Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to use this thread to work out possible special abilities for new fighters and the existing fighters.

This discussion originally, and erroneously, took place in the Expansion names thread. So I'm moving it here so we can come up with some new ideas without totally derailing the other thread.

-Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This text was taken from the old discussion.
[q]-A fighter that cannot be healed (zombie?)
-A fighter that can only be killed once all three parts are destroyed (slime?)
-A weaker fighter who's attacks cannot be blocked at all.

-Fighters who can be killed by losing different dice (like losing legs is lethal, or losing head is not lethal, etc.)
-A fighter that can recover lost body parts.
-A fighter that has greater first aid skills or can heal others lost body parts.

-Changing the called shot rules for a fighter so that if the called shot fails, the attack is not an entire miss (this would have to be balanced)
-A fighter who can sacrifice himself or a body part to deal damage (exploding body/parts)
-A fighter with the ability to strike multiple fighters or multiple parts.

-A duo that is really strong together but once one is killed the other one becomes weak.
-A dwarf or something else that is small and is only 2 dice tall: More difficult to hit but has some other weakness to even things out. (Could be in the same expansion as the 4 dice tall giant so everything fits in the box)
-A fighter that boosts other players (their weapon becomes stronger or something like that) but is weak himself (this one is similar to the duo idea).

-A fighter that is even more random, his attacks are likely to miss but when he hits it does more damage than normal fighters
-A fighter that can heal after making a successful attack (vampire?)
-A fighter whose attacks gets stronger the lower his hit points are.

-A fighter that can swap weapons with another fighter.
-A fighter that can restrain an opponent (loses specific actions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob F. came up with another thing to think about. And that is fighters who get some kind of reward for killing enemy fighters. Some of his examples are:
-A fighter who can regrow body parts after making a killing blow.
-A fighter who can weaken another fighter after making a killing blow.

I like these ideas, so here's some I came up with:
-A fighter who can upgrade his weapon/gets stronger after making a killing blow.
-A fighter who can heal himself or a teammate after making a killing blow.
-A fighter who gets another attack after making a killing blow.
-A fighter who can revive a fallen teammate (at lowest HP) after making a killing blow. ( I like this one)

The following are kind of the opposite, but related:
-A strong fighter who loses HP when a teammate dies.
-A strong fighter whose weapon gets weaker when a teammate dies (cannot change weapons regularly).
-A weak fighter who gets stronger (either HP or weapon) when a teammate dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Freeman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for being all over your game but I really like it.

Quote:
-Fighters who can be killed by losing different dice (like losing legs is lethal, or losing head is not lethal, etc.)

If you redesigned the carnivorous plant or made a tree creature but the legs could be lethal due to them being roots?

Quote:
-A fighter that boosts other players (their weapon becomes stronger or something like that) but is weak himself (this one is similar to the duo idea).

This would work well in the dungeon crawler, as a buff/healer class

Quote:
-A fighter that can heal after making a successful attack (vampire?)

If attack strikes head (it sucks blood) and can first aid?

Quote:
-A fighter that can recover lost body parts.

Perfect for a skeleton

Quote:
-A fighter that can restrain an opponent (loses specific actions)

Perfect for a cowboy (lasso)

Quote:
-A fighter that can swap weapons with another fighter.

That is such an amazing idea I wish I had a theme to suggest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some ideas for the a few of the older fighters. Let me know what you think.

Wizard: His spells can be divided among multiple fighters. When attacking with a medium (yellow) spell book, he can choose to to attack two different opponents. When using a strong (red) spell book, he can attack three. Roll the strike die for each opponent, but he can only use the weak hit die. Example: Strong spell=single attack with strong hit die, or three attacks all with weak hit die.

Tentacle Monster: When equipped with the dark vortex attack (strong), once per game, the Tentacle Monster can teleport a fighter into another dimension by making a successful called shot on the legs. The fighter is removed from play.

Knight: When attacking non-humanoid fighters (Tentacle Monster, Carnivorous Plant, Slime Tower), the Knight attacks with the hit die one level above his actual weapon. But when attacking female fighters (Amazon, Werewolf), he uses the hit die one level lower than his actual weapon.

Soldier: When equipped with the rifle w/grenade launcher w/scope (strong), called shots are successful just by rolling a body hit on the strike die. Example: want to make a called shot on the head or legs? Roll a body on the strike die and the called shot successfully hits whatever you called.

Carnivorous Plant: The only way to kill the Carnivorous Plant is to destroy its legs. Additionally, first aid can recover lost body parts on the Carnivorous Plant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knight - Do you pick your fighters secretly in the beginning? It seems that if you did, this idea would work, but otherwise - Oh, you are picking Plant guy, well, I'll pick knight, oh, you want werewolf, okay, I'll take someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right about that. Do you think this would affect the game so much that it shouldn't be included? These were just some preliminary ideas, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
You're right about that. Do you think this would affect the game so much that it shouldn't be included? These were just some preliminary ideas, after all.

I think it would be best not to reference actual characters in the special abilities. Unless you wanted to do more of that. If players routinely played with 2 characters, you could make a whole host of "combinations". The amazon is friends with the werewolf, and they get a special bonus, the wizard is really good vs the knight, the tentacle monster and the plant are great buddies, etc. But I would not prefer this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, when I came up with that ability, I realized that I would have to make more similar abilities for some of the other fighters. I think if I can balance it enough, like encompassing multiple fighters, it could work. I'd like to think about it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards
An update:

Here's what the new Fighter Ability cards look like. I've (obviously) finished with the original fighters, next are the EX fighters. These are very easy for me to create, so they should be done soon. Once I finish, I'll upload them to the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look great! I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an ETA on the new expansion? I'm mostly asking since I intend to have my dice labels printed at Artscow and this coupon expires in August:

Quote:
Get 20pcs 5" x 7" or Wallet(4) prints for only $0.99, with free shipping service included.

Coupon code: 20PCS5X7FS
Expires on: 8/16/2009
http://www.artscow.com

Sadly, the coupon is "one per household", so you'll only be able to make one order at this price. But since the dice labels for one set of dice can easily be split onto 4 prints, and I'd reckon the cards would take another 2 prints or so each, you can easily have all three sets printed and still have 2 prints left over for other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Co-op PnP contest closing around the same time, I regret to say that the new expansion will have to come out after your coupon expires. It wouldn't be fair to my teammate to flake out on the contest in order to work on Chunky Fighters.

I will have the Fighter Ability cards out before then, like in the next couple of days. But the expansion will probably be late August. Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries - I'll have enough content to fill up the order, I was just asking so I know when to pull the trigger on it.

I'll wait for the ability cards to come out and then put in my order. In case anyone else still hasn't printed the dice labels and such, the coupon is of course valid for everyone, just limited to one use per household. I have no clue about the quality of their photo prints yet, but I figure that at $1, it's worth a shot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Update:

The Fighter Ability cards are finished! I just uploaded them to the files section and am awaiting approval.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Freeman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are awesome I am still trying to finish my dice set but then I'll be right on these
I think a way to fix the chivalry problem is just putting the cards face down and draw your fighters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true. In fact, today a friend an I played and we decided to randomly draw our fighters. It worked out just fine.

I no longer feel the chivalry power is a balance issue. Damage in the game is already random enough that the slight difference caused by this ability doesn't amount to game-breaking problems. But the real answer to that assumption lies in how others feel about it in their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam kouzmanoff
United States
champaign
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a few ideas for character abilities, and thought they may be welcome here.

Duelist: Can downgrade his weapon die (red to yellow, yellow to white) to fully block an attack (You still make the roll, but the damage is reduced to zero.)

Guardian: Can block attacks directed at other fighters.

Gunslinger: has two weapon dice with "loaded" (all the loaded sides would be white, i think) and "empty" sides. During his turn, he can make 1 attack for each "loaded" weapon die. These attacks can target different characters, or the same character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are some good abilities. I like the duelist ability. It could also work for other things. Like, if there were an ability that let you do +1 hit, but then you had to downgrade your weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.