Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You all should know by now that I am no fan of squirrels. They are vermin. Infested with fleas, ticks and other critters and known carriers of disease. They short out transformers in an Al Queda fashion.... sacrificing themselves to throw your home into darkness. They sneak into your attic and eat insulation in an evil plan to burn your house, and you, to the ground.

Squirrels suck.

And Khrusty's thread this morning about killing some pink maggoty things got me thinking about this response I read to an MSN article about dealing with squirrel infestations:

Quote:
I hope you realize how many squirrels will suffer and die because of your "lethal option". Whatever happened to living with wildlife, they were here first after-all. As a writer you should be more conscious of the implications that an article like this will have, and maybe educate yourself on animal rights a tad while your at it. There are plenty of holistic alternatives to eradicating are distant mammalian relatives.

The respondent is apparently both a veterinarian and a biologist but still fails to use "are" when what he/she meant was "our". In addition, he/she used "your" when the correct word would have been "you're". MisterCranky would be cross about this grammatical error.

What strikes me as stupid in the response is that the writer says the squirrels were here first. Really? I mean, if evolution is the answer to whatever the question is... then all of us, all creatures great and small... have equal rights to Mother Earth's bounty. Right?

If you accept that God doesn't exist and most certainly did not create Man and then squirrels, then you ought to accept that man has as much right to turf and territory as a bunch of mangy tree rats.

I don't want to do a poll or anything like that. I am merely pointing out how stupid even educated veterinarian/biologists can be when they try and use logic in an illogical fashion. Assuming that everything evolved rather than being created... then I figure those fucking squirrels better watch out. I drove them out of my attic with noise and since then my outside dog Harley has added two or three to his usual night time snacks of field mice.

Fuck you, you Godless squirrels! Now that we've been relieved of the compassion attached to the notion of you being something special I will move forward with my plans to kill some more of you little fuckers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I told you already that it's illegal in Berkeley to hire someone to trap squirrels living in your attic.

OK, I thought this was weird, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a slow year for me - I've only nailed 7 so far... In my defense, my scope isn't sighted in very well at the moment, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
mangy tree rats.

I move that they be called this from now on. It almost has a scientific name ring to it.

"Over to our left you will see a fine specimen of the North American Mangy Tree Rat."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOriginalGameBoy wrote:
It's been a slow year for me - I've only nailed 7 so far... In my defense, my scope isn't sighted in very well at the moment, so...

How far away are you shooting from? You shouldn't need a scope for close shooting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I think I told you already that it's illegal in Berkeley to hire someone to trap squirrels living in your attic.

OK, I thought this was weird, too.

Yeah, I remember that. And it confounds me. The fire hazard alone is great enough to make this law anti-human. Not to mention the damage squirrels do to the garden when they bury and dig up their seeds and acorns and whatnot. Don't plants have as many rights as these foul little creatures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Can you kill them? Maybe they just don't want people re-distributing the diseases by live capture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Instead of shooting squirrel I suggest this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
mangy tree rats.

I move that they be called this from now on. It almost has a scientific name ring to it.

"Over to our left you will see a fine specimen of the North American Mangy Tree Rat."

I believe the Latin is "mangus arboris ratus".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
How far away are you shooting from? You shouldn't need a scope for close shooting.

I'm using a pellet gun; typical distance is about 50 yards. A hit anywhere other than the head just doesn't do it, so a scope makes that job infinitely easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A hit anywhere other than the head just doesn't do it

It probably makes them suffer, maybe you could adopt that as a secondary goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

I'm using a pellet gun; typical distance is about 50 yards. A hit anywhere other than the head just doesn't do it, so a scope makes that job infinitely easier.

A pellet gun? You must live in a suburban area then. How many pumps does it take to kill a squirrel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Can you kill them? Maybe they just don't want people re-distributing the diseases by live capture.

I'm pretty sure that where I live (Miami County, OH) it is illegal to relocate wildlife, but I think that you can kill them dead on your property as long as they're not "protected species," of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
A pellet gun? You must live in a suburban area then. How many pumps does it take to kill a squirrel?

Yes and no. Not suburban per se (not near major urban area), but small town neighborhoodish. I have a couple/half acres with lots of old oaks.

I probably could get away with a .22, but only if it were really quiet (which I used once with great effect - it was a Romanian training rifle of old - it literally had zero kick/noise - both less than my pellet gun). The main problem there is ricochet - which happened once with that .22.

As for my pellet gun - only one pump (spring-loaded). It's an RWS 350 .22 caliber. With that, if they're 30yds or less then I can hit pretty much anywhere.

You're right David, it does make them suffer which is not my goal. It also makes them unable to fend for themselves and limp around, which then gets my two dogs all in a frenzy because they have a new plaything/meal. Then I have to worry about lead getting into my dogs... nope; all around better to aim for the head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for my pellet gun - only one pump (spring-loaded). It's an RWS 350 .22 caliber. With that, if they're 30yds or less then I can hit pretty much anywhere.

I'll have to remmeber that if I ever get a squirrel problem. I'm in a suburban area now myself so a .22 won't work for me now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I luvs me some squirrels. I think they're adorable. It's also illegal in my neck of the woods to trap or kill them.

There's a completely squeal-worthy pair of albino baby ones that play together in a tree about a block from where I live.

eeeeeeeeeee!

And since I can already see where the rest of this thread will go, I'm getting out now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I hope you realize how many squirrels will suffer and die because of your "lethal option". Whatever happened to living with wildlife, they were here first after-all. As a writer you should be more conscious of the implications that an article like this will have, and maybe educate yourself on animal rights a tad while your at it. There are plenty of holistic alternatives to eradicating are distant mammalian relatives.

DWTripp wrote:
The respondent is apparently both a veterinarian and a biologist but still fails to use "are" when what he/she meant was "our". In addition, he/she used "your" when the correct word would have been "you're". MisterCranky would be cross about this grammatical error.

People can claim any status on the internet, it does not make them that...

DWTripp wrote:
What strikes me as stupid in the response is that the writer says the squirrels were here first. Really? I mean, if evolution is the answer to whatever the question is... then all of us, all creatures great and small... have equal rights to Mother Earth's bounty. Right?

Technically, where I live the dominant species is the Eastern Gray Squirrel and it is an introduced species, so I should be able to kill as many as I want, right?

DWTripp wrote:
If you accept that God doesn't exist and most certainly did not create Man and then squirrels, then you ought to accept that man has as much right to turf and territory as a bunch of mangy tree rats.

Unless you are a new age hippy

DWTripp wrote:
I don't want to do a poll or anything like that. I am merely pointing out how stupid even educated veterinarian/biologists can be when they try and use logic in an illogical fashion.

People can claim to be anything they want on the internet, it doesn't make it true. Hell, people here have even claimed to be intelligent!

DWTripp wrote:
Fuck you, you Godless squirrels! Now that we've been relieved of the compassion attached to the notion of you being something special I will move forward with my plans to kill some more of you little fuckers.

Have fun, we just let our dogs chase them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I'll have to remmeber that if I ever get a squirrel problem. I'm in a suburban area now myself so a .22 won't work for me now.

It's very nice - had it for about a year and a half now. The scope I have sucks, but then again a spring-loaded pellet gun is rather harsh on most scopes (due to the jarring during the shot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I have to worry about lead getting into my dogs... nope; all around better to aim for the head.

Do you really fire lead pellets? I know you aren't much of an environmentalist, but you only have to care about the environment a very tiny amount to see that's a really bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These look nice:
http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-p-242.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Do you really fire lead pellets? I know you aren't much of an environmentalist, but you only have to care about the environment a very tiny amount to see that's a really bad idea.

I admit you piqued my interest, so I did a little research. A study was recently done in Mass. dealing with this very issue. In the opening report, this was written (in regards to clean up goals of sport shooting sites):

Quote:
The clean up goals based on lead shot density vary according to site conditions, but generally fall in the range of 3-13 shot pellets/ft2. Concentrations of lead shot above this range have been thought to pose an ecological risk in those cases.

In other words, concentrations less than that don't pose a risk. I would have to fire every minute of every day for a long time to come close to that concentration. (accounting for size difference between shot they were talking about and my pellets, it would probably be about 1-2 pellets/sqft)

Now, that being said - I'm not averse to using lead-free pellets. Those quozl posted look damn nifty. However, on this note, I will say that I also just read an article that said that lead-free pellets weren't all they were cracked up to be - in other words they compromised muzzle velocity, accuracy, and power. I'd need to look some more before making a decision - quozl if you get a pellet gun and get these (or something like them) let me know how they work! I probably have 200 pellets left in my canister before I run out so it'll be a while before I need any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl if you get a pellet gun and get these (or something like them) let me know how they work! I probably have 200 pellets left in my canister before I run out so it'll be a while before I need any more.

While we live where there are squirrels, we haven't had any problems with them yet. So it may be a while before I get a pellet gun. (and they're $400? Wow!) I am interested though because I can see it becoming a problem in the future. What kind of pellets do you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
quozl wrote:

Depending on how close your neighbors are you can safely eliminate mangus arboris ratus with a .22 pistol or rifle using these little puppies:

They aren't particularly loud and are pretty effective out to 50 feet or so. We used these in our .22 pistols out in West Texas where we called them snakeshot.

I recommend this brand because it's produced right here in Idaho... where we kill things that annoy us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
I luvs me some squirrels. I think they're adorable. It's also illegal in my neck of the woods to trap or kill them.

There's a completely squeal-worthy pair of albino baby ones that play together in a tree about a block from where I live.

eeeeeeeeeee!

And since I can already see where the rest of this thread will go, I'm getting out now.

All I can see are the flees that you'd get from handling them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.