Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that the wargame industry in Canada is rather quiet... Since shipping costs from USA or other countries severely inflates the bill, I'm looking for a good store on this side of the Canadian border. Any suggestion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never ordered from them, but I believe The Sentry Box is generally considered one of the better ones.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gerardy
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used One Way Games (ebay store) with great success. They also have a new website http://www.wiredforfun.ca/ . Prices are in US dollars, but now would be a good time to buy with the exchange rates.

Another one would be http://www.stalag17wargames.com/ . Canadian, but sells in US dollars. I've never ordered from here, but I have heard good things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Calgarian, I'm fortunate to have the Sentry Box nearby. They carry pretty much every wargame published in english. And the inventory of out-of-print games is enormous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had really good luck with both J&J Cards and the German Boardgame Company in Waterloo and Kitchener respectively, although the later is less wargame focused. If J&J doesn't have a title in stock, they can always get it, their staff/owners are extremely friendly and knolwedgeable, and their prices are good.

I've also heard good things about Meeplemart in Toronto, but haven't visited the store in person or seen their inventory.

I also know of a good just outside Edmonton going north towards Athabaska I stumbled across on a business trip in St. Albert called Mission Fun and Games. Huge stock of everything imaginable, including many out of print titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
It seems to me that the wargame industry in Canada is rather quiet... Since shipping costs from USA or other countries severely inflates the bill, I'm looking for a good store on this side of the Canadian border. Any suggestion?

Another thumbs up for the Sentry Box ... they really are a legend in the local gaming scene; if its in print, they'll have it ... and if its out of print, they probably have it too. You're paying full retail, though.

You might find that your local gaming stores (or even comic stores ... many carry games) will special order wargames for you.

Discount wargames ... hmmm, that's tricky ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My view from the GTA:

1. Levalet has had some great selection and prices on some items. Shipping is very inexpensive.

2. Oneway/wiredforfun.ca has a good selection and prices are ok. Shipping is reasonable.

3. fungamescafe.com has a limited wargame selection but they are very good for service (and if you can do pickups, like me, shipping is free!)

4. The Comic Book Warehouse in Brampton has a very large selection for a FLGS. Prices are retail.

5. I've never been to meeplemart but I see them at TABSCON and have purchased from them. Good people as well.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J&J's in Waterloo, ON is a great store, and also has a decent online store as well (www.jjcards.com). While they sell all kinds of games, they have a decent selection of wargames, and if they don't have it, they're happy to order it in. They also have great prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nolan
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken:

Leon here in Saskatoon (One Way Games - mail order) is great to work with and can order just about anything you want (GMT, MMP, Avalanche, etc.) - prices are about what you would expect. And having recently been to the Sentry Box for the first time, I can say it is very impressive - prices there are reasonable too.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.