Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The last set of rules (1.4) are not as clear as 1.3 was about sieges, IMO. IIRC 1.3 clearly stated that siege battles lasted 3 rounds, period. So if storming units did not win in 3 rounds, the battle just ended, and they sit on the field (no 4th round).

1.4 only says that storming works "just like a normal battle except the castle Defender....has Double Defense, etc". So I read this as meaning that, yes, again siege battles last 3 rounds, but there is a 4th rd where the storming units have to retreat (either as a withdraw to the field, or a regular retreat).... but then can defending units in the castle can take free shots at them? I didn't see anything that would suggest they couldn't, so we played that way today.

I'm sure I've asked this before too... but it's been a while since I last played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well then... I'll probably have to agree with my opponent today: this may be one of the more important changes in favor of the Frank player that came with the 1.4 rules (since they find themselves defending victory cities from the get go).....besides making it harder for the Saracens to heal.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Buccheri
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
If you love America, you through money in it's hole!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a key point about Siege Combat that is over looked is that the defender who ops to fall into the castle forfeits the field. The rules hint towards this, but aren't crystal clear. If you read into the rules a bit you will see under 6.1 COMBAT ROUNDS. "Battles are fought for a maximum of four(4) combat rounds. The attacker must retreat during the fourth round if there are any defenders in the field." This is referring to field battles. Under 7.31 Storming, It states that "Storming cannot occur until all defending blocks withdraw to the castle. When this occurs, Storming may begin starting with a new combat round. That is, if the field battle ends during Combat Round 2, Storming may begin on Combat Round 3.
Blocks exceeding a Storming maximum are held in Reserve and cannot fire or take hits. Reserve blocks may be freely exchanged for Storming blocks at the beginning of each combat round." It is this statement and the next that leads me to believe that Storming is fought round by round and the Besiegers are in control of the field/town.
"Storming blocks can retreat normally or withdraw to the field of the same town where they remain on siege and cannot regroup." So Storming can only last a max of 3 rounds since you cannot attack on round 4. The beseiged blocks in the castle cannot sally in round 4 because they would be considered the attacker.
There is other supporting info under 6.5 RETREATS, 6.6 REGROUPS, and under movement/ports for the besieger controlling the field. I hope this makes sense and clears any questions you may have.

Tweaks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.