Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in a thematic city building game which ideally, plays in about an hour and supports 2 players and perhaps more. I may be playing it solo for both sides also.

Currently, I am debating between La Città (I'm not sure how long it plays with 2-3 players) and Attika (perhaps too abstract and only good with 2). Which one should I get? Why? And, is there any game in this category that I overlooked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are aspects of La Citta that make it difficult for solo play. Namely, when you choose to peek at the cards. It's hard to play multiple players and not use the information that would normally only be known to those that have "paid the price".

I've never played Hamburgum with only two but, IIRC, I do believe there is no hidden information and it's a great "building" game to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta be Big City! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70 Supposedly a reprint is due soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you have already played San Juan, which was going to be my first recommendation.

Notre Dame is another possibility. I like it with 2, but it's probably better with 3. There's at least one solo variant available. But the game typically goes over an hour, and I'm not sure if it's thematic enough for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
cabalzero wrote:
Gotta be Big City! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70 Supposeedly a reprint is due soon!

Yeah...Valley Games' reprint has been on the "books" for a long time. Currently listed on Gone Cardboard as Q4 2009. I'm not holding high hopes. I'd love to get a copy of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like La Citta a lot. The board shrinks with less players (so is still playable with 2) and there is definitely a city building feel to it. The one part it fails on is the under an hour criterion. I think it is usually closer to 90 min, up to 2 hours with more players. It also can be a little more cut-throat than some Euros (you can steal citizens from neighboring cities).

But I heartily recommend it. It is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you need a game in an hour, but Antiquity is great city building game. It is good solo and mutliplayer. When you have more time check this one out.

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elasund: The First City is by far my favourite in this category. It works great with 2 and scales upwards very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
La Citta is on its way to me. I'm looking forward to it.

I'd love to try Antiquity, but won't pay that kind of money without playing it.

Take a look at the Settlers of Catan Card Game, plus expansions. A lot of game there for the money.

Another idea would be Arkadia.

My favorite building game for two is Agricola.

Building up a plantation board similar to Agricola's player board, but with more and different buildings is Cuba.

The auction falls a bit flat with 2, but look at The Princes of Florence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your advice. I will review the recommended games. I was wondering why no one commented on Attika? Is the game not good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we need a sim city 4 board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:
I was wondering why no one commented on Attika? Is the game not good?

Sorry....in my case, I got Attika (which I have played) confused with Antike (which I haven't).

Attika is a fun game for two players. In my experience, it plays pretty fast after you have a couple of games' experience. Good mix of randomness, options (two ways to win), and strategy. And I love the art. On the other hand, I think this is a game that's probably best with exactly two players. I've never heard of a solo version (and it might be tough to play solo, because each side has a hand of hidden cards). And with 3 or 4 players, the game is said to degenerate into "You have to block him" / "No, you block him" arguments, toward the end. I say, "said to" because most of my plays have been two-player. And, like you said, it's on the abstract, gamey side. If you haven't already done so, check out the BSW version and try it for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:
Thanks for your advice. I will review the recommended games. I was wondering why no one commented on Attika? Is the game not good?

Attika is okay, but it doesn't have a lot of replay value.
Big City is really the end all be all of city building games.
I cannot recommend any other city building game more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel Attika is as much city-building as Alhambra or Carcassonne, which is to say not very much. The Wife and I play Attika & Alhambra more than any other game, and enjoy them very much, but I don't feel they're really city-building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.