Popular Tags: [View All]
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going back over my own personal notes trying to keep up with all the rules for this amazing game (am teaching a friend tonight), I note that I have written down the following (a note to myself):

A unit that lacks Range can still fire farther if it has a Weapon, even if the Weapon isn't used -- in activating the unit, you still activated its Weapon and can use its Range

I am having a hard time corroborating this with anything a can find in the rulebook.

Is this an accurate ruling? --David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Incorrect.

The only things that modify a unit's range:

Veteran Status (+1)
Suppression (-1)
The command rating of any leader stacked in the same hex as the unit

A unit possessing a weapon may fire just the weapon even if the weapon's range is greater than the unit's range. For example, a Russian Militia unit (5-2-3) possessing a LMG (3-6) may fire the LMG's 3FP at ranges 3,4,5, or 6. The Russian Militia unit may fire its 5FP only at Range 1 or 2 unless modified as above.

Edit: Typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you are incorrect. You can activate the unit and fire the weapon only (using the weapon's range), but the activated unit may not fire unless the target is also within the units range.

NOTE - The range may be modified by leader(s) stacked with the unit.

Good luck teaching this great game!
Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Each form of attack has its range. That range might vary according to circumstances, but it is still the range of that specific form of attack. You can no more lend the range of one form of attack to another form of attack than you can lend one unit's movement to another unit (NB. command enhances unit attributes, which isn't the same thing). In my experience these basic principles are observed across all simulation wargames. The same cannot necessarily be said of SF/Fantasy games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.