Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that I'm never tempted to buy age II or III Arenas. The tech requirements seem high, and the actions and resources always seem put to better use elsewhere. They seem intended as an emergency happiness solution, but I never seem to find happiness so significant that there isn't a better workaround.

Temples strike me about the same way, but I usually have one age A "lying around" as it were, so sometimes getting a I or II or III for an upgrade works out, given the lower tech costs. Never true for Arenas, even when I happen to have an age I.

Anyway, I'm not all that experienced, just under 10 plays, so I was hoping to hear from some good players on this. Do you buy them? If not, where do you think the cost/benefits are off?

(Edited to fix my Temple age misstep.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had only a single game out of 20+ where I considered playing the Age III arena. I was desperate for happiness and was short of workers. I already had one Age I arena.

Usually, Bread & Circuses is good enough to get you through the game. It, theaters, and wonders are enough. Temples would be more attractive if they weren't simply gimped theaters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just about always get a B&C if I can, and quite often will pick up the Pro Sports as well as long as the CA cost is low. This is basically because I never pick up Temple cards and the Theater cards are often unavailable or too costly. Plus, I tend to try and be one of the top two militaries, and the Arenas fit in quite well with that goal. The Arena science cost isn't too high at all compared to the other Urbans of the same Era.

If I have two B&C, one will usually get upgraded giving me plenty of Happiness, and then the other becomes available for repurposing if the Food gets tight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
As usual, it depends. Impact of Competition is a really powerful bonus if you have military and high-level arenas. Also, I try to drain my yellow bank, and both food and happiness are needed for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
Temples strike me about the same way, but I usually have one "lying around" as it were, so sometimes getting a II or III for an upgrade works out, given the lower tech costs.

That Age III temple is a great tech bargain. I grab it every time I see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
waddball wrote:
Temples strike me about the same way, but I usually have one "lying around" as it were, so sometimes getting a II or III for an upgrade works out, given the lower tech costs.

It is, only what do you do for happy faces prior to the middle of Age III?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Smoo wrote:
waddball wrote:

It is, only what do you do for happy faces prior to the middle of Age III?

Happy faces are for wusses. A little discontentedness will make my peeps appreciate the good times when they arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Denholm
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:

I presume this is a Smoo joke of some sort. There *is* no Age III temple, which is one of the weaknesses of the Temple track.

Each game for me is different, but there is one thing in common. My happy face tech is - whatever is cheap and available. Whatever gets those yellow guys through the night...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to in my last game, but somehow they got by me. Could be because I was still in a Theocracy, and civil actions were getting tight. I ended up making an Age A temple in Age III instead. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thomcat wrote:
I presume this is a Smoo joke of some sort. There *is* no Age III temple, which is one of the weaknesses of the Temple track.

Yes, I misstated it. You start with an age A temple, I just transposed that it my head to a I, so I-II-III instead of A-I-II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
staffan t
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use Age III arenas as an emergency for happiness or a chance for end score by that event that gives bonus for happiness. The military bonus is quite low during age III.

Happiness is hard to balance right in the game. Its so much easier if you can get a few happiness through wonders or territories during the early ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
As usual, it depends. Impact of Competition is a really powerful bonus if you have military and high-level arenas. Also, I try to drain my yellow bank, and both food and happiness are needed for that.

Yeah, I haven't yet had that particular card come up when an arena choice was still on the table, but I see that it could be big.

To your point about yellows, don't you usually find you just "incidentally" (I realize that's not literally true) pick up a few happiness here and there? So I can see one arena in this scenario, but never more than one.

Either way, seems like a very particular set of circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.