Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: [Video] Game Night with Battlestar Galactica rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of wonderful reviews for Battlestar Galactica already out there. However, given the nature of the community of my own website, this was one game that I had to cover. However, because there are so many great reviews already, I'm only releasing a video review this time. Also, a lot of the focus of this episode goes into the review itself with only a "brief" explanation of the rules.

This is the last group of episodes we have recorded, so in the future, we will be taking the suggestions we have gotten in the past about shorter episodes into consideration. But for now, the is what we have for you.

Just for the sake of disclosure, this is the first game that we have received for free for the purpose of reviewing it. It did not come from Fantasy Flight, however, so there was no real reason to give the review a more positive take than it deserved. However, the price of the product wasn't really much of a consideration in the review.

If you enjoy the episode, please subscribe to our YouTube channel. If you go to the actual YouTube page, our videos are available in HD format. Also, please take a look at our previous episodes:

Railroad Tycoon
Rails of Europe
Last Night on Earth
Dominion
Small World

Now for the show:








5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the player volume on max and the computer volume on max just to make it barely audible. Anyone else find it very very quiet, or is it just me?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, interesting. My speakers are generally pretty low volume, but I can make it out pretty well. I'll have to make sure to boost the volume further next time. Volume is a tricky thing, it varies so much from computer to computer. It's hard to tell when you've got it right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this is definatly on the lower end of the volume scale. I'm gonna have to get back to it once I'm at my home computer with descent speakers or find my headset.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Pruitt
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the hospital immediately. The top half of your head is missing.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Saberj wrote:
Just for the sake of disclosure, this is the first game that we have received for free for the purpose of reviewing it. It did not come from Fantasy Flight, however, so there was no real reason to give the review a more positive take than it deserved. However, the price of the product wasn't really much of a consideration in the review.


Dollar for disclosure.

I wish more people did this.

-DK
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
littlechild_zu wrote:
Go to the hospital immediately. The top half of your head is missing.
That's perfectly normal.... for a cylon robot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So you say at the end "overall, its a great game" that you "hold it fondly". Its pretty interesting that you say that, while tearing it apart during the entire review.

With that in mind, I have an interesting question. Have either of you actually sat down and played at least one entire session of this game, prior to this review?

It sort of sounds like perhaps you have just read the rules and halfway, at that. If you have played, it sounds like one time, maybe, for an hour or two.

Mind you, this isn't the ranting and raving of a zeolot whose beloved game, you are attacking. Rather, the endless contradictions, and the poor reasoning why you don't like this or don't like that, really points to you having not given the proper time needed for an actual good review.

Lastly, I am sure I'm not the only one who raised an eyebrow at this
Quote:
It did not come from Fantasy Flight, however, so there was no real reason to give the review a more positive take than it deserved.
Surely, this was a rather lame attempt at humor.

My review of your review is though you show the uninitiated the basic game breakdown, you really need to work on presentation. I've seen a couple of other reviews from you, but you clearly sound like you are going through the motions on this one - not your best effort.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In your explanation of skill checks you state players can play up to two skill cards. That is not correct. There is no limit to the number of cards a player may contribute (unless they are in the brig or a revealed Cylon).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend this video review. There are a few unhelpful ambiguities and at least one error in the rules presentation, and at least one time the reviewers altered some key terminology (like 'crisis' cards). These mistakes can cause otherwise avoidable confusion for someone who is learning the game for the first time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also picked that up Todd, and that was one of the reasons I believed they didn't even really play an entire session. That is a pretty key mistake, and not just a video typo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
So you say at the end "overall, its a great game" that you "hold it fondly". Its pretty interesting that you say that, while tearing it apart during the entire review.


Sorry you felt we were tearing it apart. In reality, we were just discussing our problems with the game. I can absolutely love a game and still have problems with it. As I said at the end, I really think the beauty of the game comes from the social interactions that it encourages, the element of the hidden traitor, etc. The game mechanics themselves are good in some areas, bad in others, but they work for the most part. Doesn't mean they are all great.

JacquesDeMolay wrote:

With that in mind, I have an interesting question. Have either of you actually sat down and played at least one entire session of this game, prior to this review?


Yes, several times.

JacquesDeMolay wrote:

Mind you, this isn't the ranting and raving of a zeolot whose beloved game, you are attacking. Rather, the endless contradictions, and the poor reasoning why you don't like this or don't like that, really points to you having not given the proper time needed for an actual good review.


Can't speak to how you felt about our reasoning. But, we played it several times. Quite enjoyed almost every game. But I have my problems, and I did my best to convey that. In the process, we got a rule wrong. I apologize for that.

JacquesDeMolay wrote:
Lastly, I am sure I'm not the only one who raised and eyebrow at this
Quote:
It did not come from Fantasy Flight, however, so there was no real reason to give the review a more positive take than it deserved.
Surely, this was a rather lame attempt at humor.


Lame attempt at humor? I have no clue what you are talking about. I wanted to make it clear that this was a free copy of the game we were reviewing. But since the copy is not from FFG, that matters quite a bit. We are under no pressure to over-hype the game. That should be clear to you now, since you say we "tear it apart through the entire review".

JacquesDeMolay wrote:

My review of your review is though you show the uninitiated the basic game breakdown, you really need to work on presentation. I've seen a couple of other reviews from you, but you clearly sound like you are going through the motions on this one - not your best effort.


Fair enough. You don't like it. Sorry to hear that. We are continually working to improve our presentation. I'll remind everyone that we've done less than 10 episodes so far. So I consider this show a work in progress. We are listening to complaints as we go, and working on any issues that are pointed out. The only thing I can think that would give you the impression of "going through the motions" is that this was one of the first episodes that we were attempting to "shorten" the videos as was suggested in the last couple episodes. In addition, the episode was heavily edited. No excuse for it, if this is the reason that it conveyed negative problems. So, as always, we will try harder and continue on.



Hatchling wrote:
I wouldn't recommend this video review. There are a few unhelpful ambiguities and at least one error in the rules presentation, and at least one time the reviewers altered some key terminology (like 'crisis' cards). These mistakes can cause otherwise avoidable confusion for someone who is learning the game for the first time.


This is definitely a review that is not meant for the first time player. It was specifically stated that this was not a full-overview of the rules, and was mostly there for the purposes of the review.

JacquesDeMolay wrote:
I also picked that up Todd, and that was one of the reasons I believed they didn't even really play an entire session. That is a pretty key mistake, and not just a video typo.


Sorry, but you are simply incorrect. We played no less than 10 games before doing this review. Don't know how we botched that rule, but we did. Mistakes happen.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
littlechild_zu wrote:
Go to the hospital immediately. The top half of your head is missing.


I know. A terrible tragedy, right? He's still recovering.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Saberj wrote:
Lame attempt at humor? I have no clue what you are talking about. I wanted to make it clear that this was a free copy of the game we were reviewing. But since the copy is not from FFG, that matters quite a bit. We are under no pressure to over-hype the game. That should be clear to you now, since you say we "tear it apart through the entire review".

Conversely, it disturbs me that this even needed to be mentioned. If somebody feels pressure to over-hype a game then they have no business reviewing the game in the first place.

I enter any review with the assumption that it's an unbiased review. If somebody makes a statement in one review to the effect of "oh, by the way, this will be an unbiased review" then I start to wonder if maybe their other reviews are not so unbiased. Or, at the very least, this person is susceptible to pressure to bias a review.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That you "think" the game mechanics are "bad in areas" is just your opinion - and one not typically shared very often here.

You come to this particular game forum, and spend a great deal of you "ahem - review", discussing all the things you don't like, then in the end you say - great game. Your final assessment comes across as very hollow indeed.

Quote:
This is definitely a review that is not meant for the first time player. It was specifically stated that this was not a full-overview of the rules, and was mostly there for the purposes of the review.


If this is the case, then I am uncertain who your target audience is, seeing that this review would add "nothing" to an an experienced player's knowledge base.

Its really hard to believe that you have played this game 10 times, thinking that you could only add up to 2 cards per crisis check. I'm going to assume that all of the gamers, including yourself, that made up your 10 sessions of play, just happened to miss reading that rule, repeatedly. I suppose it could happen.

I have watched an episode before of your program before. I thought that one was good - and good for the first time player.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
That you "think" the game mechanics are "bad in areas" is just your opinion - and one not typically shared very often here.


Fantastic. You know what a review is. I was wondering. I don't believe I ever claimed that the thoughts I give during a review is fact. If so, I apologize.

JacquesDeMolay wrote:

You come to this particular game forum, and spend a great deal of you "ahem - review", discussing all the things you don't like, then in the end you say - great game. Your final assessment comes across as very hollow indeed.

Quote:
This is definitely a review that is not meant for the first time player. It was specifically stated that this was not a full-overview of the rules, and was mostly there for the purposes of the review.


If this is the case, then I am uncertain who your target audience is, seeing that this review would add "nothing" to an an experienced player's knowledge base.

Its really hard to believe that you have played this game 10 times, thinking that you could only add up to 2 cards per crisis check. I'm going to assume that all of the gamers, including yourself, that made up your 10 sessions of play, just happened to miss reading that rule, repeatedly. I suppose it could happen.

I have watched an episode before of your program before. I thought that one was good - and good for the first time player.


Sorry you don't like it. That's a sincere statement. But there is only so much I can say in response to your complaints.

As to the overlooking of the rules? I said I've played the game 10 times. I never said I read the rulebook 10 times. I played with mostly the same group every time. Once we got to the point where we thought we knew the game pretty well, we no longer continued to read the rules every time.

I have no idea how we missed that rule. And I already apologized. But I'd appreciate it if you would stop belittling our opinions because it doesn't mesh with yours, and because of that rule. If you find more errors, I'd love you to point them out. But continuing to bash the review when I've responded isn't helping anyone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
Saberj wrote:
Lame attempt at humor? I have no clue what you are talking about. I wanted to make it clear that this was a free copy of the game we were reviewing. But since the copy is not from FFG, that matters quite a bit. We are under no pressure to over-hype the game. That should be clear to you now, since you say we "tear it apart through the entire review".

Conversely, it disturbs me that this even needed to be mentioned. If somebody feels pressure to over-hype a game then they have no business reviewing the game in the first place.

I enter any review with the assumption that it's an unbiased review. If somebody makes a statement in one review to the effect of "oh, by the way, this will be an unbiased review" then I start to wonder if maybe their other reviews are not so unbiased. Or, at the very least, this person is susceptible to pressure to bias a review.


I've seen a lot discussion concerning other reviewers, and how they do not disclose their review copies. So I just wanted to make the situation clear up front. Battlestar is the first game we have reviewed to not get purchased using our own funds. But, it's not the publisher directly sending us a copy.

Unfortunately, it happens quite a bit in some areas of reviews. Video Game magazines seem to be the really guilty party. First Party "official" magazines are often biased, as are magazines that want to get future exclusives from a publisher. I doubt that's happening with Board Game reviews, but you never know. Better for the facts to be clear, and let people make their own decision about whether they think the review is biased.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Saberj wrote:
If you find more errors, I'd love you to point them out.

The humans don't win when they reach a distance of 8, like you claim in the review. They have to reach 8 and then make one more jump.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you ought to read the rules 10 times before you make absurd reviews. Either way I'm done with this debate - convince yourself of your virtue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
Saberj wrote:
If you find more errors, I'd love you to point them out.

The humans don't win when they reach a distance of 8, like you claim in the review. They have to reach 8 and then make one more jump.


Yeah, I actually knew that one. Just said it wrong. Thanks for pointing it out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.