Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I simulated my first game of Baseball Classic and a play resulted that I could not clearly follow in the Field Manager’s Rulebook. Note that I have experience with SOM, and SPB, and I want to get up to speed on all the advanced rules of BC as quickly as possible. This is what happened:

Runners on 1st and 2nd. Dice results indicate batter’s card is used for outcome, and the result is GO. Basic Rules indicate “When the result is “Groundout”, refer to the Baseball Classics Groundout result table.” The Groundout Results Table has a row for 1st and 2nd, with three options listed as OR conditions. There is no indication on how or why any of the three possibilities might apply.

For reference and to put the play into perspective, the team on defense was allowing a crooked number that inning, so they would have been happy to make an attempt on the runner going from first to second to get the second out. In other words, they would not have attempted the force out at third. (EDIT: the slower runner was on 1st advancing to 2nd)

Any advice or rules clarification?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Escanaba
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game a month or so ago, played about 11 games or so replaying the 1909 Tigers, and have the same question on the groundout results. I chose to just randomize the option to take.

The "rule" I would love to have explained is the rain delay result on the advanced simulator chart (or whatever it is called). I have had multiple rain delays occur in every game I played except one, where it happened just once.

Nowhere does the game state what effects the delay has (Pull your pitcher, stop the game, etc.).

I also took to altering the base running as it is extremely hard to score a runner from 2nd on a single.

So yeah, the rules leave a bit to be desired...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually contacted the designer/developer and they replied the player 'chooses' what option they want for the result of GO. They were very good about responding, so just go to their website and click contact us to email them. Post back their result here if you would

cheers
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrad Brunner

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The defensive manager chooses the result.

You might give the new fielding grid a try instead. It gives a nice visualization of each play while using individual defensive ratings rather than collective team ratings for error determination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.