Subject: How's that shuffle shaker? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that the game comes with a "shuffle shaker" for around twice the cost of the basic cards only package. Anyone get that yet? How well does the shuffle shaker work? I would consider getting it if it shuffles well, could always use it for other games, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
War Key LI
msg tools
mbmbmb
It is very easy to damage cards by shaking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Deuschle
United States
Addison
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
, Sure, if you were violent, but if it's done on a set like this, I think any damage would be minimal.

Has anyone tried it yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Port
United Kingdom
London
Barnet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really interested in the dimensions and how well this works. If it doesn't damage the cards, of if it can work with sleeved cards I would so get one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw this in the store and it scares the heck out of me.

Unless there's some 'smarts' inside, it looks like it would just do a really good job of mangling the edges of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The middle is divided into 5 sections, to "shuffle" the cards as they pass through. Didn't seem to work; big gobs of cards were still together. But maybe when they're not new and shiny/sticky? The opaque end has the art deco buildings of the cardbacks tastefully etched on one side. There's a slot on the other side to put your finger in to loosen the cards if gently shaking stuck cards doesn't work. And they do get stuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Boyle
United States
Belzoni
Mississippi
flag msg tools
With the trouble that has been happening when the Monopoly Deal Card Shuffler is used, I'd like to thank my sister Sharon for telling me not to get the Monopoly Deal Card Game with the shuffler and just get the standard Monopoly Deal Card Game when we went to Target in Jackson, MS.

We compared the price of both the card game and the card game with the shuffler. The card game by itself, which was regularly $5.99, was on sale for $3.98, I believe. The version with the card shuffler was $12.99. I would like to thank my sister Sharon for saving me both $9.00 and the trouble of having to deal with a card shuffler.

If I were you, I'd just get the basic card game and not the version with the shuffler if all it will do is damage the cards in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen S
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info

I wanted one of the shakers after seeing it online (after I bought my normal version without knowing about the shaker version)

It would be nice to keep them in a case instead of the flimsy cardboard box that will eventually tear/rip easily, but if the shaker is going to be more pain than its worth, then no thanks.

MisterJB wrote:

If I were you, I'd just get the basic card game and not the version with the shuffler if all it will do is damage the cards in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Target had the Shuffle Shaker sets in their clearance isle for about $6.48 while the regular set sells for $5.24. I also already bought my set without, but for those interested, the Shaker deal is probably worth the extra buck if only to house the cards in a nice rigid case.

Hasbro also sells some card game accessories including card holders, a card shoe, and a "shuffler" very similar, but smaller than the monopoly deal one that's means for just regular playing cards. I think they were something like $10 each, which made it not worth getting IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The separate shuffler is $6.99 and includes a deck of Hasbro cards and rules for three easy games. They also have a small card shoe for easy dealing.

Has anyone actually seen cards damaged by the shuffler? I keep seeing words like mangled and damaged, but I've seen absolutely no wear on cards that I use it with. It sounds like it's tearing them up, but when you take them out, they are magically in perfect shape. In my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gagnon
msg tools
Five Below has the shuffler version for $5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fin Hopkins
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely recommend against the shaker. Even if it doesn't damage the cards, it doesn't seem to be a very reliable shuffler. Since the game has set collection, you really want the cards to be mixed well between games.

I got the shuffle shaker version and I wish I had the normal tuck box instead. I doubt the shaker will get much use, and it's much more awkward for storing the game in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Manka
msg tools
At Amazon right now, the game with the Shuffle Shaker is selling for $6.27 (with free shipping if you're an Amazon Prime member, or free on an order over $25), which is a couple bucks cheaper than the normal game without the shaker.

This game is my favorite to play with friends, so I was in need of another deck. I bought it with the Shuffle Shaker, a decision I'll probably regret, but worst-case scenario, I'll have a case for my cards.

This purchase might be my sixth or seventh set of cards, as sad as that seems. I think I need to purchase some card sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the shaker. Do not buy it; it is a waste of money. It will only work on the Monopoly Deal cards or smaller. It will not work on Dominion cards, which are just a little too big for it, and it definitely won't work on sleeved cards. In my experience, the shuffle on Monopoly deal is loud and ineffective. It seems to shuffle in clumps, as others have already stated. It might accomplish the job after extended shaking, but at that point, it's just easier to riffle-shuffle. I have noticed no damage to my cards from trying it out.

The one benefit is that it is a hard carrying case for the monopoly deal game. Of course, it breaks open easily, and if it gets jostled around, it will shake-shuffle some cards around, so if you keep the reference cards in with the game, you may have to search them out of the deck.

It's a nice idea, but, in my experience, it does not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.