Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: interesting [+] [View All]
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comments/marti...

V sad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh*

Just when you thought it had all died down.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Good grief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shake

How sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Damn.

Breach of contract is serious business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WolfLord Hawkeye

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that they waited until Steam came out.Did they reject all his other games made since that contract?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn.

The wording of the contract seems pretty clear cut, he was prohibited from selling Age of Steam in anything but its then-current form. Looks like a huge oversight.

The sad part of all this is that the only people who really win will be lawyers. Martin will lose money and, more importantly from our perspective, development time. FRED will likely engender bad will from Wallace/Warfrog supporters (regardless of right or wrong). We lose out on all the games which could have been created if people weren't investing their energy bickering.

*sigh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfLord_Hawkeye wrote:
Interesting that they waited until Steam came out.Did they reject all his other games made since that contract?

Tensions between FRED and Wallace were pretty strained over the whole AoD 3rd edition. It could be that this has been triggered by recent actions such as Martin's threats to sue over copyright on the AoS logo or his requests to sever contracts for the Railroads of the World series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
IANAL, but they probably had to wait until Steam came out to sue. So they could have proof of the breach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
The wording of the contract seems pretty clear cut, he was prohibited from selling Age of Steam in anything but its then-current form. Looks like a huge oversight.

My question (as a game designer) is why would you sign something that ties your hand this much if you had little or no intention of following through? Maybe Steam was supposed to be more derivative and less Age of Steam like - enough to honor Fred's contract and still get Mayfair's business. Even if 3rd Edition AoS is different enough, the contract states pretty clearly that they acquired rights to further development of the game.

Quote:
FRED, the Activision of boardgames.

In some respects, you could make that argument. In this particular instance, I think FRED has a legitimate gripe.

Take from it what you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:

In some respects, you could make that argument. In this particular instance, I think FRED has a legitimate gripe.

Take from it what you will.

I take what I will, which is everything.

As far as I read it, FRED paid $10,000 for the rights for Age of Steam and all its derivatives.
They also paid $5,000 for a new game.

Martin Wallace has not (or so FRED says, we will have to hear the other party) provided a new game.

Martin Wallace has issued a game which can be considered a derivative of Age of Steam. (and this is open to discussion, but in my book and just reading the material here in BGG, it is pretty clear that both games are very, very, very closely related)

Therefore, FRED paid $15,000 for...nothing, well, for less than nothing as now people can play the maps for AoS with Steam thus losing sales, and people are still claiming that FRED is the wrongdoer?

I am probably missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Banin
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
but doesnt the new Steam have differences enough from old AoS to be seen as a different game?
Since rules cant be copyrighted, and the game isnt EXACTLY the same
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Maybe Steam was supposed to be more derivative and less Age of Steam like

Maybe, but it was originally being billed as Age of Steam, third edition with the name change (reportedly) coming as a result of the trademark fiasco not this contract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IANAL

Anyone else get the sneaking suspicion that the Age of Steam-Eagle Games Variant mentioned in the contract is actually Railways of the World?

In this case, while I still think he's in breach of the contract, the wording of the claim could be a little off. After all Steam is clearly an iteration on Age of Steam and not Railways of the World.

Other than that, the only argument I can see them making is that they were prohibited from selling Age of Steam in anything but its then-current form. However, they were not explicitly prohibited from iterating on it. They were explicitly prohibited from iterating on Age of Steam-Eagle Games Variant. So, if they can argue that Steam != Age of Steam and that it was an iteration of Age of Steam and not AoS:EGV (which I still suspect is RRT) then they might be okay.

Obviously this is a total fallacy for anyone who has been following the story since, were it not for the trademark dispute, Steam would be called Age of Steam, but when have lawyers ever let a little thing like truth get in the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
but doesnt the new Steam have differences enough from old AoS to be seen as a different game?

It is a different game, but it looks as though it is going to get caught up in the derivatives clause in the contract. I don't think anybody with any knowledge of the games could reasonably argue that Steam is not a derivative of Age of Steam.

Quote:
Since rules cant be copyrighted

Rules are copyrighted all the time. Just ask John Bohrer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Better get your copy of Steam while it's still legal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly this is quite rediculous but hopefully it gets resolved soon and the gaming industry is not overly affected in a negative way. It seems like the ones that are doing all the muscling are not true gamers that want first and foremost to provide people with great games to play. Not sure how this will affect my game purchases, I avoided buying the Age of Steam by Fred and picked up Steam from Wallace/Rio Grande, rather have it from the original designer and support him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Rules are copyrighted all the time. Just ask John Bohrer.

From what I understand, the rules are the only thing that really can be copyrighted. Board art as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:

One thing you're missing is that Eagle Games, not FRED, allegedly paid $15000. I know nothing about the legitimacy of the claim, all I do know is that none of this can be doing the industry any good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FuManchu wrote:
Better get your copy of Steam while it's still legal!

I wouldn't worry about it. FRED's not going to win anything that gets rid of Steam. However, this takes the wind out of the sails for any Wallace argument and legal threat--this is a hell of a potential hammer. I expect it will lead to rather clean and quiet settlement all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
abendoso wrote:

One thing you're missing is that Eagle Games, not FRED, allegedly paid $15000. I know nothing about the legitimacy of the claim, all I do know is that none of this can be doing the industry any good.

Yes, but FRED purchased Eagle Game's rights, trademarks, etc in the bankruptcy proceedings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, rules can be copyrighted only as far as how they're written. If I re-write the rules (different sentences, different order), then it's not illegal. Yeah, the protection here's pretty shoddy, but hey, what can you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Anyone else get the sneaking suspicion that the Age of Steam-Eagle Games Variant mentioned in the contract is actually Railways of the World?

I think you may be right, especially since (AFAIK) Eagle was never reported to be producing Age of Steam in that time period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help but feel crappy about this, and to be honest, it makes me want to pretty much avoid FRED distribution...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
Quote:

I think you may be right, especially since (AFAIK) Eagle was never reported to be producing Age of Steam in that time period.

Eagle released and distributed Age of Steam in the US. It was the same game as the Warfrog printing, but it was an Eagle release. It happened a bit before Railroad Tycoon was released, as I recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.