Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of the skills are simply begging to be used against another player. I want to be able to use my Weapon Use skill and attack another player to give him the Wounded/Crippled Status. Use my powerful Magics in order to give horrible effects to my opponents. Or maybe use my Disguise Skill and steal Wealth from my rivals. Would it be possible to do a Variant like this? I know that there was some rule in the original version that was akin to this might it work here too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Henderson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Starsaver wrote:
I know that there was some rule in the original version that was akin to this might it work here too?

The original rules are posted in the files section of the 1985 version of Tales of the Arabian Nights. Paragraph 26 describes the optional rule which allows a player to use his skills against another player. I don't see any reason that you couldn't use that rule in the new version of the game. Just be aware that since "Major Magic" and "Minor Magic" have been replaced by simply "Magic" you would have to decide which of the results from the old game would apply in the new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing this out! No idea why Z-Man didn't include these rules in the recent rerelease, but they sure sound like fun, and could easily be included.

Looking over the 1985 rules, though, I see that they only make provision for using SOME skills against other players. Which is too bad, because this might make players even more likely to select these skills at the beginning of the game. (And in my opinion, the last thing the game needs to do is give players MORE encouragement to select already-overused skills such as Weapons Use or Magic.)

Maybe we could expand this list to fill in the gaps, so that EVERY skill had potential player-versus-player utility....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An easy fix for the magic issue would be to treat talent level magic as "minor" and master level magic as "major" for the purposes of player versus player.

Some skills, such as wilderness lore, seamanship and enduring hardship simply do not lend themselves to player versus player, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds very cool. Not ever having owned the original, are the rules available online somewhere? I'd like to try this out.

edit: wow, silly me, just looked at the originals entry and there they are kinda forget about my post except for the 'very cool' and 'like to try this out' parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok all, here is my first attempt at filling in the blanks for Player interaction, these have not been play tested but seem to have similar effects as other Skills. I modified Weapon Use to include a Talent/Master level result.

Let me know what you guys think. I think the cost of 5 destiny sounds high but left that alone, maybe 3 or something sounds more fair.

Also, if any of you have played the original, how does it work when using Piety?
You pay 5 Destiny to use the skill, and may gain 3? so is that really only -2 Destiny, or is it that you don't really lose the 5 but gain 3?

Thanks!

If this looks ok to everyone I'll upload it as a PDF or something.

edit: Skills I added: Courtly Graces, Enduring Hardship, Magic (from this thread), Quick Thinking, Seamanship, Wilderness Lore, Wisdom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried this yet, but I absolutely LOVE the concept!! However, I agree that 5 destiny points is too steep. I'm not sure what the cost should be. Perhaps there can be some sort of dice roll involved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I was thinking you could write a new reaction matrix and some paragraphs for player vs. player encounters. If you move to a space with another player, instead of having a normal encounter, you could encounter the other player by selecting that matrix. Then you roll your die. The rows would be labelled with statuses. So you could encounter an Envious Player or an Ensorcelled Player or a Respected Player. However you only use a row if the other player actually has that status. If not, move down the rows until you find a status they do have (one or more rows would probably say "no status required").

Then you choose your reaction. Rob, Attack. Not all reactions have to be aggressive though. You could Seek Aid or even Court. The ways of removing certain statuses that ask you to give wealth to another player with a certain skill could be rolled into this. If you Seek Aid from a player with Magic, the result could be that you lose your status and they gain wealth. Other results could be as you say. If you Rob a player using Stealth and Stealing, you gain wealth and they lose it. If you Rob them using Weapon Use, you can wealth, they lose it, and they gain Wounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adonai_80 wrote:
Ok all, here is my first attempt at filling in the blanks for Player interaction, these have not been play tested but seem to have similar effects as other Skills. I modified Weapon Use to include a Talent/Master level result.

Let me know what you guys think. I think the cost of 5 destiny sounds high but left that alone, maybe 3 or something sounds more fair.

Also, if any of you have played the original, how does it work when using Piety?
You pay 5 Destiny to use the skill, and may gain 3? so is that really only -2 Destiny, or is it that you don't really lose the 5 but gain 3?

Thanks!

If this looks ok to everyone I'll upload it as a PDF or something.

edit: Skills I added: Courtly Graces, Enduring Hardship, Magic (from this thread), Quick Thinking, Seamanship, Wilderness Lore, Wisdom

I like it but I think that you shouldnt only use Destiny Points as it places more of an emphasis on Destiny and would influence the choices of a player's Win Formula. I say that you get to choose which points to use to power your abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this isn't MY stuff, I took these rules straight from the original and added in the skills that were missing. I'm up for suggestions on what to change, I do think it shouldn't just be Destiny points as well, and as stated before, it should be 3 or so. 5 seems high. Maybe a combination of the two is possible as well, you spend 3 points worth of destiny/story in any combination you want.
ex, S1 and D2 or D3 or D1 and S2 or S3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it seems that Zev has come up with a few of those for us. In the official Variant, you can activate a skill by spending 4D for a Talent level skill and 2D for a Master level skill. I was thinking of modifying it a bit further like so.

Environmental Modifiers-
When you use a skill on certain board spaces you can lower the Destiny cost if you have the appropriate Skill that references the appropriate board space. The cost will be lowered by D1 for a Talent level Environmental Skill and D2 for a Master level Environmental Skill.

Island/Sea-Seamanship
City-Acting and Disguise
Forest/Mountain-Wilderness Lore

So a properly planned character can better use his or her skills in environments where they are more comfortable. For example-A pirate type character will have Mastered Seamanship meaning that he could use PVP skills much easier while at sea meaning that the other players will want to stay away from him.

Just an idea, any thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I was actually happy he released the official variant, but was thinking the ones I had included for Courtly Graces, Seamanship and Wilderness Lore were good for the 'theme'. I do like the idea of just lowering the cost depending on if you have the skill instead of just giving statuses. I may house rule that and add that to his effects.

thanks for the feedback

edit: grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.