wrote:
I don't play alot of SRPGs but I like them. I now have (I would like to say "play" but I don't play it too often beacuse I so suck at it) Battle for Wesnoth. It's freeware but it's very good for a freeware. It has nice graphics, lots of units and lots of community made missions and campaigns.

I agree Battle for Wesnoth is great value for the price, but there are two things I can't stand in that game:

1 Units can easily get swamped by enemies if you're not paying attention, and dead units stay dead. I prefer games where I get a chance to think "hm, this unit is in danger, I should adjust my tactics accordingly" as opposed to "well, I guess I shouldn't have put him there".

2 You have to make a point of distributing experience on each map by having weaker units finish off units, since experience is a finite resource. That means that you have to put weaker units into precarious situations, which is a problem because of the above point.

(Can anyone tell that this is a glorified bump? There are a fair number of responses in the quiz now if you are interested in what the results look like.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely sure yet what it is, but I'm playing Opoona for the Wii. I couldn't resist the new game price of $14.99. The art style is semi-deplorable, but the game has garnered sufficiently interesting reviews that I was willing to commit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not enjoyed those types of games very often, if at all, on consoles - however, on PC you can find some real gems of this nature. The original X-com comes to mind along with Master of Magic and similar games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.