Subject: "Instead of Encounter" rule and Evading monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So 2 of the questions that came up last game I've not found addressed in the forums. Not my game, though everyone looks to me for rules clarifications anyway, so I figured I should get these resolved.

A character gets an encounter (I believe there is at least one at the Newspaper like this) that says something to the effect of "move to such-and-such a location and have an encounter there".

The location your character moves to is a space like one of the stores that has an option "Instead of an Encounter..."

Can the character do the "Instead of" action if they have the appropriate resources, or must they draw a card? My initial thought is that they would have to draw the card, but the rule book continually refers to the "arkham encounters phase" as if using the "Instead of" action on a space is also considered 'having and encounter'. Thoughts?

Second question: if an investigator approaches a monster with the intent of fighting it, can they go straight to the horror check or must they try to evade first? I thought that you only evaded if you were trying NOT to fight, but in looking at the rulebook the other night I'm not sure as I didn't find any reference to skipping evade checks.

It seems like I would have remembered if you had to attempt to evade every time, as the penalty for failure would make fighting monsters a more difficult endeavor every time - I just couldn't find verification in the rules. (Of course, I was playing at the time so I wasn't totally able to just read more thoroughly, and now I don't have access to the rules.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Tidwell
United States
Durango
COLORADO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I would approach the rule from a thematic point of view. Depending on how the card read it could go either way. If it read something like, "A tentacle shoots out and drags you to another location, have an encounter there" you would probably have to draw an encounter card. However, if it read, "You feel like checking out the local general store" I would say that you could purchase stuff instead.

2) You don't have to do an evade check if you intend on fighting. If you fail an evade check you immediately take damage from the monster; if you had to check for evasion every time monsters would slaughter investigators.

[edit: spelling]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1) FAQ Kevin Wilson answered this. You may do anything you normally would at that location: the location special ability, or draw a card, or perform an applicable action of your character (see Wilson Richards as an example). And if that location has a gate, you must then go through the gate as the "encounter."

2) If you choose to run, then you do an evade check. If you choose to fight, you do the horror check and then the combat check. The rules have these as to separate sub-sections.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that it was not the FAQ but an answer from Kevin Wilson on the FFG forums that stated this:

Quote:
question: 2) When one encounter card directs you to have an encounter at another location in Arkham, are you allowed to do the Special Ability at that location or must you draw a card and have a "real" encounter to fulfill the original card's direction?

You can use the special ability if you want, or do anything else that you could normally do "instead of having an encounter" (such as using the Handyman's ability from Dunwich.)

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

source
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Berry
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The notable exception where you have to pass an evade check prior to combat is when you're fighting Elusive monsters, which were introduced in the Kingsport expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks folks! That answers my questions and also means I handled things right last week in the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.