Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cori Weisbeck
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is an email I got and wanted to share:

This took place in Charlotte, North Carolina .

A lawyer purchased a box of 24 very rare and expensive cigars. Then, he insured them against, among other things, fire.

Within a month, having smoked his entire stockpile of these great cigars, the lawyer filed a claim against the insurance company.

In his claim, the lawyer stated the cigars were lost in a series of small fires.'

The insurance company refused to pay, citing the obvious reason, that the man had consumed the cigars in the normal fashion.

The lawyer sued and WON!

(Stay with me.)

Delivering the ruling, the judge agreed with the insurance company that the claim was frivolous. The judge stated nevertheless, that the lawyer held a policy from the company, in which it had warranted that the cigars were insurable and also guaranteed that it would insure them against fire, without defining what is considered to be unacceptable 'fire' and was obligated to pay the claim.

Rather than endure lengthy and costly appeal process, the insurance company accepted the ruling and paid $15,000 to the lawyer for his loss of the cigars that perished in the 'fires'.

NOW FOR THE BEST PART...

After the lawyer cashed the check, the insurance company had him arrested on 24 counts of ARSON!!!

With his own insurance claim and testimony from the previous case being used against him, the lawyer was convicted of intentionally burning his insured property and was sentenced to 24 months in jail and a $24,000 fine.

This true story won First Place in last year's Criminal Lawyers Award Contest.
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The story's hilarious, even if it isn't true.

I think I first saw this story on Usenet in the 90s.

edited to add: It actually goes back farther than that, to the 1960s (http://www.snopes.com/crime/clever/cigarson.asp), with the concept a decade older (http://www.snopes.com/college/admin/cakesale.asp).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
sodak_ninja_girl wrote:

This true false story never won First Place in last any year's Criminal Lawyers Award Contest.
ninja

Fixed that for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
The best part about labeling something as "true" is that you immediately separate those who want to believe from those with enough sense not to. Then you can legally kill whichever of those two groups you don't like. It's true!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

True story...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't brush your teeth until after you get your film developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
And Englebert Humperdink died as well. In a car crash or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounded real, so I figured I'd better check with the experts:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/clever/cigarson.asp

Yep, it's phony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
And Englebert Humperdink died as well. In a car crash or something.

Along with Abe Vigoda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
The story's hilarious, even if it isn't true.

I think I first saw this story on Usenet in the 90s.

edited to add: It actually goes back farther than that, to the 1960s (http://www.snopes.com/crime/clever/cigarson.asp), with the concept a decade older (http://www.snopes.com/college/admin/cakesale.asp).

I love to debunk urban legends, but I sometimes wonder if it's the right thing to do. An urban legend changes somewhat the perception we have of the real world. When it's debunked, it's another piece of dream (or, depending on the urban legend, nightmare) that get shattered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:

I love to debunk urban legends, but I sometimes wonder if it's the right thing to do. An urban legend changes somewhat the perception we have of the real world. When it's debunked, it's another piece of dream (or, depending on the urban legend, nightmare) that get shattered.

That's why I just start with low expectations. There's nothing to shatter and when I'm amazed I'm *genuinely* amazed. It's true!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's good to debunk urban legends which are presented as "true stories". It's also good to teach people to critically assess the stories they hear, to determine if they're true or not.

On the other hand, it's also important to realize that stories which are not factually true can contain basic truths, or insightful commentary. (In the case of this story: "If you try to twist the law for your own greed/unfair advantage, don't be surprised if someone does the same back to you!")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, it's Sodaklady's daughter! Woo! If you ever played Daytona 500 with your mom that was totally my game. In fact I breathed all over it. You probably have Gola molecules floating around your house and you don't even know it!

Be nice, you chuckleheads, or Mary will come in here and cuss you into next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the story is legally sound, though. Even though I knew it was fake as I read it (I actually stopped after the first paragraph and scanned down the responses to check for the inevitable "that's not true" responses). But, I wonder if all the legal parts of the story are accurate. The only part I doubt, is the judge going along with it. I think most judges would throw the case out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
The only part I doubt, is the judge going along with it. I think most judges would throw the case out.

I would like to believe that, but I've seen too many ridiculous awards in court cases, let alone absurd cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you can't be charged with arson if the sole purpose of the item requires burning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.