Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by this latest thread about expansions: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/426312

Poll
Which of the following games has expansions (or supplements, promo items, etc.) that you believe add sufficient value to the base game?

(Obviously this list is not as comprehensive as I would like it to be, but if there are other expansions that add greatly to their base game, list them below.)
Age of Steam
Agricola
Battlelore
Bohnanza
Carcassonne
Chez Geek
Commands & Colors: Ancients
Dominion
Dungeon Twister
El Grande
Galaxy Trucker
A Game of Thrones
Jambo
Killer Bunnies
Last Night On Earth
Lord of the Rings
Memoir '44
Munchkin
Neuroshima Hex
The Pillars of the Earth
Power Grid
Puerto Rico
Race for the Galaxy
The Settlers of Catan
The Settlers of Catan Card Game
Shadows Over Camelot
StarCraft
Thurn and Taxis
Twilight Imperium
War of the Ring
Warrior Knights
Zooloretto
      106 answers
Poll created by joshp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lloyd
United Kingdom
Penmaenmawr
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I see Carcassone is the leading vote getter. Of course, some of the expansions are better than others, and the nature of the game and the expansions is that you aren't always going to want to play with all of them (as opposed to, say, Race for the Galaxy where I can't imagine ever wanting to remove the expansion cards (though I will sometimes play without goals (OMG nested parenthesis))).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think scenario/map based expansions are always worth it because they are essentially more of the same goodness (C&C:A, Memoir'44, AoS, Dominion, RftG, etc). But these are qualitatively different than expansions which actively make the base game better (TI:3, Carcassonne, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevwill wrote:

Surprised I missed that one. I forgot Descent: Journeys in the Dark too. FFG certainly does a lot of expansions. I wonder if they build the game with the expansion in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
... FFG certainly does a lot of expansions. I wonder if they build the game with the expansion in mind.

I don't think that thought ever crossed their mind when they developed Runebound (Second Edition), Arkham Horror or Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Falke wrote:
joshp wrote:
... FFG certainly does a lot of expansions. I wonder if they build the game with the expansion in mind.

I don't think that thought ever crossed their mind when they developed Runebound (Second Edition), Arkham Horror or Descent: Journeys in the Dark

sarcasm off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only clicked Lord of the Rings, as along with War of the Ring, it's the only game on the list I own (or will own I think). Don't have the expansion for WotR and haven't thought about getting it, base game suffices for me.

And as already mentioned, Arkham Horror is definately up there. #1 in terms of expansion for me.

Would've also clicked on Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) if it had been mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think most games played on a fixed real world map without any randomizing factors can benefit from new expansions that gives you more maps. Age of Steam and Power Grid are prime examples of this. Not necessary best value, but necessary for re-playability. Then there is a few games that just doesn't feel complete unless an expansion or two are added (Lord of the Rings, Catan and arguably Carcassonne and The Pillars of the Earth. all fine games with just the base game, but they just feel so much more complete when an expansion is added).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree about Catan, mainly because each expansion creates a fundamentally different game, in my opinion.

There are expansions which allow for greater replayability, such as the Power Grid which adds maps. However, the core gameplay is the same. Then there are other expansions which add cards, which change the variable part of the game while still maintaining the overall feel and goal of the game.

There are expansions which keep the game exactly the same but allow for more players, such as the Catan 5-6 player expansion.

Then, there are the expansions like Cities and Knights for catan, which, in my opinion, can drastically change the game. Cities and Knights is, in my opinion, different enough from Catan to be classified as a separate game.

Basically, if I can fell like playing a game without it's expansion, I classify them as two separate games. I may feel like playing Catan, but not Cities and Knights.

If all the expansion does is add more cards, for example, the game is still basically the same, just with more variability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.