Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: May buy Agricola soon : What are the Z deck and the other decks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the Z, L , O and any other decks? Will I really need some of them to play (will it give a better experience?).

Some Agricola games include the Z. Do some of the games not include some of the decks? Should I try to get some or all of the decks when buying agricola?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No additional decks are necessary to play Agricola, because hey, the ones included in the game aren't necessary either (if you play the family game variant).

I'd wait until you got a dozen or so games under your belt before even considering purchasing the expansion decks. There's enough options to play with what's included.

Edit: They largely seem to be promotional decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juomes wrote:
No additional decks are necessary to play Agricola, because hey, the ones included in the game aren't necessary either (if you play the family game variant).

I'd wait until you got a dozen or so games under your belt before even considering purchasing the expansion decks. There's enough options to play with what's included.

Edit : Nevermind I had misread. If I don't use the deck included with the game, it's the family version.

Does getting animeeples help bring more the farm feel and would help non-gamers or gamers light to better like this game. I think so, just want to hear your opinions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
Agricola Z-Deck - a 24-card promotional pack of Occupations and Minor Improvements included for the Z-Man Games preorder edition in 2008. Cards are playable; some aren't particularly balanced.

Agricola: L-Deck - a 14-card pack of Occupations featuring people instrumental in Agricola's design and publication. Probably the least playable of the expansions.

Agricola X-Deck - a 24-card deck which adds a variant "alien" rule putting an alien card into play from this deck whenever the Stage II Stone space is selected. Fun and thematic but adds chaos which some players won't like.

Agricola: Through the Seasons - a postcard containing four variant action spaces and variant rules to support them. Some believe the Winter action is brokenly powerful. A worthwhile mini-expansion.

Agricola: Ö-Deck - a 24-card pack of Occupations and Minor Improvements featuring thematic material relating to Austria and originally released there. Now available in English. I haven't played this deck yet but it looks the best balanced of any of the expansions available and it will probably go into my group's regular Agricola rotation.

I'm not sure if Z is available unless you buy a preorder copy secondhand. L, Through the Seasons, and X are available through Lookout Games, or at least were until recently. Z-Man is distributing Agricola: Ö-Deck in the US (and since he's shipping through regular mail I assume he could get it to Canada cheaply enough), though I'm not sure whether he still has copies left.

In my opinion Agricola: Ö-Deck and Through the Seasons are a cut above the other expansion decks and variants, but the X deck may be worth getting if more chaos is what you're looking for in the game. I wouldn't go out of my way to acquire the Z and L decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
And just to be clear (probably telling you something you already know), the base game includes 3 decks: E (easy/beginner), I (interactive) and K (complex). The decks can be used individually or mixed together (I only use one at a time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
Bobthesnake wrote:
Does getting animeeples help bring more the farm feel and would help non-gamers or gamers light to better like this game. I think so, just want to hear your opinions

The animeeples aren't necessary mechanically but I've found they increase the appeal to hardcore gamers and significantly increase the appeal to non-gamers and casual gamers. Agricola is strongly themed, especially for a Euro, and for those who enjoy the farming theme in the first place animeeples only enhance the atmosphere.

That said, there exist third-party animeeples if you can't get your hands on the official ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And to be even clearer.. the three decks that com with are a LOT of cards.. more than you will likely ever need.

Also, the animeeples do add soemthing to the game.. first, they eliminate brown/black disc confusion as to what is a cow and what is a pig. Second, they are cute to play with and very thematic adding a fun dimension. The vegimeeples are pleasant but not as necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
jhagen1908 wrote:
...Agricola: Through the Seasons - a postcard containing four variant action spaces and variant rules to support them. Some believe the Winter action is brokenly powerful. A worthwhile mini-expansion.

I will second that opinion; it is an excellent variant to the game, especially if you play it with compressed seasons, as detailed here:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/352078. My crew has settled on an Autumn start as the most playable array, although things can still be said for a Winter start as well. A Spring or Summer start just seems so illogical as to not be worth considering. Regardless of how you play it, the "TtS" variant is a very worthy add-on, and best of all, it's free!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the skinny:

The game as sold has three decks. You do not need anything more to play. Everything else is gravy, and FAR from essential. The game rocks, and there is near-infinite variety within the base game. Buy it. Play it. Love it. It is deserving of the acclaim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in getting the "O" (in English) and "Z" deck you can currently purchase them from Zman games. I have exchanged emails with Zev yesterday and he still has them in stock. A single deck costs $10 and both will cost $15 with shipping included in the price. Here is the thread with instruction on how to acquire them from Zev himself:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/416627/page/1

Even if you didn't want to use them you can probably sell or trade them and come out ahead. Agricola is very popular in my humble opinion.

I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Z deck is a crap deck of awful cards. Avoid.

Animeeples and vegimeeples upgraded parts, whether from Lookout or Mayday (or a long closed discount bin at Target), are worth getting and definitely make the game easier to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Forsythe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find this GeekList of use, which gathers together the Agricola expansions and has several comments: The complete Agricola

The E, I, and K decks that come with Agricola already give you a lot of options. You'll probably want to play with those for a while first. Then you could print and add in Through The Seasons for no more expense and trouble than that of printing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
jhagen1908 wrote:
Bobthesnake wrote:

The animeeples aren't necessary mechanically but I've found they increase the appeal to hardcore gamers and significantly increase the appeal to non-gamers and casual gamers. Agricola is strongly themed, especially for a Euro, and for those who enjoy the farming theme in the first place animeeples only enhance the atmosphere.

That said, there exist third-party animeeples if you can't get your hands on the official ones.

The files section is loaded with tons of player aids. I highly recommend the resource stickers here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/34399

With a 1/2 inch punch and sticky-back paper, the stickers, affixed to the wood resource tokens that come with the game, give the resources exactly the same icons that appear on the board and cards, and make it much easier to play and nicer looking for new players and afficianados alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I have had the basic game for quite a while now and the different decks either increase the level of difficulty (K deck) or interactive (I deck).....I have only ever used the I deck three times. There is more than enough in the box and no need, imho, to add more decks.
As for animeeples , yes they do make the game a little more realistic. Who would imagine a cow or a pig as a disc ! As for the vegies, I just wish they looked like carrots etc laugh
Get stuck in the basic game and enjoy.

Kind regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend against getting any expansions until you've played quite a few games. The three decks (E/I/K) add a lot of replay value.

If you'd still like more variety, I would pick up or print a copy of Through the Seasons. The Winter action can be unbalancing if played before the first harvest, but that's easy enough to house rule. I think it will keep your attention longer than any of the decks will.

I also highly recommend picking up the Animeeples and Vegimeeples. Without a doubt, they are worth it.

Finally, you should be aware that an expansion will be released at Essen this year.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/43018

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. It's hard to find the animeeples and Vegimeeples here in canada without paying a high shipping cost. I will probably try the sticker thing.

Thanks everyone for you answers, I ordered Agricola and Age of Empire III today.

That should last me a while

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
jhagen1908 wrote:
[
Agricola: L-Deck - a 14-card pack of Occupations featuring people instrumental in Agricola's design and publication. Probably the least playable of the expansions.
I don' think the L-Deck was actually ever meant to be played. Just the people on Agricola themed cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
Thanks for the info. It's hard to find the animeeples and Vegimeeples here in canada without paying a high shipping cost. I will probably try the sticker thing.

Try http://www.shiregames.com/. I only paid a few pounds in shipment, which admittedly was within Europe, but the cost for shipment is based on weight so I don't think it'd be that high to Canada either Right now it seems the animeeples are out of stock, but the vegimeeples can be found there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.