Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
"charming and unpretentious" is a perfect description of the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems more like it's based on pictures from old fairy-stories and the like, as opposed to the D&D/World of Warcraft look that most fantasy games use now (including Talisman).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, and the adventures are based on fairy tales and myths, mixed and matched to fit the themes (you're in the minotaur's maze, but there are three companions from different tale/myth cycles who've been in mazes and can help you find the way out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Toth
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I am an old school gamer that learned to judge a game negativly for its good art. It usually indicated that they were hiding a poor game in wrapping paper. Plain, no nonsense counters, sududed and sevicable maps were the order of the day.
Jump ahead after a long gap in gaming and now EVERYTHING is covered in glitz and icing and if you don't have lotsa plastic or wooden bits no one will look at it.
The art work did throw me, the style is fine by me, but not what I learned to expect in the modern, Eurogame, dazzel me with BS and I'll pay anything culture I entered.
My old school training kicked in and I see the charm in the drawings.
Ultimately the play is the thing and it sounds good when it hits the table.
No money to by things right now so I hope that the Mythgardia team gets someone to do a mass production,
There are 100 people out there that now own it so I hope we see 100 reviews soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you don't have to be crazy to like the old Titan counter art better than the one in the new edition. It IS better!!!

Ah... and I agree about the art in Mythgardia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad that someone found something to like about the art. I can't say that I agree on any point, but if you're happy, then more power to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Maclean
United Kingdom
Innsmouth House
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
I also like the art, and agree "charming and unpretentious". A simple, uncomplicated style that appeals to me.

Due to the "Myth"-like nature of the game, I'll actually play "The Once and Future Harp" CD music in the background to build appropriate mood during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Temske
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy just showed up last night - I hope to play it tonight. I think the Art is fine. I do wish the actual materials were a little higher quality given how much the game cost. I'm concerned the components will degrade quickly as the underlying card stock is a bit flimsy. The box is already torn just from the shipping (and it was packaged well).

I too have heard good things about the underlying gameplay - hopefully my copy will hold up to repeated playings!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Temske
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I won't have to worry about the repeated playings - this one's going up for sale. Maybe I just missed something, but I can't figure out the favorable reviews the game has gotten. It just did nothing for me - just a roll and move game with a few interactions, but overall very dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Boleen
United States
Northwest
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
targetu wrote:
Well, I won't have to worry about the repeated playings - this one's going up for sale. Maybe I just missed something, but I can't figure out the favorable reviews the game has gotten. It just did nothing for me - just a roll and move game with a few interactions, but overall very dull.

I'm just curious: have you played and like Talisman? This game sounds similar to Talisman in the "basic" mechanic. If you didn't like Talisman; you probably don't care for the style of the two games. Which is okay; just not your style of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll disagree here. I think the art is very amateurish and unoriginal; it reminds me of something you'd find in a clip art pack about 10 years ago. I can see where the point is coming from, but if I were to refer to a games art as "charming and unpretentious," my first inclination would be towards any of Juliet Breese's art in the Key Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Temske
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kboleen wrote:
targetu wrote:

I'm just curious: have you played and like Talisman? This game sounds similar to Talisman in the "basic" mechanic. If you didn't like Talisman; you probably don't care for the style of the two games. Which is okay; just not your style of game.

I have played Talisman - and it was the fact that the same individual designed both that I picked up this game. Sorry, but this is no Talisman. At least in Talisman there's some interaction, meaningful level-ups, a more interesting board to move around (particularly with the dungeon expansion, etc.) There just doesn't seem to be much variety in this game - limited cards, meaningless encounters, etc. Just an opinion of course - I'm not trying to state this as fact or say that others couldn't enjoy the game, but it does nothing for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zozimusque Romanus
Canada
Hull
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you already sold your copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.