Popular Tags: [View All]
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a dark and stormy world. Suddenly a disease broke out, and only three people held the keys to the survival of the human species - myself, my daughter, and my other daughter.

Amanda had just recently taken a research position with the CDC, where her older sister, Alexis, had been working for several years now as one of the organization's top field scientists. I'd helped put both of them through school on little more than the meager salary of a military medic.

Reports of an anthrax outbreak in Washington were of some concern, but for now, it seemed to be under control. A strain of Avian flu had started cropping up again in Taipei and Jakarta, while a mutated Marburg virus had appeared in several spots across the Middle East. And seemingly to spite us, a near pandemic-level outbreak of swine flu had hit several cities in South America, spreading as far north as Bogota and as far away as central Africa.

We had our hands full, and we already needed these diseases cured yesterday.

To our good fortune, Amanda's research immediately revealed that the new Avian flu strain (for which she had three red cards) was similar in enough ways to prior strains as to make the cure a simple matter. She handed all of her research over to Alexis right away (who also had three red cards), and then headed south to start administering treatments for the swine flu in Bogota. Alexis put the research to use right off, and formulated a cure for the Avian flu.

One down - three to go.

Having so quickly developed the flu cure, Alexis was awarded an extended grant for her research, and she allocated some of her funds to fly out to Taipei, and established a research station in that city. I chose to follow Amanda into South America, and administered much needed treatment to the epidemic level spread of the Swine flu in Sao Paulo. But it appeared we had moved too quickly in the wrong direction, as I received word of the first Marburg epidemic erupting in Moscow, followed by an outbreak spreading from Chennai to the nearby cities.

Time was running out, and we couldn't set it back.

Amanda flew off to Jakarta, and she and her sister took great pains to finally eradicate the avian flu from the world. They celebrated in style, but only for the moment. The swine flu continued to spread, and kept cropping up again even in cities I had already visited to treat. Worse, we got reports that the anthrax in Washington was spreading in the population, and word was that people in Atlanta were now being diagnosed with the disease. I was in no position to help, having made my way toward northern Africa to deal with the spreading Marburg. This, unfortunately, made itself known again when the Moscow epidemic suddenly spread into the nearby cities, and we could only count our lucky stars that it did not cause a chain reaction all the way down to Chennai.

But luck again favored us as I managed to get an airlift through an old Air Force buddy of mine, and he dropped me right into the middle of Chennai. Amanda had indicated to me that she had completed research on a cure for Marburg, she simply had to get to one of the CDC stations to create the cure. I obliged her by putting in a call to a few military connections I had in Chennai, and built a research station right there. Amanda gladly executed the necessary steps to develop the Marburg cure.

Two down - two to go.

Myself, I was close to gathering enough pieces to the Anthrax problem, and Alexis, through her research on the Avian flu that she had cured, thought she might be onto something for the Swine flu. A good thing, as the disease eventually spread as far as Los Angeles, and caused an outbreak from Santiago. So while I traveled the Middle East spreading Amanda's Marburg cure, Alexis started her way back toward South America to keep the Swine flu in check and complete her research. In no time, I had spread the Marburg cure to enough places, and Amanda supplied me with the last bit of research needed to complete a cure for the Anthrax problem from the Chennai station.

Three down - one to go, and the one still spreading like mad.

But it proved to be no match for our family team. Amanda hopped from her meeting with me to a meeting with Alexis in Cairo, and while I headed to South America to continue work on keeping the flu from spreading, Amanda she supplied Alexis with the last piece she needed to effect a cure for the Swine flu. Alexis chartered a flight to DC, drove all night to Atlanta, and by the next day had a cure in hand to kill off the Swine Flu.

Four down. The human race was once again saved from extinction.

Final Board:

Only three epidemics drawn, only three outbreaks, and a little less than half the player deck remaining.

Most successful game of Pandemic (at normal level) we've played yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

As Forrest Gump would say: "It happens".....not very often, but when it does it leaves the players with an empty feeling (was there really an epidemic that endangered mankind ?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also had the luck of a few other special event cards. I drew Forecast and that allowed me to put a couple of now-useless reds on top, and stack Moscow and one of the yellow cities near the bottom. Having done so, I made it clear to the kids that we needed to get rid of cubes in Moscow before Alexis drew any infections. That turned out not to be quite true, because Amanda also had a "Quiet Night" to prevent a draw on her turn, which delayed Moscow until my turn, and I was near enough to go cure the diseases there. And Amanda also got a "Resilient Population" which took Washington out of the game (as shown at the top of the picture). Along with the Airlift, we got four event cards and that made a major difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done. It does seem a little anti-climactic when it goes this way. On the other extreme, we recently won with no cards left in the draw pile. (You don't lose until someone has to draw another one). It really depends on how the cards come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.