Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this is an unusual question, but some friends of mine are very enthusiastic about one of my unpublished board games and are also equally enthusiastic about wanting to create their own X-Box Live games. Given the popularity of other X-Box Live games based on board games, my friends have approached me about producing my unpublished board game as an X-Box Live game.

The bottom line: Are their any issues I should be aware of before agreeing to do this? Is it simply a good marketing tool (and source of revenue--since players do pay to download games) to have my board game appear as an X-Box Live game which may drive demand for the game and later convince a board game publisher to publish my game? Or am I closing the door on publishing my board game in cardboard format if I put it out first as a X-Box Live game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
scottwildcatman wrote:
Maybe this is an unusual question, but some friends of mine are very enthusiastic about one of my unpublished board games and are also equally enthusiastic about wanting to create their own X-Box Live games. Given the popularity of other X-Box Live games based on board games, my friends have approached me about producing my unpublished board game as an X-Box Live game.

The bottom line: Are their any issues I should be aware of before agreeing to do this? Is it simply a good marketing tool (and source of revenue--since players do pay to download games) to have my board game appear as an X-Box Live game which may drive demand for the game and later convince a board game publisher to publish my game? Or am I closing the door on publishing my board game in cardboard format if I put it out first as a X-Box Live game?

You're not closing any doors. Look at all the games on BSW -- I'd have to say Dominion's sales haven't been hurt much!

What I would warn you and your friends of is that the XBCG model is not a great revenue stream. It's a nice place to get some C# experience, but don't go into it expecting to support yourselves on sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd look at it this way -
you look to have 3 small games under your belt currently.

Which would be the bigger difference-maker (reputation-maker) for your career right now?
4 small boardgames published
3 small boardgames, plus 1 boardgame that was made into a XBox Live game implementation and can be downloaded and demoed by millions of people?

I'd also ask myself - if I have the ability to get one of my boardgame designs implemented as an XBox live game, can I afford to pass up that opportunity, when the vast majority of other boardgame designers lack this opportunity?

In other words, there are many boardgame designers who can and have gotten small games published - but how many boardgame designers have gotten an Xbox live game published?

And I volunteer to playtest it for ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if there are any intellectual property issues? Will you still clearly own the rights to a board game version? If your ownership of those rights isn't clear, I think publishers might be afraid to risk litigation with Microsoft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Talltim wrote:
I wonder if there are any intellectual property issues? Will you still clearly own the rights to a board game version? If your ownership of those rights isn't clear, I think publishers might be afraid to risk litigation with Microsoft.

Microsoft claims no copyright or ownership of XBox Community Games. For Xbox Live Arcade, it's a little more complicated as sometimes acts as a publisher (similar to a boardgame publisher) and sometimes does deals with a developer where copyright is transferred to MS (this is common in the games industry deals between a developer & publisher).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
As someone who has been down this road, I have to mention that you also need to have MS approve your title. They simply won't just allow any game. They compare the game against what they already have offered and even if it's something they are interested in.

It's very possible that they will say "No thanks".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
not knowing anything on the topic but interested in understanding more

Wouldn't it be easier to go down the iPhone route? Seems that xBox has a more formal approval path where iPhone is open to anything.

I don't think that you can make any assumptions to making money from this, so go with what will generat the most interest, have the lower barriers of entry and creates the most fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.