Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Sex Change Status was hard to get rid of. But at least you could get a Q:S success with a magical creature and (possibly) give a wealth level to player with Major Magic.

Now....um....hope that you get sex changed again or hope you can find an encounter or city card that allows you to drop a status?

Brutal. Or does it need errata?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. L. Lloyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
...as in my brain fails me at times.
badge
"I like turtles"
mbmbmbmbmb
In this thread, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/425071 , a few folks felt it should be house-ruled. I tend to agree though I haven't had it come up in any of the games we've played. I just think its too rare for it to be something you can only get rid of by another rare occurrence of it.

On the other hand, if I ever end up with a sex change in the game, I fully plan to run rampant with reckless abandonment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it really matter? Isn't the game balanced toward both genders? Or do you get points off for ending with a status of any kind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are not allowed to win the game while sex changed. This is one of the reasons why I prefer to use the old default and now optional rule of only keeping your most recent status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Slomiany
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a good thematic reason why you can't win the game when you are sex-changed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

We're talking about a game where your gender can be magically transformed in the blink of an eye and your concerned about good thematic reasons?

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostOfChristmas wrote:
Is there a good thematic reason why you can't win the game when you are sex-changed?

The status and the rule comes from the "Enchanted Spring" tale. A prince who is about to get married is changed into a woman (I believe he is tricked by a rival to drink from a magic spring, but I can't really remember the details). He can't return home, marry the princess and have his happy ending until he is changed back into a man. Therefore, thematically, if you are sex changed, you can't return home and have your happy ending until you get changed back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

. . . unless you're Katy Perry.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jtop
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't certain how rare the sex-change actually was. I played the game for the first time last night. Two turns in and Sindbad gets sex-changed by a djinn. Another sex-change encounter was the only way back? What are the odds?

arrrh -> kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
As we were setting up, one player said that they had been sex changed when they played the new edition last week.

The very first encounter we had this time resulted in a sex change. Sandi did quite well and would have won the game easily, but the Sex Changed status pretty much removed her from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't sound like its working so well. Looking forward to receiving my copy and trying this game out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruthus wrote:
I wasn't certain how rare the sex-change actually was. I played the game for the first time last night. Two turns in and Sindbad gets sex-changed by a djinn. Another sex-change encounter was the only way back? What are the odds?

arrrh -> kiss

5 games in for us and no sex-change encounters yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Alessi
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
We had a single sex change in our first four player game. We were playing with the single status only rule, so it wasn't a problem. Still, given the apparent rarity of gaining the status, I think I'm joining the house rule crowd.

Also, I think I'm not going to use the single status rule anymore. It seriously weakens the negative statuses. If I'm Lost, I'm almost glad to get beastly form, as I'm now no longer lost. It especially hurts quests that depend on the negative status they give you to make them difficult. One player started with a quest that started her in a city a decent distance from Baghdad with the lost status, and she just had to make it back to Baghdad. She replaced lost with something else on her first encounter and got into the city a turn or two later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Giersch
United States
Saukville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game. Not only was Sinbad (me) a victim of sex-changed, but he also became married to a prophet as well! I lost the game after being imprisoned twice, and accursed, and I never finished my original quest. Had a blast though. I see how the game can be very humorous with the right crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Simcox
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
Does it really matter? Isn't the game balanced toward both genders? Or do you get points off for ending with a status of any kind?

Does it really matter? was answered before this. Is the game balanced was not. I'm not sure about this version yet but the original was not balanced! It was harder to win as a female.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Avery
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
in 4 games so far, Sex changed has popped up twice and it is devishly hard to get rig of. I think this may be the new "lost."

Steve"AliBaba"Avery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Thurston
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, there are more ways to get rid of sex-changed than finding another sex-change opportunity. There are plenty of "discard a status of your choice" results throughout both the book of tales and city cards. At least in our group, we've encountered a sex-change situation once but a discard a status of your choice 5 or 6 times (in about 5 games or so).

Granted, it still is the worst status in terms of being able to win, but it at least allows you to use your skills still. I personally find an early Grief Stricken to be just as guaranteed to lose the game for you with the added torment that you can't use any of your skills (assuming you get grief-stricken before you can master any); Not being able to use any skills pretty much guarantees the worst result of every encounter and it will take a long time to master a skill that way to get the small chance to get a good result in an encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I greatly dislike both Grief-Stricken and Sex-Changed.

Grief-Stricken is just a poorly thought-out status. I became Grief-Stricken in my very first encounter in my very first game, and that meant most of the game was over before I got to use a skill. The problem is its duration. The game is already a ride; no statuses should take away your only real choices for so long.

I'm not sure how I would fix it; probably it would be best if it was something like this, to maintain some of the intent: When you gain this status, place four of your skills under your play mat (or all of them if you have less than four). You are no longer considered to have these skills. Each time you gain a story point, instead remove one of your skills from under the play mat; also, if you would gain a level of a lost skill, instead remove it from under the play mat. To lose: If there are no skills under your play mat, you lose this status.

Sex-Changed is likewise a gamebreaker, primarily because of the no-win condition. I mean, I still had a chance of winning the game where I became Beast Formed three times, but I couldn't if I had been Sex-Changed? Since there is no way of actively reversing it, it sucks. It should have an option out, like Imprisoned, along the lines of: If you are at a location with a danger level of 6 or more, you may choose not to draw an encounter card. Instead, encounter a Sex-Change Spring (paragraph number).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once with my wife and she got sex changed. She was way ahead of me at that point. I wound up winning because she could not get sex-changed back. She didn't like that too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Probono
msg tools
Palpatine wrote:
I've only played once with my wife and she got sex changed. She was way ahead of me at that point. I wound up winning because she could not get sex-changed back. She didn't like that too much.

Women... "sigh" "it is but a game honey!" "it is the journey, not the destination!"

fbranham wrote:
As we were setting up, one player said that they had been sex changed when they played the new edition last week.

The very first encounter we had this time resulted in a sex change. Sandi did quite well and would have won the game easily, but the Sex Changed status pretty much removed her from the game.

I got sex-changed playing Sinbad, I was fabulously rich, I had 4 treasures and only positive statuses (apart from sex-changed), I reached 20 destiny points and 15 story points.
End of story: I lost.

No harm, it is the game. We had lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.