Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I received my TtA game (the one I ordered from amazon UK) and it is now clear that it is the second edition (2007) with 350+ Game Cards and 265 Wood Tokens. However, there was an extra little bag that has the following:-

Age 2 : Coal with the number 7 next to a light bulb and an 8 next to a rock; also a large 3
Age 3: Oil with a 9 next to a light bulb and an 11 next to a rock; also a large 5
Age 2: ? Assassinate (aggression)
Age 2: War over Resources

Extra stickers numbered: 90, 160, 170, 180, 120, 140, 130, 110, 100, 150
Extras: 5 White cubes and 10 white cylinder tokens
5 Blue cubes and 10 blue cylinder tokens
5 Red cubes and 10 red cylinder tokens

That is it.

Is this game now up to date, please ?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is the fix pack for the first FRED printing. I am surprised there are still some out there. Consider yourself lucky. With that fix pack, you have the most (but not completely) error-free version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards replace existing cards in the decks that have typos. So you need to find those cards and remove them from the game.

The stickers are to fix the error on the scoring track (it goes 88,89,100).

The various tokens are just added to the game to ensure you will not run out during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks Daniel. Oh, still not error free shake

Anyway, I have the game now and will start reading the Simple version on Sunday or Monday after my weekend 3 or 4 player sessions with Tikal or LeHavre interspersed with Court of the Medicis.

Just want to say this: the total for TtA came to nearly £50 (with tax and p@p) so it better be as good as it sounds

Best regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Thank you Todd. This is really helpful because there was not a single instruction as to what to do with the extra cards and stickers. The tokens are obvious, but the rest......

Best regards and thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon,

I've done the same as you - bought the second edition from Amazon, it was £42.98 delivered. It seems that we in the UK are now obliged to pay huge amounts for "Euro" games (as in the currency not necessarily the game type).
I've applied the stickers to the scoring track; the only drawback is that cards can get caught by the stickers so i'm not sure it was worth worrying about.
As to whether it's worth it, the jury's still out for me. We took 3.5 to 4 hours to finish a 4-player simple gamegulp
I guess we are not very good at decision making! There is a certain amount of downtime before it's your go again. 2 player seems not so bad but I don't think my group will ever be able to play the full game in under 4 hours. One can't help but admire the cleverness of the game though - its cleverness makes me want to rate it high anyway, perhaps as one should for chess even if it is hated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
banzai123 wrote:
As to whether it's worth it, the jury's still out for me. We took 3.5 to 4 hours to finish a 4-player simple gamegulp

That's amazingly fast for 4-players! Did you play the full game through the end of Age III? If so, that was some speedy play. I actually avoid playing this with 4 players. The 3-player game is just as good, gameplay-wise, but there is a lot less downtime. Most of my games have been 2-player, which can be had in 1-2 hours, and is extremely enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He said it was the simple game. A 3-4 hour simple game for that long would make me want to kill myself. The simple game should only be played for 30 minutes, tops. If you aren't done yet then just quit and start the advanced game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
He said it was the simple game. A 3-4 hour simple game for that long would make me want to kill myself. The simple game should only be played for 30 minutes, tops. If you aren't done yet then just quit and start the advanced game.

Oh... ouch then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
The simple game should only be played for 30 minutes, tops. If you aren't done yet then just quit and start the advanced game.

That's good advice. The base mechanics are fairly sound and after 30 mins you should have the grasp of the game. The advanced and full games just add a few more things to keep track of. Another good piece of advice that someone mentioned was playing with only 3 players. The game is pretty much the same with 3 or 4 players, the main difference being that the 4p game is about an hour longer than a 3p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
The game is pretty much the same with 3 or 4 players, the main difference being that the 4p game is about an hour longer than a 3p.

An hour if you're lucky. In my experience, that 4th player increases game time by significantly more than the 33% one would expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Yes Nigel, I looked at the tiny stickers and had resevations. You are right: best to leave the board as it is.

One other thing: the plastic insert tray is diabolical. The card inserts are not deep enough and they were strewn about as soon as I took the box to the table after struggling with the usual "find a way to remove wrapper and do not tear cards" business angry I removed the tray and put each set of cards in plastic bags and the tiny wooden tokens in a clear box.

I have not read the Simple rules yet, but I did peep laugh and it sure looks complicated.
I wager that my first 2-player Simple setting will take three times longer than yours.

Well, I wanted this game and now I have it (£48.95 or not shake) ....better start reading the TtA Forum next week for tips etc.

All the Best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My four-player games have, at most, taken 4.5 hours. They consistently take 4 hours now.

I have come to prefer the game with four players. I have, however, recently decided that I am done playing it with only two players. The zero-sum nature and almost non-existent political actions aren't nearly as interesting as with three or four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.