Popular Tags: [View All]
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Roberto is working on an entirely new Conan game, as announced in this forum, but has there been any talk of an expansion to this one. There are a few aspects of the game that seem to need a tweak, and room for more players would be nice too (with tweaks). One major issue seems to be the 'ends as it's just beginning' aspect, where only during the Third Age do tensions ratchet up. I do like this game on the whole, and it seems to be going well with the group so far, but I'd love to know there's an expansion / fix in the works somewhere all the same. Anyone know anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Harvey
I don't think it's possible to make a fix for this game. Whatever you do the game will still be incredibly boring. snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's harsh John as I enjoy the game, but thinks there needs to be a better balance with objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also enjoyed the game very much and I don't find it boring at all...

To be honest I think it's quite underrated at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
matthiske wrote:
That's harsh John as I enjoy the game, but thinks there needs to be a better balance with objectives.

Matt

It does seem to be a game that divides people. At my game group some of the people love it , others don't. There was one game played there and everyone disliked the game, but no one wanted to be the first to say so. Finally someone not playing asked how it was going, and one of the players took the opportunity to say he really was not enjoying it. The others then all with a look of relief all admitted the same and the game was abandoned.

On the other hand when I played it the other three people I played with loved it. For my view we played it for around 3 hours and at the end of the game the board did not look very different from the end of the first turn. We seemed to spend three hours not doing a lot. I am a fan of Conan and was looking forward to this game a lot and was very disappointed.

My remark was meant to be light-hearted, though personally I did find it to be a pretty dull game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it disappoints many people because they come to it expecting to be Conan, or someone like him. But the game is The Age of Conan, not The Adventures of Conan, and the players are cast in the roles of kings who must improve their kingdoms, while keeping a wary eye on Conan and endeavoring to occasionally obtain his aid.

It is a good game, not a brilliant one, but you must accept it for what it is. Don't expect an expansion to change its basic nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
magic gecko
Australia
Melbin Oz
flag msg tools
um,... Huh?

I have smoooooshed my neighbours 5 stack with Conan and My 5 stack in the first age. Twice.

The game is just different.
If you want to you can do nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
magic gecko
Australia
Melbin Oz
flag msg tools
um,... Huh?

I have smoooooshed my neighbours 5 stack with Conan and My 5 stack in the first age. Twice.

The game is just different.
If you want to you can do nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F. F.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hob69 wrote:
I know Roberto is working on an entirely new Conan game, as announced in this forum ...

He anounced a new Conan game? Where?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Warlock wrote:
He anounced a new Conan game? Where?

I'm too lazy to search, but there are some posts with links to interviews with the designers. I know one was with Roberto, and I believe one was with Francesco. In it, Roberto mentioned a Conan themed miniatures game. Based on it's description, it made me think of Tannhäuser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsugo wrote:
I'm too lazy to search, but there are some posts with links to interviews with the designers. I know one was with Roberto, and I believe one was with Francesco. In it, Roberto mentioned a Conan themed miniatures game. Based on it's description, it made me think of Tannhäuser.

I actually stumbled on that post today. Here is the link:
http://fortressat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view...

Scroll down near the end for the comment about the new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also from the Nexus website here:

http://www.nexusgames.com/read.asp?id=3565

"Adventures in Hyboria, the first expansion for Age of Conan, will expand the game with new rules, characters and adventures as well with enhancements for Conan figure, who assumes a more active role in the game with two different profiles: Conan the Thief and Conan the Adventurer. In addition, faithful to the Conan stories, the extremely changeable character of Conan will be introduced in the game with a new game mechanic: the mood wheel."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brett Bolen
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
has anyone heard more about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Aw, crap; gonna be sore in the morning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope Red Sonja is one of the new characters. kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
In a different thread here on BGG it was reported that the expansion is now off the schedule. Looks like we'll have to play the game as it is for the time being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.