Subject: Dead Nobles and Regular Troops rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Diebel
United States
Phildelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
In a combat where a Noble lives, Regular troops (as I interpret the rules) are subject to death.

Example: A Noble with 200 points of regulars suffers 100 casualties he cannot defend. Therefore 100 troops are killed, but 100 still remain...leaving the Noble alive.

HOWEVER,

A Noble KILLED in a battle can SAVE his regulars from dying...as is explained on page 18.

I see the possibility -
Example - A Noble with 150 Regular Troops and 150 Mercenaries is dealt 400 Casualties. So...400 cas exceeds 300 troops ... NOBLE IS DEAD.
Because this is the case...some of the mercenaries might flee, and even if not...they will die. I say this because 400 casualties > 150 mercenaries. So...if I read the rules right, this player now has 1 Dead Noble, but will still have 50 Mercenaries and 150 regulars still in his personal pool for redistribution.

I say this presuming none fled.

I base this on...

1 - 400 Casualties > 300 Troops = NOBLE DIES (per Page14).
2 - Assume no fleeing Mercenaries (per Deserters on Page 14)
3 - 400 > 150 mercenaries...discard the 150 mercenaries (since the 150 does not put him over the 400 suffered.)

This leaves 2 casualty tokens unassigned. But they do NOT kill the regulars.

I realize this is because the rule book says so....
but WHY???

Did I miss something? Can regular troops NEVER BE KILLED???? It says nothing to that effect on Page 14...and so does the "indestructable Regular Troop Rule" only come into effect in the event of a Noble's death???

If so...where is the logic?

Or do Regular Troops always get reassigned back to your baron for redistribution to newly placed Nobles????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regular troops indeed can never be killed (outside some specific card effects).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Diebel
United States
Phildelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Okay...
I take your word for this. But can you tell me WHERE in the rulebook it says this.

I see in the very beginning of the rules it suggests that REGULAR TROOPS are less likely to be lost during game play.

I also see in the NOBLE DEATH portion of the rules that REGULAR TROOPS WILL NOT BE KILLED.

However, it says nothing of the sort in the normal battle resolution section that regulars aren't killed.

Is there a spot somewhere in the rules that specifically states that Regular Troops lost in battle are always returned to their Baron?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Diebel
United States
Phildelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
WAIT A SECOND!!!!

Major Epiphany!!!!

I think I see what I was getting wrong! When you place casualties on an Army...you DON'T REMOVE CARDS. Instead, you keep the tokens on the Noble's Army! In this fashion, you may have time to Muster Troops and remove the tokens. Otherwise, that Army suffers a -100 point (or -1 Force card) per casualty token in future battles.

Is this correct???

If so....we MAJORLY screwed the pooch on this rule when we played!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Correct.
Casualties remain on the noble until removed (by one of the actions or noble death).
The two main effects of casualties are weakening an army, and increasing the odds of noble death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Diebel
United States
Phildelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It has all come together for me now. Thanks!

Like always, sometimes it helps to think out loudly!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.