Small World» Forums » Rules

Subject: Searfaring and Deploying a new race questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st : When entering the board first, you have it has to be by a border. In the top left of the map, there is a couple of terrtories tha doesnt touch the border of the board and is surrounded by water (one has a lighthouse). Can we enter the board by that location since we have done this before, but now I don't think we can.

2nd : There is actually 2 seas and 1 lake per board for seafarers. So it takes 2 units to conquer a lake or a sea and you count that as 3 territories (3 vp) at the end of the turn? Seems powerful since actually no one can kill them on lake/seas when they are alive and even when they are in decline? Am I missing something. So they would decline having 1 guy on a sea and another on the lake which would produce 6 vp per turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
1st : When entering the board first, you have it has to be by a border. In the top left of the map, there is a couple of terrtories tha doesnt touch the border of the board and is surrounded by water (one has a lighthouse). Can we enter the board by that location since we have done this before, but now I don't think we can.

We have always played that you can. I'm pretty sure - as long as you are at the edge of the land, you are fine.

Quote:
2nd : There is actually 2 seas and 1 lake per board for seafarers. So it takes 2 units to conquer a lake or a sea and you count that as 3 territories (3 vp) at the end of the turn? Seems powerful since actually no one can kill them on lake/seas when they are alive and even when they are in decline? Am I missing something. So they would decline having 1 guy on a sea and another on the lake which would produce 6 vp per turn?

Yes, it costs them 2 tokens to conquer a lake or sea, which is then worth 1 point at the end of the turn.

To get 3 points, they would need to conquer all three, which means a pretty impressive progress across the board.

In decline, they would still get their 3 points per turn IF they occupied both seas and the lake. Not 6 points, though.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I think the consensus is that yes, you can enter the board by the sea region if you are seafaring, although it is not explicitly mentioned in the rules.

2) Yes, Seafaring is powerful IF you can conquer all three water regions. Don't forget you can't re-enter the board, so you have to plough your way right across it diagonally. And your opposition - if they have any sense - will be out to stop you doing that: you can't conquer all three in one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Original poster is counting 3VP per turn for each sea/lake region controlled. Do not know why he is doing that. Just like any other region, it is 1VP per turn per region controlled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) I think the consensus is that yes, you can enter the board by the sea region if you are seafaring, although it is not explicitly mentioned in the rules.

This has been answered in the FAQ:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/391216

specifically:

Q: Can a Seafaring race do a first conquest on a border sea region?
A: Yes.

The entire FAQ is filled with great clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Bobthesnake wrote:

As already pointed out, it is only 1 VP per sea/lake region so you would collect 3 VPs even while in decline.

But the reason you wouldn't want to do that forever is that 3 free points a turn is pretty measely when your active race can get 10+ points. And when that starts to dwindle, you'll most likely want to decline. If you decline, your already declined seafarers will be removed from the board.

So on paper the ability looks awesome but the practicality of it is that it will provide diminishing returns. Not so much in its production of VPs but as to the potential VPs you are missing in going after a new active race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
Quote:

This has been answered in the FAQ:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/391216

specifically:

Q: Can a Seafaring race do a first conquest on a border sea region?
A: Yes.

The entire FAQ is filled with great clarifications.

I have read the FAQ. I was not asking for seafaring, just for all the races. I thought that when you entered the board with a race that was not on the board yet, you had to enter from a border, but a border that touched the border of the board game. Which is why I asked could I start for my first conquest on the land at the top left that had the light house on it.

Someone answered me they always did. And the way we played with always did, I just wanted to make sure.

edit : And the way you answered me, it seems that the only race that can start by conquering the lighhouse land that is surrounded by water is the searfarers. So it seems we were playing the wrong way. Is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
As already pointed out, it is only 1 VP per sea/lake region so you would collect 3 VPs even while in decline.

But the reason you wouldn't want to do that forever is that 3 free points a turn is pretty measely when your active race can get 10+ points. And when that starts to dwindle, you'll most likely want to decline. If you decline, your already declined seafarers will be removed from the board.

So on paper the ability looks awesome but the practicality of it is that it will provide diminishing returns. Not so much in its production of VPs but as to the potential VPs you are missing in going after a new active race.

You are right. I already thought about it and it would not be for the best interested to try to cross the whole map just to have 3 measily guaranteed points in decline. Maybe a special circumstance will make it worthwhile --- Edited the rest because you can't have pillage and seafaring together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have read the FAQ. I was not asking for seafaring, just for all the races. I thought that when you entered the board with a race that was not on the board yet, you had to enter from a border, but a border that touched the border of the board game. Which is why I asked could I start for my first conquest on the land at the top left that had the light house on it.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. As long as the border region touches the sea, you can enter. It doesn't have to touch the edge of the board. This is covered under the "First Conquest" section:

First Conquest
A player's race deploying on the map for the first time must
enter it by conquering one of its border Regions (i.e. a Region
adjacent to the edge of the board or one whose shore is on a Sea
adjacent to the edge of the board, even if the Sea is occupied by
a Seafaring Race).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer. It's not my game but I should have spent the time and read the original rules first just for my personnal info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thanks for the answer. It's not my game but I should have spent the time and read the original rules first just for my personnal info.

Glad to help. The rules are actually pretty good, but you have to cross check a few things here and there to put it all in context. My group is getting lots of plays out of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.