United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

This is a companion to my Dominion Card Randomizer thread. I'm looking for the most interesting ten card sets (like at the end of the rule book) and WHY you think they are interesting.

Here's am example that isn't very good, just to set the idea:

Name: Bigger Money
Cellar (2)
Pawn (2)
Steward (3)
Village (3)
Baron (4)
Bridge (4)
Tribute (5)
Mine (5)
Library (5)
Adventurer (6)

This set is all about getting big buys with large amounts of money. There are a number of synergistic combos here like Library+Cellar and since money will be quite available, the Tributes could make for interesting bonuses.

Just an example. I'm sure you all will come up with much more interesting sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zhiwiller wrote:
I'm looking for the most interesting ten card sets (like at the end of the rule book) and WHY you think they are interesting.

Several have been placed in the following thread which, inexplicably, was put in the Variants forum:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/421877
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, thanks, I totally missed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sightreader wrote:
zhiwiller wrote:
I'm looking for the most interesting ten card sets (like at the end of the rule book) and WHY you think they are interesting.

Several have been placed in the following thread which, inexplicably, was put in the Variants forum:

Allow me to explain that then.

As some have pointed out, each combination of Kingdom cards is a new game environment with a unique feel and so I sometimes think of Dominion as 2.5 billion games in one. But really they are all variations of the same theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Miller
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It brings me too much fun when we random select 10 kingdom cards that i don't want to use any sets.

It's realy fun when we make this "lottery".

I recommend to chose randomly! Trully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tommy_M wrote:
I recommend to chose randomly! Trully.

I agree... but only for veteran players. On the other hand, I need these sets for very unique reasons.

Each time I play, we have a mix of players with varying levels of experience and at least one team of complete beginners who are also non-gamer. I, of course, have played many times before, so if we keep playing the same introductory set, then experienced players are put in the awkward position of deliberately playing "dumb" just to give the newbies a chance and keep their morale up.

Non-gamers struggle mightily even with the concept of the discard pile becoming the draw pile, never mind all the ridiculously subtle implications of having (for example) no "+ action" cards in the mix. Thus, when we tried playing with a truly random mix, I found myself trying to explain all these obtuse strategies on top of the rules themselves!

The result was, of course, that they didn't get the subtleties at all (realizing that simply playing the rules correctly was far more important than the subtleties of their card mix). Inevitably, they ran themselves into dead ends of their own making, then concluded (in frustration) that the game was simply stupid, resolving never to play again (they are non-gamers, after all).

On the other hand, thanks to the carefully considered mixes donated to the above mentioned thread, we can be guaranteed that a set of cards demonstrates an interesting and balanced interaction of some sort. Thanks to these wonderful sets, dead ends are easier to avoid. Not only that, but in our last session, the team with the least experience actually won without any slack from players with one or two games under their belt or even me, the player with the most experience!

For a list of these sets, see:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Summary of posts:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3739640#3739640
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cook
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know how old this thread is but there is now a great app for iPod Touch and iPhone called DominionKD that has preset combos for you to pick. (I'm assuming though that you have already found what you're looking for. I'm just commenting so I can ask if you've sleeved your cards because it's kind of bothering me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.