Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
" . . . nor should they play games of chance or dice, or watch others play, because . . . according to the teachings of the church fathers, those who play such games are attending sacrifices made to demons."

-- Robert Grosseteste (bishop of Lincoln, c. 1239)

Auctions and card-draftings, on the other hand, are attended by choirs of angels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
And in the opposing ring...

"There may be other universes
based on all sorts of principles,
but ours is based on war and games."
- William S. Burroughs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does he go on to say that hidden but trackable information is anathema?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Athiests win again! We can play everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:

Designers of such games are doomed to play Memory in the 8th circle of hell for all eternity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

If you are one you should spell it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattwran wrote:
" . . . nor should they play games of chance or dice"

That eliminates about 95% of Euro's as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this mean that agnostics can play whatever they want but they can never be sure about the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomekin wrote:
Does this mean that agnostics can play whatever they want but they can never be sure about the rules?

Nah, we're just not allowed to make predictions about the outcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agustin Kapuno
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Blessed be my Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."
- Psalms 144:1(King James version)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

If you are one you should spell it correctly.

Petty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Robert Grosseteste featured in Doctor Mirabilis the fictional biography of Roger Bacon which I read recently and really enjoyed. In this he is chancellor of Oxford University before being made Bishop of Lincoln but apparently this is by no means a verified fact.

One thing the book made me realise is how much religious thought permeated the scientific, philosophical and education of the times. The basis for thought was accepted dogma and a primary avenue of attack was to try to figure out how your theory could be consistent with dogma.

However, the church supported centres of education and thought (proscribed by doctrine though they were). Sons of wealthy families and nobles could go in to the church and be pure academics for their whole lives. Without the church supporting pure thought (or pure research if you will) in the Middle Ages who knows where we might be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
mattwran wrote:
Designers of such games are doomed to play Memory in the 8th circle of hell for all eternity.

What's this "hell" place? Is shipping games to Canada cheaper from there than the US?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
mattwran wrote:

What's this "hell" place? Is shipping games to Canada cheaper from there than the US?

I live near Hell. I’m pretty sure there are no game shops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattwran wrote:
Auctions and card-draftings, on the other hand, are attended by choirs of angels.

That's nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:

Not to mention wearing clothing of two different cloths. Looks like all you Poly-Cotton blenders out there might as well start up a round of poker with your friendly local soothsayer while you're at it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
mattwran wrote:
" . . . nor should they play games of chance or dice, or watch others play, because . . . according to the teachings of the church fathers, those who play such games are attending sacrifices made to demons."

Because that's the whole point to monotheism, right? To put a bunch of middle men between you and your God?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomekin wrote:

Probably something like that. I'm definitely a "prove it" sort of guy. Unless the question is addressed by the game designer, though, as to the rule's intent, I'll never be truly sure.

Yeah, I'm that guy waving around the 5" binder of FAQs.

Of course, a GOOD agnostic would just assume I had Photoshopped an official looking FAQ, or that the designer's cleaning lady logged on to the designer's name and made an arbitrary decision on the official website. Or, even better, that the designer was kidnapped directly after production of the game by fish aliens and was replaced by an evil fish alien twin, since that is possibly more likely than one ruling or the next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can pry my AmeriTrash games from my cold dead hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
Gnomekin wrote:

Of course, a GOOD agnostic would just assume I had Photoshopped an official looking FAQ, or that the designer's cleaning lady logged on to the designer's name and made an arbitrary decision on the official website. Or, even better, that the designer was kidnapped directly after production of the game by fish aliens and was replaced by an evil fish alien twin, since that is possibly more likely than one ruling or the next.

You're mixing up agnosticism and paranoid delusions, don't worry, I know a few people who tend to make this mistake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
eypyeash wrote:
Gnomekin wrote:

You're mixing up agnosticism and paranoid delusions, don't worry, I know a few people who tend to make this mistake

It's one of those tricky red lines that tend to get blurry as you get older ... I probably shouldn't be tiptoing on that line at the ripe age of 26, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lloyd
United Kingdom
Penmaenmawr
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be an agnostic, but I'm just not sure any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
Harv wrote:
Robert Grosseteste was a big pair of bollocks.

We'd better move this thread to RSP before the christians get wind of it.

Grosse - Teste

Big - Bollocks.

Am I the only one who gets this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave King
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing gets ones gaming blood roiling like a good sacrifice to demons. Yo, Alexander, how about doing something great and toss on another thorax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
mattwran wrote:

That's no problem: I instructed my children to buy plenty of indulgences for my soul after I'm dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.