Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally found at: http://fortressat.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=Last-...

All I can say is that this has become my new game of choice to introduce - to EVERYONE. Players include my wife, brother, sister in law, brother in law, friends, friends' sig others, young cousin - and most recently - my parents.

This past weekend I had to attend a wedding near my old hometown so my wife and I ended up crashing there that night instead of driving back home. Next morning we wake up to a huge breakfast and my brother and sister in law for company. So it get's to be about noon on Sunday and instead of heading out on our 2 hour drive home to enjoy a bit of the last shred of weekend we pulled out LNoE.

My brother and wife were the only one's to have played prior and my sister in law sat out. My mom's not much of a board gamer, but she was willing to try after I told her she'd be on a team with 3 other people. Dad was ready to bust some skulls.

You may have seen me note elsewhere that I've only played the basic scenario and had finally gotten a bit sick of it. Well, I did want to start off basic but did go ahead and add in the advanced hero and zombie cards just to mix it up finally. The first half of the game was all about guns and headshots as my initial spawning of 12 served only to give the heroes ample resting places for their bullets. They probably had nine turns to go and 11 kills.

Then the dice turned.

Ones were rolled in abundance and my bro lost his gun. As did my mom. Three times in all. While they'd used dynamite earlier, and even exploded two gas drenched zombies - my wife got two sticks of dynamite and there was no fire. In fact, it started raining heavily. Zombies were respawned and closing in on my dad and brother near the General Store with it's lights out. Dad (Jake) fell hard and became a zombie hero! He came back as Sally who would die a few turns later. Somehow my brother made it out of a 5 zombie pile but with 2 wounds. The heroes, after all their early arsenal couldnt find a gun to save their lives. It came down to one last turn and they needed 2 kills. They all had to search and my brother pulled a revolver as the cop and shot to bring the kill count to 14. My wife pulled a bat and so did my dad (now on his third character) so couldnt get to a zombie to even attempt. My mom (becky) was in the farmhouse with two zombies on her who'd already give her two wounds. She searched and found nothing of use and then tried to beat the zombies the old fashioned way though she did have a crowbar. She fended one off and then became the third zombie hero as their last turn closed out...

Amazing! Nothing can be taken for granted in this game because of how many dice you roll and I love that. The wife didnt like the advanced cards as much because they're not as readily useful, but I'm pretty sure a lot of that had to do with her drawing 2 useless dynamites.

This game makes sense to people who've seen ANY sort of horror or suspense movie and understand the concept of zombies (undead trying to eat people). My mom was getting the hang of new rules being introduced by cards and would play again. My dad loved it despite dying twice and my brother's been waiting to play the Manor House scenario with me since I first played the game with him. We'll only have to wait 2 weeks...

[see my review at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3718465#3718465]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks for sharing! Need to play it tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.