Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want to know about series 3, STOP READING NOW!! This will likely be spoiler heavy. You have been warned (even in the title).

First up - skills. Obviously she needs Piloting, and given Pilots are very good multi-taskers, its fair to say she'd probably have all but Politics. And given we don't want her to be a copy of any other pilot, here's what I'm thinking as just an idea.

Engineering - 1
Piloting - 2
Leadership/ Tactics - 2

Now, for the rest of you who know the whole story, any thoughts on what Kat is going to be able to do now that we know she's going to be a character in the expansion (due to her piloting token being put up in the latest preview)? Given we now have the rules of Extermination, are we thinking her weakness might be something like "If a viper that Kat is piloting is damaged or destroyed, Execute Kat" to suggest her 'extendability'.

As for per-turn, maybe "Wingman - While you are piloting a Viper, in addition to your action, you may active one unmanned Viper". Alternatively, maybe she has something to do with the new "Reckless" skills? Of course we'd need more info on them to make a good call on that.

As for her per-game technique, maybe something to do with her being sent to sick-bay to prevent a scout blowing up?

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Her disadvantage has to have something to do with being a stim junkie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote would be in the Red deck we have Stim Packs now with Reckless on them, And the Stim packs probably allow pilots to perform one more action (limit 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
johnweldy wrote:

Something like whenever she leaves her viper she must move to sickbay.

Her once per game probably affects skill checks and makes the check reckless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I think reckless cards involve skill checks, perhaps she can use some ability in the skill check but makes it Reckless.

I would maybe give her

Tactics - 2
Engineering - 1
Piloting - 1
Piloting / Leadership - 1

Though I guess that is 4 bars, which is more than characters usually get!

Here is a random guess at some skills:

Reckless - During a skill check on your turn you may place 2 cards into the skill check from the top of the Piloting or Tactics skill decks. This skill check is now considered Reckless.

Overexert - Action: Once per game, while piloting a Viper, you may draw 4 piloting cards and take 4 actions. At the end of the turn move yourself to sickbay (if you are still in sickbay by the start of your next turn you are executed)

Stim Junkie - When a player plays Executive Order on you, discard a random card from your hand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
I think Kat will probably have 3 piloting cards, as I don't remind her doing a lot of tactics or leadership... But then, I don't remember at all in the series, she just looked like the usual red shirt, being the main theme of the episode and immediately dying.

I'm not especially happy to see her but I guess they want to keep other characters like Gaeta for another extension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaeta may still show up in this pack. In fact, if he is going to show up he'll probably be in the next FFG preview, which will focus on New Caprica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to be a lot of Kat hate on these forums! She was in quite a few episodes, and one of the more interesting "red shirt" pilots.

The final episode with her seems more like they just picked a random person who had been in the show and inserted them into the plot of the episode.

Didn't really know enough about any other pilots, especially with regards to coming up with a negative.

Gaeta could be a support character or a politics character (based on new caprica) so remains to be seen what we will get. As I said elsewhere though, might be better to wait for Gaeta to get his "evil" side from later seasons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Beckman
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler below.

The actress was leaving the show, so that's why they hurriedly killed her off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
johnweldy wrote:

That was only one episode, as I recall. I think a better disadvantage would be her obsession with being the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
johnweldy wrote:

That was only one episode, as I recall. I think a better disadvantage would be her obsession with being the best.

Which is related to her being a stim junkie. She takes the stim because she needs it to be the best pilot. I'm glad to see her in this expansion.

Also, I'm a big Gaeta fan. Total tragic character. I'd put him as "support" too, given the variety of roles he plays and the small number of support characters currently in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LNAGary wrote:
I think Kat will probably have 3 piloting cards, as I don't remind her doing a lot of tactics or leadership...

She was CAG for a time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scootergsp wrote:
LNAGary wrote:
I think Kat will probably have 3 piloting cards, as I don't remind her doing a lot of tactics or leadership...

She was CAG for a time...

It's just wrong for her to be a "better pilot" than Starbuck or Apollo (which is what drawing 3 Piloting cards would mean. Now, maybe her negative ability countered it some way, not so bad - off the top of my "Massive Firepower only gives you 2 shots instead of 4".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Yes, but it was a character in the background most of the time and she really didn't make an impression on me, except for being a Starbuck wannabe, and I already had a hard time standing Starbuck, so...

I just hope they won't forget other more important characters because "we need to have a pilot, a political leader and a military leader" at every expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they released all the important characters in the first expansion, who would buy all the other expansions!

In many ways Kat was just as good a pilot as Starbuck, I don't think she could get 3 piloting cards though, but I do think she will get some leadership, probably with the option of getting leadership or something else, since she was the CAG for a short while.

Would be boring if she had the same cards as Starbuck, otherwise I would put her at 2 tactics, 2 piloting and 1 leadership/engineering. Maybe 2 tactics, 2 piloting and 1 leadership/tactics.

I do think they have to keep the balance of types of characters, otherwise it will just be the case that no one can actually pick any of the new characters because the group would then only have green and purple cards or something

Kat was the most memorable pilot for me anyway, don't remember what any of the other pilots did in the show at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is everybody forgetting Sam Anders as a possible pilot?

Other possible pilots (I admit, less frequently seen than Kat):
Seelix (Hardball)
Narcho
Crashdown
Hot Dog
Bulldog
Racetrack
Skulls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He is not going to be in this expansion because he is better suited to a later one about a certain group of people. Oh and he was trained to be a pilot much later in the show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
If they released all the important characters in the first expansion, who would buy all the other expansions!

Quote:
(Anders) is not going to be in this expansion because he is better suited to a later one about a certain group of people. Oh and he was trained to be a pilot much later in the show.

I agree with both sentiments, but Anders also figures strongly into the New Caprica storyline. To me at least, having the New Caprica board in the expansion without him would be like having the Pegasus board without Cain.

Getting back to Kat, she's hardly one of my favorite characters in the series, but in retrospect, she's not any less sympathetic than Starbuck, and was probably also easy to come up with abilities for, if the speculation here is any indication.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, New Caprica is part of this expansion, but I don't think he was any more part of New Caprica than anyone else.

Kat did train and lead the pilots on the rescue mission to New Caprica, and they kicked butt doing that

For Anders to be in this set aswell I think he would need to not be a pilot. Of course it IS possible they have modified the selection rules to allow varying numbers of each color to choose from. e.g.

"When choosing a character, colors must be chosen in sets of 3, if the first player selects a Pilot (red) then the next player must select a Leader (green) or a politician (yellow), if a Leader is picked then the next player must pick a politician. Once a set of 3 is selected, any color can be chosen again, repeating the rules above. Support (blue) characters can be chosen at any time."

I am sure it could be explained better than I did aswell. Then we could have as many pilots as we wanted, and doesn't matter with regards to character selection.

Well we find out about New Caprica in the next preview, so I expect to see a character related to that be revealed aswell. (btw a bit of random snooping revealed there to be 4 articles on the FFG website about pegasus, we have seen 2 of them so far, so I expect at least 2 more before it is released )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
"When choosing a character, colors must be chosen in sets of 3, if the first player selects a Pilot (red) then the next player must select a Leader (green) or a politician (yellow), if a Leader is picked then the next player must pick a politician. Once a set of 3 is selected, any color can be chosen again, repeating the rules above. Support (blue) characters can be chosen at any time."

Huh? I don't see how that's different from the existing rules. Am I being dense?

Kamakaze wrote:
Well we find out about New Caprica in the next preview, so I expect to see a character related to that be revealed aswell. (btw a bit of random snooping revealed there to be 4 articles on the FFG website about pegasus, we have seen 2 of them so far, so I expect at least 2 more before it is released )

WHAT?? wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The existing character selection rules state:

Quote:
Starting with the first
player and proceeding clockwise, each player chooses a
character of the character type(s) that is most plentiful
(political leader, military leader, or pilot). This restriction
does not apply to support characters, who may be
chosen at any time.

Which means that if there were 10 Military leaders, everyone would be forced to pick all Military Leaders, as even if 6 people picked them there would be 4 left over, which is still more than the 3 of every other color.

Also some directories on the ffg website return access denied (the image directories for articles 1-4, 1-2 we have seen) and the directories for articles 5+ return file not found instead. Which means there are 2 more articles already on the server but with restricted access I liked it back in the early days of the internet when companies didn't even bother to restrict access to people fishing for urls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
The existing character selection rules state:

Quote:
Starting with the first
player and proceeding clockwise, each player chooses a
character of the character type(s) that is most plentiful
(political leader, military leader, or pilot). This restriction
does not apply to support characters, who may be
chosen at any time.

Which means that if there were 10 Military leaders, everyone would be forced to pick all Military Leaders, as even if 6 people picked them there would be 4 left over, which is still more than the 3 of every other color.

Also some directories on the ffg website return access denied (the image directories for articles 1-4, 1-2 we have seen) and the directories for articles 5+ return file not found instead. Which means there are 2 more articles already on the server but with restricted access I liked it back in the early days of the internet when companies didn't even bother to restrict access to people fishing for urls

OIC! I wasn't accounting for the possibility of there being unequal numbers of each character type (which is what you were in fact discussing, so d'uh)! blush

So... who has good hacking skills around here? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am afraid that is all I can tell, pretty sure they don't put the files there until the article is ready, but they seem to have just made the directories for it. Still, I thought I would check =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In many ways Kat was just as good a pilot as Starbuck,

Show wise, just give me a few of the many ways you come to that conclusion? Sure Kat is the one who gets the final shot on Scar, but only after being assisted by Starbuck.

As far as I'm concerned, her negative should have something to do with her big fat mouth, that stayed wide open throughtout her run on the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you here that Anders should not be a pilot - his time in a Viper cockpit being really next to nothing.

Even then - if you did choose him, his special feature would have to be "Bullet proof" as he is incapable of being shot down by a Cylon..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.