Subject: nOOb questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cristian Mihaescu
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, sorry for my poor English. I'm new to this game, I have played it only two times and I want to be sure I'm not play it wrong:

1. (the Inner Region) They are two ways to reach the Crown space - one via Crypt and one via Mines? If "yes" who side is easier to travel?

2. (Pool of Life) After taking on life, the remaining three counters are for any player landing on that space or only for the player who discovered the pool card? On landing the space, first I take one life counter or first I draw the number of cards for that space?

3. In my two sessions I saw that it's very, very hard to die in Talisman. For example, when my character encounter a dragon, I can only loose 1 life then my turn is over and my next turn I abandon the dragon card (face up) on that space avoiding that space in the future until my character is very strong. On the corner spaces or using other methods my character can easy regenerate the life so how can my character die? Or I understood wrong the rules and the character must fight the dragon until one will die (the character or the dragon)?

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
criss_mcs3 wrote:
1. (the Inner Region) They are two ways to reach the Crown space - one via Crypt and one via Mines? If "yes" who side is easier to travel?

One way is for Characters with high strength, the other for characters with high craft. Not much difference otherwise.

Quote:
2. (Pool of Life) After taking on life, the remaining three counters are for any player landing on that space or only for the player who discovered the pool card? On landing the space, first I take one life counter or first I draw the number of cards for that space?

Everybody landing on that space can claim the counters. If I am not mistaken, you don't draw a card at all, because there already is a card (unless it's a space that let's you draw multiple cards).

I am a bit unsure about your last question, so I'll leave it for the experts. But I think it's not that easy to regain life and that it is designed not to be too deadly, as this can be quite frustrating for the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
criss_mcs3 wrote:

Tanakor answered this, so I'll just add that the Gnome is very powerful card which makes the Craft path really easy. Dwarf character has in-built Gnome (or is that putting too harshly ). IMO, the Craft path is easier, but Fate has nerfed the Crypt and most importantly, Dice with Death. Sadly, if I'm honest.

Quote:
3. In my two sessions I saw that it's very, very hard to die in Talisman. For example, when my character encounter a dragon, I can only loose 1 life then my turn is over and my next turn I abandon the dragon card (face up) on that space avoiding that space in the future until my character is very strong. On the corner spaces or using other methods my character can easy regenerate the life so how can my character die? Or I understood wrong the rules and the character must fight the dragon until one will die (the character or the dragon)?

No, you got the rules right.

Back in the 2nd edition days, we played using a house rule that if you start a fight with a creature, you can't move again until one of you is dead (or you manage to Evade). Str 2 char drawing a Dragon on the first turn meant bye-bye, Demon was something to be truly feared, even at mid- to late-game stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Mihaescu
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Pranger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
criss_mcs3 wrote:

Thank you in advance.

I'll handle this one. In the base game of Talisman, it can be difficult to die, with the addition of expansions (mostly the with the Dungeon expansion) death is a more occurring thing.

The way you handled the Dragon was correct. You fought it once. Lost and lost 1 live. Then you move on your next turn.

I do wonder, when you say how easy it is for you to heal, if you are moving the full amount of the dice (i.e. you roll a 4 and you have to move 4 spaces). It has always been the case with me that whenever i try to land on a space, I never do. Maybe the Talisman Gods just love you more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M.
United States
Kings Mountain
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as it being hard to die, it hasn't been a very complex procedure for me in my two plays. In two games I've died 3 times, and thats not even counting the two deaths by crown of command spell for game end (so grand total of 5 deaths). I've found it extremely difficult to get healed once you get low. I spend a good part of the game bouncing around the healing spots (if I have any gold) with one life and hoping against hope I don't draw a big bad before I can get in.....or being flat broke with one life and having to risk it all in a continued search for gold so that I can then begin bouncing around the healing spaces.

Love the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donbaloo wrote:
As far as it being hard to die, it hasn't been a very complex procedure for me in my two plays. In two games I've died 3 times, and thats not even counting the two deaths by crown of command spell for game end (so grand total of 5 deaths). I've found it extremely difficult to get healed once you get low. I spend a good part of the game bouncing around the healing spots (if I have any gold) with one life and hoping against hope I don't draw a big bad before I can get in.....or being flat broke with one life and having to risk it all in a continued search for gold so that I can then begin bouncing around the healing spaces.

Love the game!

If you're Good and have even 1 Gold, sticking to the Chapel-City edge should see you getting Life soon enough. City is also the best spot for Neutral/Evil (former can also benefit from Chapel, though less effectively). I use the BI board, so Evil can still heal at Graveyard on a roll of 2-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M.
United States
Kings Mountain
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've been pulling a lot of Neutral and Evil characters which may be contributing to that feeling. I'm often finding gold scarce as well, and as a neutral character with empty pockets I've discovered that life can be harsh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donbaloo wrote:
Yeah, I've been pulling a lot of Neutral and Evil characters which may be contributing to that feeling. I'm often finding gold scarce as well, and as a neutral character with empty pockets I've discovered that life can be harsh!

Could hit the Village Mystic and hope to roll a 4. In the olden days we used to collect the alignment change cards to see how many changes we got. I think the best was 5x "You're Good" ! Guess he was really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M.
United States
Kings Mountain
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, in our second game which was aborted for external reasons (so I guess I've played 2.5 times) we had a ghoul with a serious identity crisis. He had 3 or 4 alignment shifts.

I think I've learned a valuable lesson though in that its probably not the best strategy to wait until your down to 1 life before taking action to get some healing. Although it has been a good strategy for familiarizing myself with lots of characters! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.