13 Posts

Warhammer Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Are there any other similar games that don't need a DM? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Driscoll
msg tools
mb
Are there any other similar games that don't need a DM? I really liked Hero Quest back in the day and am trying to find something like it but without a DM. I bought Descent and for the game to be challenging and fun the DM actually has to want to win but we always end up being happy if the players win which kinda ruins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some one has made a conversion for Descent, in which there is no need for the OL. Just check the Descent files section. Apparently, it's pretty highly rated.

Here's a link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/419643
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out also the SORCERY! book-game, and RuinsWorld CCG. Both are unfortunately very hard to come by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduard Navratil
Czech Republic
Vizovice
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is one, even for free: Dungeon Plungin'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another adventure game that doesn't need a DM is Magic Realm, I'm waiting for my copy right now :)

I think Tomb is a dungeon crawl that doesn't need a DM, but I never played it...
I also remember reading about a classical DC that worked without a DM in its vanilla version, I think it was Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel, but I'm unfortunately not entirely sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Driscoll
msg tools
mb
I'm definately gonna try out the no DM Descent rules, thanks a million for that link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Parker
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly an easy to find alternative but Advanced Heroquest does have solo play rules for excluding the GM from game play. It does play fairly differently from WHQ but it isn't what I would call bad just different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Bash is also perfect for solo gaming or co-op versus the game. It's (currently) based on D&D 3.5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Periquet dels Palots
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Be sure to try Dungeoneer, it has very neat mechanics.

As part of every turn, there is a DM phase; as players move around the dungeon, they collect Danger points which the other players can spend to fling monsters and other mishappenings to them during their DM phase.

It is all played with cards (non-collectible): the dungeon is built of sections picked from the dungeon deck, and monsters, mishappenings, treasure and magic are also drawn by every player, every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An unusual system I came across is Mythic, by World Mill Publishing. This is a rules set add-on for ANY possible RPG that can remove the need for a GM. It is both its own game system and can be used in other games to create and run adventures without a GM. Chapter 8 specifically deals with Game Master Emulation.

I havent looked at it in depth yet.

http://www.mythic.wordpr.com/page9/page9.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Mage Knight Dungeons. One of my all time favorite dungeon crawls and you can pick up cases cheap on eBay. Looks awesome on the table with the pre-painted minis too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.