United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been delayed on my weekly drive up to Bobby Tweaks' Mitwoch Spielenacht by a later than usual happy hour and a detour to try to rescue a box turtle that looked like it was trying to cross the highway (when I returned, dear reader, there was no sign of the turtle, injured or dispatched, so I presume another concerned citizen had rescued the weary traveler). When I arrived, two games were already in full swing and Wargaming Jason and I were looking for a game. Enter Manoeuvre.

Manoeuvre and I have a love/hate relationship. I love the game but I hate how I never seem to spell it correctly. Jason quickly took charge of going through the rules, we set up the game board according to the 2008 WBC first round tournament setup, and chose our armies.

We had been talking about Wellington, so I chose Spain to simulate the peninsular conflict. Jason chose France, but then switched to Austria. Neither of us had played these armies before, so we were in for an exciting conflict of surprises. I used the random-placement-in-the-back-two-rows" standard deployment, which resembled setting up for a game of checkers, and Jason put most of his forces forward, ready for the coming conflict.

Having played Wellington, I had a feeling that Spain was not going to be a power house. The numbers on the troops seemed to match my expectations when I compared them to Austria, but I was ready to give it a go. I started moving the troops I had cards for forward, mostly focusing on the right side. Jason moved up on the left. We exchanged one or two bombardments, but mostly it was head to head competition when our troops finally engaged.

Dice rolling did not provide stunning results, so for the most part each player retreated as they took a 1x hit. I scored first blood, but Jason quickly matched that through skillful use of his leaders. I had not seen leaders and was wondering what all the guerrilla cards were for, when my leaders eventually started to show up.

Coordinated attacks from two groups is really the way to go in Manoeuvre. We were pretty well matched (except that I was going through more cards than Jason) but in the end Spain was able to pull it out by attacking depleted pieces and using guerrillas to cancel supporting cards when they came up. The end total as Spain 5, Austria 3.

Deck wise, though, Spain would have only had one more turn in the end as I only had three cards left in the deck. Jason, on the other hand, seemed to have about a third of his deck to go. I think I just had more opportunity to get rid of my cards. Jason took out three of my units pretty quickly, and I discarded their cards regularly.

We both had a fun time with it and will likely get the game off the shelf again soon.

Looking forward to trying this game on Monday at the WBC tournament in Lancaster, PA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raolsson wrote:
we set up the game board according to the 2008 WBC first round tournament setup

You've aroused my curiosity - how does that work?

raolsson wrote:
Having played Wellington, I had a feeling that Spain was not going to be a power house.

As you discovered, neither is Austria.

raolsson wrote:
Deck wise, though, Spain would have only had one more turn in the end as I only had three cards left in the deck.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here. You do know that the first player who runs out of cards shuffles the discards and continues playing with a new Action Deck, right? The game then goes on until the end of the turn when the second player runs out of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Olsson
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you can find the tournament boards here:

http://home.mchsi.com/~alewis161/Manoeuvre.htm

And I have to admit that I forgot about going through the deck twice. I was happy I did not need to, however. ;-)

One of the things I enjoy about gaming night is the wide variety of games I get to play, but I do find that while I enjoy many, I am probably messing up the rules in a lot of places. Very enjoyable hobby. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.