Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Small World» Forums » Rules

Subject: Skeletons : Does mountain count as a non-empty region for the bonus? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
No. A region with a mountain is considered "empty" for skeletons. A mountain never counts as a unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are clear:
Appendix II, p.8 wrote:
A Region is deemed non-empty if, and only if, it contains at least one Lost Tribe or Race token (Active or In Decline). A Region that contains a Mountain marker but no Lost Tribe or enemy Race token is considered empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
"non-empty" would have been better as "occupied"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Probably, but then all these rules-lawyers would be saying "The declined race token doesn't represent an active race, so is that space technically occupied?" There's no winning this one for DoW, I think. They'll have to publish a 300 page manual with every possible rules misinterpretation...as Dan noted above, some of this stuff is in the rules verbatim and people seem to still want to loophole it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Probably, but then all these rules-lawyers would be saying "The declined race token doesn't represent an active race, so is that space technically occupied?" There's no winning this one for DoW, I think. They'll have to publish a 300 page manual with every possible rules misinterpretation...as Dan noted above, some of this stuff is in the rules verbatim and people seem to still want to loophole it.

Well, there is no pleasing everyone but at least it defines the space in the positive instead of the negative.

But active or in decline, there are still troops there. When the Roman Empire went into decline, the people didn't just vanish and unoccupy their villas. Occupy at least distinguishes "people, not objects" better than "non-empty."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Well, there is no pleasing everyone but at least it defines the space in the positive instead of the negative.

But active or in decline, there are still troops there. When the Roman Empire went into decline, the people didn't just vanish and unoccupy their villas. Occupy at least distinguishes "people, not objects" better than "non-empty."

Even better if they'd just left the ridiculous mountain tokens out of the game! We haven't taken mine out of the box yet for any of our plays. Since they're the only token in the game that can be in a region but still have it considered "empty," I really don't see the purpose of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So you can quickly say you need 2 race tokens + 1 for each cardboard to conquer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
So you can quickly say you need 2 race tokens + 1 for each cardboard to conquer.

I understand the thinking behind it, I just think it was a poor choice. Vinci had similar rules, and it was never hard to remember--and as far as that goes, if they were really worried players would forget the defense bonus, they could have just printed a "plus 1" on the spaces somewhere or something.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, it's just always struck me as odd that they bothered going to the trouble of making tokens that don't fit the spaces very well and seem unnecessary to a lot of folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the skeletons eat mountains and make them into skeletons? gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peasant wrote:
So the skeletons eat mountains and make them into skeletons? gulp

Those bones need minerals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love this game, it's just always struck me as odd that they bothered going to the trouble of making tokens that don't fit the spaces very well and seem unnecessary to a lot of folks.

I've thought about putting them in character stands and placing them on the board standing up. It would give it a more 3D aspect, clear out some of the space, and make them look more like mountains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

I've thought about putting them in character stands and placing them on the board standing up. It would give it a more 3D aspect, clear out some of the space, and make them look more like mountains.

That's not a bad idea. You might want to cut them down a bit so they don't obscure parts of the board, but it makes more sense than the tokens do now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.