Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys...I've taken a close look at this game and I'm quite interested in the period (and zone) depicted and in the gameplay too.
Can anyone elaborate on it a little bit in order to give me some insight on difficulty, fiddliness, fun, interesting decisions...and so on? Maybe with some comparison with other game so I can make up my mind and decide to buy it or not...

Moreover...any interesting book on the subject?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also have a look at Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945 which, unfortunately, is OOP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really tried to like EotS myself, for the reasons you mention. But I just couldn't do it. The rules are a mess and have no index, making it very hard to play given the fairly high complexity level. It's also full of all sorts of weird, gamey tactics - the US is given all these long-range bombers, and it seems the best use for them is one-way bombing trips to Japanese naval bases, where they will be automatically killed but will prevent the entire fleet based there from reacting. Air perimeters are hard to set up, as naval units can cruise right past major airbases without being attacked, as long as they don't end in range. The card deck is strange and way to thick, I have to think a staged approach (like Paths of Glory) would have worked better, as it is it's really hard to draw a lot of the cool events in a timeframe in which they are useful, just because there are so many cards. I think the War in Europe track doesn't work very well, as it tends to have a huge impact on the game (the US can lose here if the Japanese get good cards, with absolutely nothing they can do about it). And I find the victory conditions really wonky, two of them (strat-bombing and capturing the Manchurian objectives) come down almost completely to luck, while an invasion of mainland Japan is almost impossible.

Anyway. This game has its fans, and I do find many of the mechanics of the game very clever, as a whole it was just way to weird for me.

Fire in the Sky was another game I really wanted to like, but couldn't. It's just so long.

I ended up selling both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Davide,

I really like Empire of the Sun (EotS), but it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

The main negative, as Chris Farrell states, is that the rulebook is a complete mess: it's badly organised and poorly laid out with important information often buried in large blocks of text (it would definitely have benefitted from more bullet points). It's also badly formatted and far, far too wordy. This wouldn't be so bad if EotS didn't have a lot of concepts / mechanics that are new to CDGs. As a consequence learning the game is made more difficult than it should be. I also wasn't that keen on the combat resolution table: it just felt a little boring.

However, if you can get past the rulebook problems, there is a lot to like about EotS. It is tense, exciting and a lot of fun.

- The cards are great, although I do agree that it might have been better to have had a phased introduction of cards, so that events are more likely to be played at around the time they occured historically.

- When I first played EotS the use of a hex map in a CDG was new to me, but it really works well. Zones of Influence, although difficult to get my head round at first, add a whole new dimension to the game and make keeping units in supply even more tricky.

- I also love the naval units in this game. There are so few CDGs where naval units are present, and even when they are they're not as much fun, or as useful, as in EotS.

- The use of HQs to activate any units within range is also something I really like. Basically you add the Efficiency Rating of an HQ to the Operations value of the played card and that's the number of units you can activate. Certain events allow you to conduct larger offensives: these events have a Logistics value (generally higher than the 1,2 or 3 points you get for playing a card for its OPs value) that you add to the Efficiency Rating of the HQ or HQ's used to activate units.

- There are always lots of decisions to be made in this game and I never feel like I have enough points to do what I want. As a result planning is particularly critical.

I hope you get enough information from this thread to make a decision.

Cheers,

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone, you all cleared my mind about what this game is about.
I will probably buy it in some months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.