BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Tension games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarryd van Zanten
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb

My girlfriend and I are looking for a new some new cheap thrills.
We do not have any specific game-type or genre preferences, but just like exciting games. Games where everything could hinge on one or two moves. The "ooooooooooooaaaaah... ooohhhhhh" feeling.
Could anybody please recommend a game with good tense moments, faily easy going (although we're not anti-complexity) and up to around £30/$50?

What are your favourite tension inducing games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought of a co-op game ?

These can be incredibly tense. Especially if you're losing!

Pandemic and Lord of the Rings immediately spring to mind.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thron
United States
Caldwell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic might fit the bill nicely for you both. It is a cooperative game that scales well in terms of difficulty level. The mechanism of reshuffling the discard pile and placing it on top of the draw pile after drawing an Epidemic card often provides very tense and dramatic moments on subsequent draws. Playing with 6 Epidemic cards can ratchet the tension levels amazingly. The complexity level should suit you both as well, considering your post.

I'm sure others will chime in with many more suggestions. Have fun and good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unnamed Object - stay or go, it can all hinge on the next card.

Can't Stop - another push your luck game.

Vanished Planet is another coop (in addition to Pandemic) that might interest you.

Ticket to Ride has the "Will I complete my route? Will I get that card? Will they block me?" tension.

Kingsburg - can often hinge on the last die roll, if you win the winter round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories the most tense game I own (and I have about 500 of 'em).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 3 nailbiters that I can think of:

Hive
Louis XIV
Mr. Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iisjreg wrote:

My girlfriend and I are looking for a new some new cheap thrills.
We do not have any specific game-type or genre preferences, but just like exciting games. Games where everything could hinge on one or two moves. The "ooooooooooooaaaaah... ooohhhhhh" feeling.
Could anybody please recommend a game with good tense moments, faily easy going (although we're not anti-complexity) and up to around £30/$50?

What are your favourite tension inducing games?

The most tension-inducing game for me is easily Twilight Struggle. You really feel the tension and paranoia of the Cold War in this game.

If you really don't have a genre preference, my second choice in tension-inducing games would be Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42. Often one or two really good (or bad!) moves will determine the game's outcome.

I really like eurogames as well, but I rarely find as much tension in them. The closest I can think of would be Space Alert. There is extra added tension because there is a timer, and you you find out after you've decided ALL your moves whether they actually worked or not... there is a great deal of tension in both sections of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My most tense gaming experiences with my girlfriend thus far have been playing "Caylus." It is not so much that it hinges on one or two moves, but there is a particularly brutal and prominent mechanic in the game that allows a player to completely screw the other[s] over. We rarely ever take this action because it seems like a spiteful thing to do, but the fact that it is there makes the game very tense.

Be warned though, it seems that many people hate the game for this same reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Lauwbierkoffie
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
www.spellenclubapeldoorn.nl
badge
Kom spellen spelen bij de Spellenclub Apeldoorn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tense games are the best

my favourite game is TZAAR and gives you 20 minutes of non stop oeehs and aaahs. The ultimimate game of tightening the noose. Very, very tense game.

read my review for more info about the oeeh and aah factor http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/375767

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle is certainly King of the Tense Games. But given that Ticket to Ride has been mentioned, as well as Unnamed Object, (two games that I don't find tense at all), I've gotta add a couple of games that I find brutally tense, that everyone else will heap abuse and ridicule upon me for mentioning:

Coloretto
Zooloretto
No Thanks!
Turn the Tide

Tense games are what I live for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tension in Taj Mahal is delicious.

PLB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Laing
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack gets my heartrate up as soon as it's on the table.

Only played with my girlfriend so we're evenly matched, which helps keep the tension alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to add another vote for Pandemic; very tense especially when you flip the cards hoping not to pull an Epidemic and when you play the Infector!! :shudders:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anni Foasberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Ra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierre Le Bear wrote:
The tension in Taj Mahal is delicious.

PLB

While I wouldn't use the same adjective, I concur with the endorsement.

Taj Mahal has more tension than most any game I know, But be advised that it's for 3-5 players; I can't imagine it working with 2 if that's all you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Cos Cob
CT
flag msg tools
I'll third Twilight Struggle. No other game even comes close. My heart rate is up just thinking about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked your collection and Space Alert should work. Check the reviews and comments. Its "real time" excitement isn't for everyone...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daisy Manning
Canada
Mount Pearl
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I think of tension, sitting on the edge of my seat, not knowing what my opponents might do, or how I'll get myself out of this mess... Two games come to mind. That said these games are not for two players.

A Game of Thrones (first edition) - A favourite around here, and definitely has tension. The amount of tension you feel definitely depends on the house you end up playing, but no matter which you play you'll feel tension in the area.

Supernova - Ah, the first few games of this we actually played, me and my friends could not finish because we were so stressed, and tense with the game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gilkey
United States
Eureka
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game I have been playing as of late is Battle Line I find that it has many more of these moments than you would think for such a simple game.

I am also quite fond of Knightmare Chess where the ups and downs can be swift and brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zygote wrote:
A game I have been playing as of late is Battle Line I find that it has many more of these moments than you would think for such a simple game.

I am also quite fond of Knightmare Chess where the ups and downs can be swift and brutal.

I second Battle Line. It has a great deal of tension in it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Zygote wrote:

I second Battle Line. It has a great deal of tension in it!

I third Battle Line. How could I have forgotten that oneshake? I find it about as tense as Twilight Struggle, in only a fraction of the time and with a fraction of the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Scotland Yard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I H
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
How about Scotland Yard?

I was just about to suggest Fury of Dracula (second edition). For a shorter game in somewhat the same vein, 2 de Mayo is a solid choice.

All three games involve one player making secret moves/playing secret orders and the other[s] attempting to deduce and respond to those tactics. There's definitely a lot of tension and second-guessing involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ged waldock
msg tools
You should absolutely take a look at War for Edaðh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.