10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: CAMPING AND BOARDGAMES, THE BIG DILEMMA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Gregory
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am going camping on monday and am going shopping for games, so here it is what are the best games to take camping and why...

Help me please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many people? Get something made of bakelite or heavy duty plastic, such as ZÈRTZ, Hive. Consider other games like Pow Wow and The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow that do not involve any pieces touching the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Gregory
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
3 people, I own Hive so that is already in the trunk...

Cheers for the sudjestions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Miller
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indestructible Hive

or some card game (most of all - small and without tons of things easy to lost)

for example:

Lost Cities

we play with this everywhere:

Caylus Magna Carta

Race for the Galaxy

or something bigger (still cards):

Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have brought all kinds of games camping from simple card games, to euros to bigger games like Shadow Over Camelot.

It all depends on if you have dry place to store them, like in a car vs. a tent. Also bring something you can place over a picknic table as they can be damp and have strange substances on them.

Wind is another big issue. Games with out a ton of light game pieces are nice. There are also many travel versions out for games.

Our camping equipment always has:

Loot
Ivanhoe (Knizia)
Carcassonne
Any number of card games in the Gamewright family
Several of the Kosmos two players games (Lord of the Rings Confrontation stands out)
Cribbage
Roll Through The Ages
Settlers of Catan (They also have a travel one)
Winner's Circle
Kindgoms (without using money, just write points on paper)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back from a church mission trip to Hungary. Took Bohnanza out with me, which was a big hit! Contained card games like that are good as i didn't take the box just packed it in a freezer (zip lock) baggie and packed it carefully in my hand luggage. Was a huge hit! Only problem was that it was left out in a thunderstorm. I won't lie i cried a little
It survived, but 2 chilli beans will never be the same again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
This is actually a semi-popular topic.

1. LARPs or (LAGs) ... LARPs are the ever popular Live Action Role Playing games. I state this to explain its precursor, the LAGs or Live Action Games. LAGs include hybrids of popular games we played as kids like 'hide and seek' and tag. Sounds silly, but there are actually some cool hybrids, like Ca$h 'n Gun$: Live. If you're somewhere beautiful, what better way to take advantage of it.

2. Miniatures ... Miniature games in the wild are cool. Do not worry about getting your hand painted figures dirty, they need not be brought, the terrain can provide these with imagination. Just bring rules for everyone. The natural terrain makes an awesome setting for a game. This is a must try for miniature enthusiasts. (The miniatures game I'd like to reference is not on BGG, yet... its from an old RPG called RECON.)

3. Commercial portable boardgames ... well I'd discourage this idea because the pieces, board and clean places for them is still 'ify' as with full size boardgames, unless you don't mind destroying a copy. A good example of someone cramming a large game into a small box is Catan: Portable Edition.

4. DIY portable boardgames ... a boardgame of your choosing, like your favorite, in many circumstances, can be copied and/or laminated so you can replace all the pieces on the board with markings made with pencil and/or wet/dry erase markers, respectively. My fav is my DIY compact version of Twilight Struggle, the only real effort made in its production was remaking the card system without cards (random chit draw from small bag and card list), but ended up making small card recreations anyways. A lot of the print and play games here may satisfy the same interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there are only three people a lot of the suggestions, including my own won't work. But Bohnanza is not bad with three, and is virtually indestructable, and Coloretto should work well with three as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chien
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently went camping with several games in tow, but the only one that got played was Treehouse. Here's a pic of our game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Books with collections of games, like A Gamut of Games and New Rules for Classic Games have some good stuff. I brought Chief Herman's Holiday Fun Pack and the sequel, and we'd make game pieces from small rocks and a sharpie. I also brought Panzer Leader but it didn't get played. For some reason even weaker games (like 6.0 range) are more fun when you're camping. Oh, and TZAAR is easy to learn and fantastic. Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation would be good too (although both are two player). I've also brought simple five page, one-off rpgs to play with the kids which we'd play at night in our tents. Big Damn Robots would be fun with some cheap minis. Along with Treehouse, don't forget Piecepack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.