Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussion in Age of Steam Forums.
Discussion in General forums including Martin's claim that FRED have altered the contract since it was signed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad, sad, sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Mendez
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
oh well....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
So does this force my hand to buy a copy now? If they win, will Steam be pulled from production?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's Martin Wallace's comment on the issue referenced from one of the threads listed above, I echo others' response to this: Wow.

Martin's comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:
So does this force my hand to buy a copy now? If they win, will Steam be pulled from production?

Not in the least. Mayfair Games did nothing wrong when their CEO, Will Niebling, signed an Age of Steam contract with Martin Wallace in January 2007. They simply believed what Martin told them.

After Mayfair discovered the truth, Will Niebling's 10 years at Mayfair Games ended in June 2007 and he now works at another company.

When I filed my Trademark Opposition in August 2007, multiple Warfrog people publicly wrote, on BGG and other venues, that they had evidence that Martin Wallace designed Age of Steam, owned Age of Steam, etc. Mayfair dutifully hired an excellent Chicago-based Patent & Trademark law firm to contest my Opposition and waited for this evidence from Warfrog.

The promised Warfrog evidence never materialized. In contrast, in June 2008, Ms. Kuczma, Martin's zealous, very experienced Trademark Attorney, had 67 evidentiary exhibits from Winsome supporting my Opposition. Their case evaporated. Judgement was entered against Martin Wallace by the Trademark Trial & Appeal Board in July 2008.

The only thing Mayfair Games did wrong was believing Martin Wallace without checking the facts. They did not oppose my subsequent 2008 Trademark Application for Age of Steam (now a Registered Trademark, Reg. No. 3,622,075), so they have learned from their experience with Martin Wallace.

Mayfair Games is a great company and its President, Larry Roznai is a good, honest man. When Larry told me in a conversation that they wanted to call the new game Steam, I told him that was OK by me. Mayfair was just a trusting victim and we all wish them well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
John Bohrer wrote:
Major SNAFU wrote:

Not in the least. Mayfair Games did nothing wrong when their CEO, Will Niebling, signed an Age of Steam contract with Martin Wallace in January 2007. They simply believed what Martin told them.

After Mayfair discovered the truth, Will Niebling's 10 years at Mayfair Games ended in June 2007 and he now works at another company.

When I filed my Trademark Opposition in August 2007, multiple Warfrog people publicly wrote, on BGG and other venues, that they had evidence that Martin Wallace designed Age of Steam, owned Age of Steam, etc. Mayfair dutifully hired an excellent Chicago-based Patent & Trademark law firm to contest my Opposition and waited for this evidence from Warfrog.

The promised Warfrog evidence never materialized. In contrast, in June 2008, Ms. Kuczma, Martin's zealous, very experienced Trademark Attorney, had 67 evidentiary exhibits from Winsome supporting my Opposition. Their case evaporated. Judgement was entered against Martin Wallace by the Trademark Trial & Appeal Board in July 2008.

The only thing Mayfair Games did wrong was believing Martin Wallace without checking the facts. They did not oppose my subsequent 2008 Trademark Application for Age of Steam (now a Registered Trademark, Reg. No. 3,622,075), so they have learned from their experience with Martin Wallace.

Mayfair Games is a great company and its President, Larry Roznai is a good, honest man. When Larry told me in a conversation that they wanted to call the new game Steam, I told him that was OK by me. Mayfair was just a trusting victim and we all wish them well.

Thank you for that most excellent reply.

Steam is still a "maybe" for me as I read more and more reviews about it. I own RRT, but not AOS because my family (whom I game mostly with) would not enjoy it. But I cannot make up my mind if the new stuff in Steam offsets sufficiently some of things it doesn't have from RRT (like the train chits, etc.)

Anyway, thanks for the response. It is refreshing to read a respnse lile that which seem fair and even-handed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lamb
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:
Major SNAFU wrote:

Why do you still care about this? Yes we all know that you won the trademak case, can we all move on now? As far as I can tell this lawsuit has nothing to do with the Wallace vs. Bohrer feud so why are you still bringing this up again and again? Hell I don't understand why you are reading the Steam forums.

Move on for God's sake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:

The quick answer is no. FRED is suing Martin Wallace for money damages. If they wanted Mayfair to stop selling Steam, they would have to be suing Mayfair for an injunction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:
Steam is still a "maybe" for me as I read more and more reviews about it. I own RRT, but not AOS because my family (whom I game mostly with) would not enjoy it.

Go buy Chicago Express and do yourself a favour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archibald Zimonyi
Sweden
Gothenburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
iamspoo wrote:
John Bohrer wrote:
Major SNAFU wrote:

Why do you still care about this? Yes we all know that you won the trademak case, can we all move on now? As far as I can tell this lawsuit has nothing to do with the Wallace vs. Bohrer feud so why are you still bringing this up again and again? Hell I don't understand why you are reading the Steam forums.

Move on for God's sake.

But the Wallace vs. Bohrer feud also has been in Wallace's favour on this site (at least the posts I have read) regarding support and "facts", and all notes I read made me also come to that conclusion. So how could Wallace then fail to win that (whatever it was that was won)?

Wallace states something regarding this lawsuit. He stated other things regarding the feud. Bohrer still won. Maybe Bohrer just means that FRED will win regardless.

I might have missed some posts too that might have given more info one way or the other but that's my take.

Archie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q=...they had evidence that Martin Wallace designed Age of Steam/q]

Is it true that Martin Wallace didn't design 'Age of Steam'? That's amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Borher wrote:

Are you saying that Martin Wallace willfully lied to Mayfair, and that Will Niebling was fired as a result? Also, are you claiming that you are the legal designer of Age of Steam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:
John Bohrer wrote:
Major SNAFU wrote:

Thank you for that most excellent reply.

You are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cheng Meister
Australia
Maylands
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hemp wrote:
Major SNAFU wrote:
Steam is still a "maybe" for me as I read more and more reviews about it. I own RRT, but not AOS because my family (whom I game mostly with) would not enjoy it.

Go buy Chicago Express and do yourself a favour

Get both. Both games are excellent, I own both of them.
They have different emphasis, Chicago moreso about investing in the right companies whereas in Steam you run your own business intricately. Love both of them (PS, no shares in Steam)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.