Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer - The only excuse we have is we rushed into playing the first time and only quickly scanned the rules, assuming too many things from similar games.

So, my buddy brought his copy of The Kaiser’s Pirates over last week, saying he was having trouble figuring it out. Turned out, the main problem was understanding that an Intercept card can either: a) Have German ships attack other players’ merchants or b) Used alone to attack other players’ (recognized) German ships.

So we just “started playing” .

First, we just figured combat resolution would be similar to other games: If the attack roll is higher than the defense roll, the target is sunk. If the two rolls are equal, the target is damaged. (“Wonder why there are so many damage cubes?”)

Second, we only allowed prize ships to try for Safe Passage, and then only if the player held a Fair Weather card.

Luckily, we played a three-player game last night with a new player, so we had a little downtime to review the rules.

“You need to double the damage value to sink a ship?? A roll greater than the defense only damages it?!? So that’s what that whole section on Additional Damage is about!”

“Every merchant or prize can try for Safe Passage if it survives an attack undamaged? Well, that sure makes those cheap attacks a little riskier.”

Sure am glad we played this again before heading to WBC. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha. My problem is more the reverse: I tend to assume that I can't play a game until I have every single rule memorized, which is silly.

Anyway, I think your interpretation of the Safe Passage rules is correct, although that's not quite what the rule says:

Rules wrote:
Whenever an undamaged Merchantman or undamaged Prize
Ship survives an Intercept! (not Mines or Submarine attacks), it
may immediately attempt to sail to a friendly port.

It could and I think should be read your way; it could, though, I think be read to say that a ship that was undamaged at the start and isn't sunk by the Intercept! (i.e., "survives") can try for Safe Passage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. When I read the rules with my ASL glasses on, I assumed Safe Passage could be attempted if the surviving ship started the round undamaged (regardless of damage taken during the intercept).

When I got into the 'spirit' of the game on the various cards, I changed my interpretation. If it got damaged, the raider has an easier time running it down and possibly sinking it later.

Much like 'Why is a 3 point merchantman easier to get to port than a 9 pointer?'. Because The Bad Guys will make an extra effort to follow that big ship they spotted that was full of goods. They'll let the little rowboat go on, hoping for bigger fish later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Only undamaged merchantmen may attempt safe passage either via surviving and Intercept! or by the use of a Safe Passage Action card. This doesn't relate to its condition at the start of an Intercept!, it relates to its condition when attempting the Safe Passage.

If a merchantman is damaged in an Intercept! it may not attempt Safe Passage. It may also not attempt Safe Passage if attacked by mines or a submarine torpedo attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
???

Does a "Safe Passage Action Card" really exist?

The set I'm using doesn't include such a card included nor is it listed in the rules section 3.3 Summary of Action Cards.

It does have "Fair Seas". Is that what you mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.