Popular Tags: rules [+] [View All]
Robert Jones
United Kingdom
Woodbridge
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that if you choose not to take a piece of pie, you can convert some of your collected slices by flipping them. Specifically "He chooses one variety of slices he has collected, flips the slices over, ...".

My question is whether you have to flip *all* the slices of one variety, or whether you can choose to flip *some* of them. I was asked the question when reading the rules last night, and couldn't see a clear ruling either way. An (unlikely) example would be where you were choosing last, had a relatively useless set of slices on offer. If you had previously collected 6 slices of chocolate, and could flip 4 of them and still retain majority, that might be the best move.

Unsurprisingly, the situation didn't arise., but I just wondered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gilutin
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All. If you could flip all but one and have that one still give you majority, it would be wayyyyyy too strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, although I doubt someone would maintain a majority in Chocolote with just two slices. Unless, of course, other players who were collecting chocolate "threw in the towel" in the last round before your turn, so that there was no longer any competition for the flavor.

But yes, it was meant as "All".

And it really is only an option for someone who has been collecting a lot of one flavor (especially chocolate) but has no more chances at getting that majority, and she or he can do much better by eating the chocolate than taking something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Jones
United Kingdom
Woodbridge
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the quick replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a corollary question to this...If I have collected, for example, 3 slices of kiwi face-up in front of me and am comfortable that I have enough to maintain my majority...am I free to eat the rest of the kiwi slices as they come my way? I assume yes, but had a tiny bit of doubt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and that's part of the fun, trying to guess how many slices you'll need in order to maintain your majority.

This is why the "eat all your slices" strategy doesn't work, because it would be too easy for the other players to gain majority points while also eating most of their slices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THANKS! I just got a copy yesterday and we played it three times and everyone seemd to like it quite a lot...I have a feeling this will be a popular filler...and a great game for non-gamers alike....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it! Thanks for your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr kgoo
msg tools
Ah, I asked the same question in another thread, and discovered the answer here. SO you have to flip all of one variety during a forfeit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr kgoo
msg tools
Ok, now I'm confused.

In this thread, Jeff, you say it's meant to be "all", as in you HAVE to eat all slices of one variant during a forfeit, and you choose to eat.

But...

jeffinberlin wrote:
Yes, it is correct that you can eat any number of slices of one type you have already collected, if you forfeit taking a piece of the current cake.

This option is rarely used, and then only in the final round of the game, if a player is suddenly out of contention for a majority, especially of he/she has collected quite a few pieces of that cake (chocolate, for example).

When I teach the game, I don't even mention the rule until the next-to-last round, when the players have a better feel for the game.

according to the above, it would seem you can choose to only eat SOME of a variety during a forfeit.

So which is it? When you forfeit a turn to eat some pieces, do you have to eat ALL or can you only eat SOME of a single variety? And why are there two opposite responses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrkgoo wrote:
Ok, now I'm confused.

In this thread, Jeff, you say it's meant to be "all", as in you HAVE to eat all slices of one variant during a forfeit, and you choose to eat.

But...

jeffinberlin wrote:
Yes, it is correct that you can eat any number of slices of one type you have already collected, if you forfeit taking a piece of the current cake.

This option is rarely used, and then only in the final round of the game, if a player is suddenly out of contention for a majority, especially of he/she has collected quite a few pieces of that cake (chocolate, for example).

When I teach the game, I don't even mention the rule until the next-to-last round, when the players have a better feel for the game.

according to the above, it would seem you can choose to only eat SOME of a variety during a forfeit.

So which is it? When you forfeit a turn to eat some pieces, do you have to eat ALL or can you only eat SOME of a single variety? And why are there two opposite responses?

Probably because it has never made sense in a game to forfeit a turn and eat only a few slices of one variety. In order for that to make sense, you would have had to have collected A LOT more slices than you need for the majority (why would you do that?) and then waste a turn eating just a couple of those while still holding onto enough to keep a majority.

So, in theory, you COULD eat only a few of one variety that you've collected instead of taking new slices, but it is difficult to imagine a scenario where that would be necessary.

Again, this rule is only rarely used, and I usually leave it out of an initial rules explanation, only bringing it up during the next-to-last round so that players are aware of that option (and already comfortable with the other rules).

Thanks for pointing out he inconsistency. I hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.