Weilong» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exploiting the fifth son? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so one thing I do not understand. In the gameplay example fifth son traded places with the first son to get the next opportunity to reroll. (even with 2 dices left to get ones it might be best trade available?!)

Anyways he collected dice 5...which is understandable IF HE BELIEVES that the new fifth son will never get his chance again to roll! He will just get negative 5 points! Because they are collected?! (If new fifth son get a one more turn he might win more easily with the allready collected 5)

But question: then again why would he not go for the dragon and collect all 1,3,5. and get 3 more negative points for the player he is going to switch with?!

Keeping this mind is the ultimate roll for fifth son on first roll something like 66444 now he collects the 444 which does not help but actually hinders the new fifth son and then trades with someone else!? That player now gets 12 points of negative?!
(ofcource this assuming he does not roll straight winner!?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Welcome to the finals of the 43rd Stare Out Tournament. Press Esc to start.
mb
Actually the ultimate roll for the fifth son is 66666, since I don't recall that you can't collect sixes. So best case scenario is to roll 66666 collect the three 6s, swap with the first son's nearly complete hand and win it.

But I don't really see the point of the fifth son ability, since if you don't do anything at all, you still got your +0 penalty, and I saw nobody ever take the risk of trading the freeride away. As a houserule we used to penalize it, and the fifth son gets the +0 only when he collected at least three dice, any other case its +15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that without the switch ability this game is just too luck based! Only reason indeed to use the abilility would be in my mind to screw with a player who is winning by a lot and you yourself are loosing by a lot mayby in round 3 or 4?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like unless you use a house rule, like suggested above, giving 5th son to someone who is winning by a lot is very bad. They can just collect nothing and guarantee themselves a free pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Perhaps an alternative would be to give the Fifth Son positive points if he switches with another player? That way, there is some incentive not to just "do nothing."

It would be a gamble - do I take the positive points and hope that I don't get stuck with more negative points or am I just satisfied with zero points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.