Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Pride
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably late to ask for this, as I'm going to have a session tonight, but maybe somebody fast enough to read this and reply?

Background: I've played a couple of times, with and without shadow of war expansion. Well, after shadow of war, I've never played vanilla again.

Anyway, I've never ever defeat the overlord. I don't know if this a bad planning or what but it seems we never had enough turns to beef up and fight the overlord. There's always a thing or two that we want to get, then suddenly it's 30th turn.

I know there's a variant for playing without turn limit, but I don't really like it. Somehow in my mind give warnings that it would be endless game. So, I opt for trying 3 actions per character in one turn.

Has anyone tried it before? Or maybe someone who played a lot could see potential problem or balance problem about this variant? Before I play?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
To your original point - are you trying to build your party up to 5th level before taking on the overlord? If so, that's probably what the problem is. The overlords in the base game are all VERY beatable with a party of level 4 characters.

Anyways...adding a third action per turn is roughly the equivalent of adding 7 more normal turns to the game. Why don't you just do that - set the end game timer to end on the 14 a second time around and just have the timer wrap around when you reach the end of the time track? That way you won't need to worry about unexpected balance issues with having extra actions.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pride
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, now that's creepy quick surprise. But thanks!

Well, that point of view somehow escape my mind until I wrote this question. Alright, so the base game really just need lv 4 to challenge the overlord? We'll try that. Let's see if we can throw our worries and just go for it .

IF, by turn 30 nobody defeat the overlord, then I will opt them for another 7 turns (or, if they're pretty hardcore, go all the way to another 30 turns robot).

Let's see if this will fix the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Aardvark
msg tools
mbmb
For what it's worth, our group plays by a house rule that you get one free move action per turn. So we play that you get 1 move action and 2 additional actions as normal (which of course can also include moves).

For us this helps keep the game moving and it tends to slightly shorten the time played without overly unbalancing.

We are only playing the base game currently but Shadow of War arrives next week, hopefully it fixes some of the other problems in the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.