Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This was a fun game! But we ran into a few discrepancies, especially where the rule book simply says "figures" and don't specify just enemy or friendly figures when we felt it should. Thank you in advance for all your wonderful replies. =) Feel free to redirect me to other threads if these have already been answered, I searched the rules topic and nothing came up immediately.

1) For a ranged attack by a hero, is their LOS blocked by friendly units? If so, how do they shoot behind the melee characters in a narrow hallway?

2) When you arrive in town, do you recover ALL of your fatigue and wounds? We assume you do, but we couldn't find it in the rulebook.

3) When you draw a "treasure cache" card out of the treasure decks, do you shuffle it back in? We thought it would be strange if you kept on drawing that card so we ruled last night we just remove it from the deck once its drawn.

That's all I can remember for now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friends and enemies block line of sight.

If you have enemies behind you move, then shoot them, then move back. Remember you can carry out an attack action at any point during your movement action.

If you are KILLED and go to town then you get all your fatigue and wounds back. If you just choose to visit town you get NOTHING back.

When you treasure card you normally keep it. If as i think you mean the ones that say things like take 50 coins and draw again, we always discard those cards once drawn. I don't think it explicitly says anywhere. I think the wording says something like get 50 coins and discard this card, draw another card. It would really need to explicitly say reshuffle into the deck.

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Andy for the quick reply.

Another question,

4) If a character equips two one-handed weapons (flying death and crossbow) since they don't give off-hand bonus, you choose to use one or the other during your attack and can't use both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You select your primary weapon, if the other gives no off-hand bonus, you'll have to do without

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBurd wrote:
But we ran into a few discrepancies, especially where the rule book simply says "figures" and don't specify just enemy or friendly figures when we felt it should.

If it just says "figures," then that's what it means.
Quote:
We assume you do, but we couldn't find it in the rulebook.

Forgive me, but you seem to assume several things that aren't in the rulebook, which doesn't really make them discrepancies. You'd generally be better off by assuming that the rules mean what they say.

Not that the game is without its errata. You should familiarize yourself with those, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hayek
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheBurd wrote:
Thanks Andy for the quick reply.
4) If a character equips two one-handed weapons (flying death and crossbow) since they don't give off-hand bonus, you choose to use one or the other during your attack and can't use both?

Right. At the beginning of attack, you declare which weapon you are attacking with. But, as you asked, you can't attack with both weapons.

As a side note, if you had a ranged weapon and a melee weapon, you would not be able to use off-hand bonuses since one would give an off-hand bonus for melee attacks and the other would only give the off-hand bonus for ranged attacks. So, equipping the crossbow and sword really doesn't give you any advantage with the off-hand during a ranged attack.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yuppers, thanks for the answers.

Some of the players in my gaming group are just used to rules in other games that "make more sense" to them which is why there was some discussion on some of these rules. Also, since we were unfamiliar to the rules, the combination of the rulebook and errata/FAQ was daunting and we always felt that it MAY have been in the rules but we just can't find it.

eg. Sweep is described as just "figures" in the rulebook. Then in the FAQ it says it only affects enemy figures. So with something like that, we began to wonder if there were changes like that made to other attacks and LOS rulings.

All in all it's what being a n00b is all about. =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thayek12 wrote:
As a side note, if you had a ranged weapon and a melee weapon, you would not be able to use off-hand bonuses since one would give an off-hand bonus for melee attacks and the other would only give the off-hand bonus for ranged attacks. So, equipping the crossbow and sword really doesn't give you any advantage with the off-hand during a ranged attack.

In fact, ranged weapons never grant off-hand bonuses. They're strictly a melee thing.

TheBurd wrote:
eg. Sweep is described as just "figures" in the rulebook. Then in the FAQ it says it only affects enemy figures. So with something like that, we began to wonder if there were changes like that made to other attacks and LOS rulings.

Er...looks to me like the rulebook restricts Sweep to enemy figures, too.

"Sweep attacks affect all enemy figures within melee range of the attacker." (rules p. 23)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBurd wrote:
Some of the players in my gaming group are just used to rules in other games that "make more sense" to them

Unfortunately, play enough dungeoncrawl games, and that's what happens!

LOS around corners is the worst. Some systems have corners blocking LOS. Others don't. At least one has corners not blocking LOS *unless* there's a figure right next to the corner. Sheesh!

But enjoy the game. Go download some of the user-made maps on the FFG site. They're all rated, and some of them are much better than the ones from the original game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.