Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really interested in this game and seriously thinking about getting it but at a price of £47.50 I just can't afford it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be looking at a discounted price. The actual RRP is £49.99. Thi s is particularly galling when you look at the US retail price from the manufacturer: $65 = £39

Despite it looking an excellent game, we refused to stock it because of the price.

After reading the replies here, we took a second look and decided to take in some stock after all. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Ok,

I learned the hard way price is purely subjective. The first game store I worked at my manager turned down a new card game "Magic:the Gathering" because previous card games had been terrible and he was convinced the unit price for a deck of cards was too expensive for your average kid to afford.

I would say that your position is the correct one however, if The Hell of Stalingrad is too expensive for you, then you are doing the right thing to turn it down. There are many great board games in the market and my advice for anyone in these troubled economic times is to do work in the ways you are most comfortable with.

I did not have any input in the price, that was set by the Publisher and the Printer. My job as a game designer is to produce the best and highest quality game that I can so that anyone who does buy it gains the most possible value.

- Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll still keep the game on my wish list and see if I can save up for it It's just a shame the times are what they are and I can't justify splashing out that amount of cash on a game that I'm sure would be great. Maybe Santa will be kind this year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stalingrad Steve wrote:

I learned the hard way price is purely subjective. The first game store I worked at my manager turned down a new card game "Magic:the Gathering" because previous card games had been terrible and he was convinced the unit price for a deck of cards was too expensive for your average kid to afford.

Not really a fair comparison, but I understand what you are saying.

Stalingrad Steve wrote:
I did not have any input in the price, that was set by the Publisher and the Printer.

Our gripe is more with the enormous inflation that happens when games cross the Atlantic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes the price jump works to disadvantage on both sides of the pond, but lately this hasn't seemed so prevalent as it was a while back.

I wonder whether the European price boost has anything to do with Value Added Tax, or some such thing, that we don't have (yet) in the States? We have sales tax in some states of the U.S., but this varies state-by-state.

Is the VAT still in place in the UK, and is it reflected in listed retail price, or tacked on at the time of purchase as sales tax is here in Pennsylvania?

That might account for the difference between UK retail and the exchange-for-dollar calculation. Just a thought.

In any case, if you have an interest in the Stalingrad fight for the city, you won't go wrong with this game. I got to play the prototype at last year's "Fall In" and it was a very challenging, absorbing and dramatic play experience. Generals took sniper fire, units got chewed up, engineers and armor assets were funneled in at critical moments, reserves were committed (and sometimes withheld for fear of a more critical moment coming), artillery blasted, Commissars "motivated" the troops, different unit types interacted in historical ways, and whole formations got chewed up while blocks of buildings burst into flame and infantry dug into the rubble.

What a struggle--yet both of us playing, brand-newcomers that we were, concentrated on managing the battle, not fighting the rules. It's a very well-conceived, well-developed and original design, and the graphics are outstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbilbey wrote:

Our gripe is more with the enormous inflation that happens when games cross the Atlantic.

I am not sure it is fair to single out this game. Pretty well all games from across the pond come with inflation - El Presidente, A Castle for all Seasons,Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker....to name but a few of thousands (sorry i seem to have picked only Rio Grande games for some reason). Despite the price I would consider stocking it - your customers might want it and turn elsewhere if they can't get it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
I don't take it that the guys are complaining about this game specifically, they are just upset at the price of imports in general. My next trip to Europe will be to Essen and while I wish I could stop by England and run a few dozen demos to show the value crammed into every box of The Hell of Stalingrad I doubt that would be possible.

I would ask retailers to follow their conscience about which games to stock. People can choose for themselves if this is a game they want to have on their shelves. If anyone would like to order The Hell of Stalingrad it can be purchased from the publisher or one of our oversea distributors.

- Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven is right I'm not complaining about the game at all, which after reading the rules looks very good indeed. I especially like the specific solo rules which increase my interest in any game.

It looks like we here in England will have to wait for game prices to fall or start saving more money for those 'must have' purchases

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Babwe
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kenrick822 wrote:
great game what's next ??

Midway!

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@282.bn1gfXadkYZ.14@.1dd3...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robson
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
sbilbey wrote:
You must be looking at a discounted price. The actual RRP is £49.99. Thi s is particularly galling when you look at the US retail price from the manufacturer: $65 = £39

Despite it looking an excellent game, we refused to stock it because of the price.

It's the VAT that's the killer. Unfortunately £39 + 15% VAT = £44.85. GamesLore had it for £42.99 but it's gone now ...

EDIT: It's back in ... and I've added a copy to an order my friend is placing ... unfortunately my wife tells me I need to wait until my birthday in 3 weeks time before I can get my hands on it soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www.boardgameguru.co.uk/the-hell-of-stalingrad-3300-p.asp

£42.99 and still in stock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the replies here, we took a second look and decided to take in some stock after all. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm.

Edit: and wouldn't you know it? we got a dented copy, so we're offering it for £39.99
http://www.greenknightgames.co.uk/acatalog/The_Hell_of_Stali...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.