Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the "Zombie Apocalypse" scenario. This one was a very close one, as the heroes managed to hole up in a few of the buildings, preventing them from being destroyed and had amassed enough weapons and abilities to be able to fight off the hordes. Unfortunately for the heroes, between 25 cards being discarded to zombie card effects, and at least 12 cards being thrown away due to the supermarket's "Pick-Up" effect, the hero deck dwindled down to nothing. There was finally only one card left in the deck, and thanks to a 1-2 punch of a "Bite" zombie card and Sally taking a wound, the new hero that would replace her would be forced to draw 2 cards when there was only one left. So the zombies took it down with the sun track on 2.

Highlights were:
I used Billy in a suicide bombing attack with a combination of Dynamite, a Fire Extinguisher, and the "I'll See You in Hell!" card. I ran into the midst of some zombies that were about to pull down the highschool, pulled some of them toward me with the extinguisher, then blew myself up, nuking 6 zombies in the process. Long term, it obviously didn't win us the game, but bought us a few precious rounds before they were able to take that building. And it was a very fun combo to pull off!

I was in a battle with Johnny and the zombie rolled a 2. I had three fight dice not counting the chainsaw I was carrying. And somehow I rolled three 1's!! It was make it or break it time, so I threw in the dice for the chainsaw, realizing that if I hit another 1 it was all she wrote, but I made a higher roll and turned the battle back to my favor.

Basically the opposite occurence happened to end the game though, as Sally (the last hero to die) just needed to beat a 3 using 3 dice, and didn't quite get there, and forcing the zombie to re-roll didn't help either.

A fun, nail-biting game that really ended up close. Had we used the supermarket pick up fewer times, we might have made it, but then we had never seen the deck run out so weren't too concerned about it early on. We were playing with all three suppliments, so the deck seemed pretty robust to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I had thought that the heroes only lose if the zombie player forces them to draw and they cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ska_baron wrote:
Hmmm... I had thought that the heroes only lose if the zombie player forces them to draw and they cannot.

Correct. When a new hero enters play during the game, they have to draw two hero cards (and I believe one more card if they start in the center space). With only one card left in the deck, that was GG.

I don't think there are any Zombie cards that directly cause a hero to draw a card (wouldn't make sense for them to, since 99.9% of the time, heroes would WANT to draw cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Errr - doh.

That's what I meant - I thought it was if they were forced to discard and they couldnt. So if they were supposed to draw and couldnt all that would happen was they didnt draw a card.

There. THAT makes some sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Jones
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are zombie cards that make heros draw 10 or 5 cards and then discard them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the heroes don't loose if there aren't anymore cards to draw. They only loose if the zombie player discards the remaining card.

Don't have the rules here, but I'm almost positive it's mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are cards that "reveal and discard" cards from the hero deck, but none that make the heroes draw them.

And Lublang is correct, according to the FAQs on p22 of the rulebook, drawing the last card of the hero deck does NOT cause the heroes to lose. The Heroes automatically lose only if a zombie card causes the last card to be discarded (or if there are no cards, and a zombie card is played that would discard some).

So it looks like a minor rules misinterpretation cost the heroes the game. Dammit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.