John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back story: Sunday evening, just had an early evening, rather filling meal of wings. We sat down to play risk around 7pm hoping we could finish kind of early due to work and appointments the next day.

SETUP: 4 Player - Risk2210 Rules
PLAYERS: Josh (Black Army); Rachel (Red Army); Jackie (Green Army); Myself (Blue Army)

DEVASTATED TERRITORIES:
1) Pevek (land bridge between North America & Asia Severed)
2) Egypt (not a big factor)
3) Warsaw Republic (not a big factor - but made Europe that much easier to control)
4) Nunavut (not a big factor)

After placement of initial mods, commanders, and stations, Red was positioned with base in Australia (opposed by Blue). Black had originally started placing in Europe, but turned their sights onto South America. Green went the Africa/Asia route while Blue started their base in North America/Europe.

YEAR ONE: Red easily takes Australia in the their first turn, purchasing an aqua commander and starting a second stronghold in Asia. Black easily takes South America, in a surprise move, purchases a space commander and goes to the moon. Green takes Africa and starts migrating troops north toward Europe. Blue takes North America.

YEAR TWO: Green goes into Space and strengthens presence in Europe. Black purchases Aqua commander to take the North Atlantic water territories and US Pacific... also the Asia Pacific water territories (at the disdain of Red). Cue the argument between Red and Black since they are dating and Red had placed "on the other side of the world" from Black on purpose. Green and Blue explain it is just RISK and everyone is in everyone's way. Cue: awkward silence. The exchange causes Black to rethink strategy and enter North America. Taking away Blues bonus. Blue can only retake the North American territory that Black had invaded.

YEAR THREE: With all the water territories, lunar, and land bonuses.... everyone has a good energy economy except Blue (the narrator of course). Red stronghold's Asia somehow while Green takes Europe and starts focusing on Asia (Red and Green start arguing). Black re-enters North America and spreads out space forces. Blue (denied the only bonus available to him AGAIN) retakes North America, purchases a nuclear commander and goes all out suicidal strategy hoping to get the Armageddon card to play later on.

YEAR FOUR: Green, not afraid of the argument with Red invades Asia through a weak defense. The turn is then followed by lengthy argument, ultimately boiling down to "it's just a game" explanations and then Red threatening to not finish the game. Blue finally gets a break, and gets a bonus - purchasing a space commander and going to the moon to break up the mix up there. Red goes into space as well and gets the large lunar territory bonus and kills Blue's space commander. Black attempts to forge into Africa via South Atlantic water territories, but rolling horribly decided to abandon the effort.

YEAR FIVE: Green goes first and further extends her campaign into Asia since Red looks to be the front-runner. Bulks up her forces in Africa against an eminent attack from Black. Black is up next and mops up in Asia attacking both Green and Red and taking the Aussie stronghold. Red goes berserk and refuses to finish the game citing that she will be on the couch. Blue persuades her that she is up next and can have her revenge on Black and Green. Black also initiates the massive attack on Africa from the Amazon land bridge. Does not make it into Africa with heavy casualties/damaged mods. The rest of Blue's small presence in space is obliterated. Red makes an attempt to take back Asia.... strange tactic, but maybe it was the agrumentative juices flowing in the brain or something. Not getting the Armageddon card, Blue goes all out and spend the rest of his money activating nuke cards in attempt to level the field and basically to piss everyone off since they can't do anything about it on the last turn.

When the dust settled, bonuses counted, and repeated "we are never playing this game again" statements... Red wins with a score of 24, Black and Blue are tied at 21, and Green with 18. Green took most of the nuclear beating from Blue, even though the attacks were directed in an attempt to dethrone Red. Once again the diplomat "cease fire" card was pretty crucial in play.

Great game, even though I think Red won in part of her protests of people attacking her. I mean, whats a game of RISK 2210 without attacking people? Might as well just set up the board, place, your armies, and then call the game. No fun IMO. Personally, I will not get "stuck" in North America again - I did like playing the wild card position and going all nuclear.... everyone got scared when I was up in the batter's box.

Total game time (with arguments = 4.5hrs) without arguments I think the game would have been a normal 3.5hrs - Towards the end, my patience was hanging by a thread; Especially knowing I did not have a good chance to win. Red and Black were going to the beach on vacation the next day.... something tells me they would have a lot to discuss in the car on their way there. I just think its funny how Red didn't want to be attacked (non-confrontational if you will) and then ended up confronting all the other players on how they played. Crazy competitiveness going on there....

Personally, I think I'll be okay with not playing 2210 for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rose
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one friend I wont mention names okay maybe I will his name is sterling who our friendship almost ended because of this game. His method of playing was to put almost all of his armies on one spot and overwhelm whoever he was attacking with pure numbers. However I was the person who he planned on attacking first and so I built up a army about half his size despite the fact that I would be at a great disadvantage and since my turn was first I attacked him instead and wiped out his entire army which essentially just about eliminated him from the game before he had his first turn.

I'm the type of player who wants the game to be fun if possible for everyone playing but if one player is going to pull a bone headed move like that I can't help but make him pay. I love this game, but I can totally relate to people whining about being attacked as this has decided several games that I've played with me being in the losing category. Safely said this game hardly gets played because people can't handle competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fliptrackr wrote:
... Red goes berserk and refuses to finish the game citing that she will be on the couch...

Yikes. Sounds like "Red" shouldn't be involved in any games with conflict -- ever. I've heard 2210 is a friendship-testing game, but from the description above it seemed that Red went nuts any time anybody dared to attack her. Sheesh. That's just being a poor sport, no matter what the game.

Separately, I enjoyed reading the session report. It certainly gives me a feel for how the game can play out, and some strategies to use. I'll be sure to play with people who don't take things personally though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this a somewhat depressing read. I won't take sides, since the other participants can't offer their views. I'm sorry it wasn't more fun for all of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Winterhalter
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fliptrackr wrote:
Red goes berserk and refuses to finish the game citing that she will be on the couch. Blue persuades her that she is up next and can have her revenge on Black and Green.

Yeah, we've had this problem on occasion too. My g/f has a hard time with regular Risk and the backstabbing that is a logical part of the end game... and she hates rolling out the endgame if she's the only other player left. So we've developed a strategy where we tend to leave her for last if possible, squelching her expansions if possible, but generally leaving her core intact until the endgame.

She actually likes 2010, because there's no benefit to eliminating a player, and there are a set number of turns... It works well for us. Good luck with your future games, and good session report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
didn't mean to make it depressing. i do see your point though... i tried to represent everyone fairly (with exception to Red - don't know if she saw it that way or not). probably not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Baldin
Brazil
flag msg tools
Before starting, we always agree that the must be violent... it's a war, it's up to you to decide if want to kick somebody's a**... of course it will be revenged, that's the point to make the decision of invade somebody just to take some bonus or just for fun... you dont have to be strong to win, but be the stronger... sometimes you need to turn your enemies weakers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, yeah. People can get their feelings hurt. Me and three friends were playing the PS1 Risk game and I was mostly sitting back letting them beat on each other while I exterminated the AI players. My one friend kept reminding me that he wasn't gonna be my ally indefinately. I make a judgement call and attack him on the turn before he would have been able to start attacking me. I crushed his capitol in one turn..... He was devastated. I've never seen anyone get that emotional in a wargame before. Especially someone who feels the need to remind everyone about the backstabbing aspect....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Baldin
Brazil
flag msg tools
you know... for me, its not "just a game"... hehehe I have to win... specially against my wife, otherwise I have to listen her talking about her victory during a week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's two kinds of playing a game. Playing to win and playing to accomplish some sort of goal.there really isn't much else. In Risk Playing to win typically equates to being bloodthirsty and ruthless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Shapiro
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Based on the experience you have described,it might be wise to avoid playing Diplomacy. (I have played in at least two games of Diplomacy where a couple of the players 'got physical'.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeesh... Yeah. As one guy put it "Diplomacy, destroying friendships since"(whatever year)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Molina
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies usually avoid direct conflict. Make Red play Settlers of Catan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Milhojas wrote:
Ladies usually avoid direct conflict. Make Red play Settlers of Catan!

We actually play Settlers every once in a while. Red does a little better with it (except with the Robber placement).

Just got a new game and played it for the 2nd time last night: Small World - definitely lots of conflict, but less upsetting because the fate of your troops is not based on die rolls. I got crushed though - I played it too safe. Red was definitely in the running and had a shot at winning if Josh did not have Spirit Amazons, Ghouls, and Pillaging Skeletons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If yu ever get the chance. Try a gm-less co-op game like Warhammer Quest or GunCrawl. Dont play Supremacy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
... Dont play Supremacy!

Why would you fire a nuke at me?!? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clloyd09 wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
... Dont play Supremacy!
Why would you fire a nuke at me?!? devil
*falls over laughing* that was good. a great illustration of why Diplomacy is a classic, yet not played that much. It takes people with VERY thick skin to play it multiple times with the same group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qrux wrote:
I have played in at least two games of Diplomacy where a couple of the players 'got physical'.)

In most of our games of Diplomacy, we never got really "physical." But that is because we would have a drink after every season so by the time it came around to really "Stab" someone, many couldn't remember their original deals or didn't care.

I, as the youngest, and always starting with Austria-Hungary, always got attacked first, never had any alliances, and once got physical. Does throwing a chair across the room count as physical?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.