Subject: Another visit to Arkham, another round of clarifications. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Valenty
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Having a blast getting into Arkham Horror.

I found myself on an explored gate with an active environment card stating no gates can be sealed (closed only).I had enough clue tokens to seal it, so I chose to take an Arkham encounter in the hopes that the Mythos environment would be replaced during the next Mythos phase. The Arkham encounter opened a gate and monster on my location and said I was drawn in. Since I was already on a gate I interpreted this as a monster surge. Was I correct?

When fighting the GOO, if his combat modifier is -5 and no investigator can come up with more than 5 dice to roll....we all die? Pretty obvious, but I want to make sure we didn't all give up without a fight, cause...we did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1) While a gate is open, the ENTIRE location is replaced so you canNOT voluntarily take the encounter card. In this situation, all you can do is set there, fight monsters, and hope the environment ends quickly.

2) Pretty much. Keep in mind though that if you have Clue tokens, you can always spend them for 1 die, even if the modifiers make you negative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Valenty
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
When you spend toughness for whatever reason, are the gates/monsters returned to the cup/portal-stack, or returned to the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Chaotic Yeti wrote:
When you spend toughness for whatever reason, are the gates/monsters returned to the cup/portal-stack, or returned to the box?

Returned to their appropriate pile in order to be available to be played again.

Things are only returned to the box if they specifically state they go back to the box (Elder Sign cards for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Valenty
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
So the whole portals being depleted from the stack = GOO attack, happens when all the portals turn into trophies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Chaotic Yeti wrote:
So the whole portals being depleted from the stack = GOO attack, happens when all the portals turn into trophies?

Yes. When they are turned into trophies and they are on the board, they are no longer in the draw pile and threaten the game-end condition.

So when you get close to that point, either close gates (even if you can't seal them) or spend the trophies to replenish the stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Having played AH (basic game only) for nth times, it never ceases to amaze me that everytime I question myself over some rule or rather I inavariably find the explanation under Brian (ColtFan76).

At this rate someone should write a book about the rule book and set all the ambiquities straight once and for all.

The man who should undertake "Explaining the Rules of Arkham Horror" ( a Herculean task ) is our own Brian

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.